Battery battery?

However, alkalines have a big problem, they're very load sensitive. A heavy load will kill the effective capacity. This is why they wouldn't even last an hour on GP2X.
I understand that a LiPo battery will give us better battery life than AAs, but I have to call you out on this one. I never had less than a 3 hour battery life with the GP2X, even on shitty AAs.

-God Ginrai

I understand that a LiPo battery will give us better battery life than AAs, but I have to call you out on this one. I never had less than a 3 hour battery life with the GP2X, even on shitty AAs.
AA is not synonymous with alkaline, which is what I referred to. Many different technologies can be found in AA form factor. Even Lithium. You were probably using NiCD or NiMH if you got 3 hours.

Terrible battery life on alkaline was a well known problem on GP2X, see here:

http://wiki.gp2x.org/articles/g/p/2/GP2X_Issues.html#Life_of_Batteries_that_come_with_the_GP2X

Last edited by a moderator:
AA is not synonymous with alkaline, which is what I referred to. Many different technologies can be found in AA form factor. Even Lithium. You were probably using NiCD or NiMH if you got 3 hours.

Terrible battery life on alkaline was a well known problem on GP2X, see here:

http://wiki.gp2x.org/articles/g/p/2/GP2X_Issues.html#Life_of_Batteries_that_come_with_the_GP2X
That's why I specifically mentioned "shitty" batteries. I had rechargeables that I normally used. But every once in a while, I needed to fork out for some cheap duracell or energizer alkalines due to my rechargeables dying on me while I was out. I never got less than 3 hours with those. My rechargeables normally got me 5 hours.

-God Ginrai

I dont really know what size Pyras battery will be, and never had a pandora, but still, listen up:

Maybe we should make a "Dummy DC-DC battery" which accepts AA (AAA if the battery is small) inside?

What do you do when you battery runs out of power? See any electricity sockets? NO.

See any shops? Yes. Do they got batteries? Most probably.
Do they have micro-USB phone chargers? Most probably. Just get one of those. Problem solved :)

That's why I specifically mentioned "shitty" batteries. I had rechargeables that I normally used. But every once in a while, I needed to fork out for some cheap duracell or energizer alkalines due to my rechargeables dying on me while I was out. I never got less than 3 hours with those. My rechargeables normally got me 5 hours.
Having vastly reduced capacity under heavy load is a well known problem with Alkaline. I think very few alkalines would get 3 hours in a condition where high end NiMH would get 5 hours on GP2X. http://www.powerstream.com/AA-tests.htm

"Full" load on GP2X will probably tend to be around 500mAh (hence ~5 hours using ~2.5Ah NiMH), where only those Energizer Titaniums would have gotten you at best 3 hours. It's higher than the number I gave, but that's probably more in line with the true shitty batteries - dirt cheap no-names like the ones GPH was including with GP2X. I don't think any of these except maybe the Duracells are even the standard line for the company. Note it'll probably be worse than the math suggests because the alkalines have a worsening voltage curve, so the current draw will climb up as the voltage lowers (assuming that it doesn't pass beneath threshold to begin with, which will much higher than the 0.1V used in this test)

My NiMHs might've lasted for longer than 5 hours. I never really timed those ones, I just remembered that they lasted a full car trip on a trip that I knew to take ~5-5.5 hours. Also, I had a whole bag of them, so I'm not sure that any pair of NiMHs I ever inserted were actually at full charge.

-God Ginrai

My NiMHs might've lasted for longer than 5 hours. I never really timed those ones, I just remembered that they lasted a full car trip on a trip that I knew to take ~5-5.5 hours. Also, I had a whole bag of them, so I'm not sure that any pair of NiMHs I ever inserted were actually at full charge.

-God Ginrai
I wonder.. with 2500mAh NiMH you generally don't even get 4.5 hours.. http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/29240-battery-life-on-gp2x/

You could do better with higher capacity, but I was using that as a baseline.

-God Ginrai
I wonder.. with 2500mAh NiMH you generally don't even get 4.5 hours.. http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/29240-battery-life-on-gp2x/

You could do better with higher capacity, but I was using that as a baseline.
My NiMHs were 3000mAh Energizers, IIRC.

-God Ginrai

Back