Battery Problem Or Gp2x Problem?

lucifershalo

Still Fresh
you know the effect when your batteries are running flat?
you switch on the gp2x
you have the black screen and introduction music
then the loading green screen
then the orange interface
when u are running flat
then it is all white...or flickering...or rainbow lines
and stuck

I had that so decided to try rechargeable batteries
2 different pairs
nothing
new "normal" batteries...nothing!

with the multivoltage power supply
on 3 v...nothing
on 4,5 v it is working but with "waves" on the screen
I stopped cause I was afraid the voltage will be too much for the gp2x to cope with

does someone know what is happening and can help me?
thanks

Does your multi voltage power supply have removable ends? If it does did you put the positive and negative in the correct direvtion. As for why your batteries are not powering it, are the batteries loose in the machine at all? I can't really help out in terms of technical problems, but I have noticed that my rechargeables are slightly bigger than normal AA batteries and they push my battery connectors closer to the console a lot.

Mine is doing something similar, turn it on, you get the splash screen come up then the display corrupts and it makes a funny noise. Batteries are brand new as is the console :( Are the batteries included no good? I am charging up some nice Sony rechargeables now so if they don't blow up I'll try them :) but it looks like it might be an RMA...

Any advice welcome!

Yeah, the batteries that come with the unit are no good agentbob, sounds like thats the problem.

SiDCrAzY posted on Mar 23 2007 at 10:02 AM said:
Yeah, the batteries that come with the unit are no good agentbob, sounds like thats the problem.

Thanks SiDCrAzY, once the Sony batteries are cooked I'll pop them in and see what hapens :)

Last edited by a moderator:
lucifershalo posted on Mar 20 2007 at 09:50 AM said:
you know the effect when your batteries are running flat?
you switch on the gp2x
then the loading green screen
then the orange interface
when u are running flat
then it is all white...or flickering...or rainbow lines
and stuck

I had that so decided to try rechargeable batteries
2 different pairs
nothing
new "normal" batteries...nothing!

with the multivoltage power supply
on 3 v...nothing
on 4,5 v it is working but with "waves" on the screen
I stopped cause I was afraid the voltage will be too much for the gp2x to cope with

does someone know what is happening and can help me?
thanks
Did you experience this problem ever since you got your GP2X or did it just start recently?

SiDCrAzY posted on Mar 23 2007 at 10:02 AM said:

Just tried it wih the Sony's (2100mAh Ni-MH) and its working fine :)

Thanks for the help all!

Just tried it with the -5
Sony's and its working fine -7
Thanks for the help all! -5

:lol:

I found the batteries that come with the newer units arn't too bad, but will probably need charging up before use.

Unless you specifically bought rechargables in a special package deal or something then you usually get these crappy off brand batteries. Throw those away...they last ~5 minutes tops. Get some nice 2500mAH rechargables. You wont regret it and they can be pretty cheap.

@lucifershalo: Definitely try bending the battery contacts back in towards the batteries. I put mine in the wrong way once (+ to + instead of - to - to example) and that was enough to bend the contacts back too much.

cHEM said:
I found the batteries that come with the newer units arn't too bad, but will probably need charging up before use.

mine were actually half full .. strange ;:)

pongplaya said:
cHEM said:

mine were actually half full .. strange ;:)

no, that's pretty standard for rechargeables. they usually don't ship them full since they'll wear out faster if they're just sitting unused but full (but not as fast as they sit unused and empty). i think i read somewhere that 40% is ideal for some types of rechargeables. plus even if it was shipped full, they don't hold the charge forever.

Sorry to dredge, but I'm currently crippled by the same (similar?) problem for the past coupla weeks.

I have a couple of pairs of 2500maH NiMH batteries I got when I picked up my GP2X (September 2006) - a generic brand I had lying around, and some brand new Energizer 2500s (incl slow 15hr charger). They've had a reasonable amount of use, but nothing too extensive.

Recently, after a full charge (and then, in desperation, two cycles of full discharge and recharge), the generic brand will run the GP2X for only a a few minutes (used to be 4-5 hours), and if I leave them in the machine after that, turned off, no matter how much charge it had left when I stopped it'll be dead when I return.

The Energisers very confidently boot to the Green Screen and play the startup sound, and then where it would fire up GMenu2X I get the Rainbow Screen Of Death as if they're flat. :(

This is all on firmware 2.1.1

I've read in other 'battery issue' threads about some hardware issue that can lead to batteries running down while the machine's off, and that it's "an easy fix", but I've found no more details on it (nor that thread when I searched for it just now). I don't expect there's a hardware issue with my unit, and I'll just have to buy some more batteries :( but I wanted to check before I (perhaps) through good money after bad. These batteries aren't cheap!

Line O'Sevens said:
Sorry to dredge, but I'm currently crippled by the same (similar?) problem for the past coupla weeks.

I have a couple of pairs of 2500maH NiMH batteries I got when I picked up my GP2X (September 2006) - a generic brand I had lying around, and some brand new Energizer 2500s (incl slow 15hr charger). They've had a reasonable amount of use, but nothing too extensive.

Recently, after a full charge (and then, in desperation, two cycles of full discharge and recharge), the generic brand will run the GP2X for only a a few minutes (used to be 4-5 hours), and if I leave them in the machine after that, turned off, no matter how much charge it had left when I stopped it'll be dead when I return.

The Energisers very confidently boot to the Green Screen and play the startup sound, and then where it would fire up GMenu2X I get the Rainbow Screen Of Death as if they're flat. :(

This is all on firmware 2.1.1

I've read in other 'battery issue' threads about some hardware issue that can lead to batteries running down while the machine's off, and that it's "an easy fix", but I've found no more details on it (nor that thread when I searched for it just now). I don't expect there's a hardware issue with my unit, and I'll just have to buy some more batteries :( but I wanted to check before I (perhaps) through good money after bad. These batteries aren't cheap!
On average, How many times have you been charging them, eg. Once a day, Twice a day, Once a week ?, You seem to have had them for around 10 months and rechargables only have on average 500 and up to 1000 charges in their life cycle. The type of charger you use to charge your batteries can have an affect on the amount of charges (lifespan) your batteries will accept before completely dying.

They maybe just at the end of their life.

Trooper

Hrmm... charged maybe (on average) a couple of times a week? Maybe once a week during leaner times?

The thing is, they still work for hours and hours (3-4?) in a torch - that's what I use to discharge them fully. And the GP2X works perfectly finely with the AC adaptor.

It's possible they're dead I guess, but they're only dead to the GP2X it seems. As handy as it is to have some spare batteries around the house, it's not really a luxury I wanted to try to budget for. I can get some no-name 2500maH NiMH for another 10 bucks or so (won't break the bank), but if it's only gonna give me another 10 months of use before I need some more...

I guess it'd be nicer to find out there was something wrong with my GP2X that I could get fixed. :)

Line O'Sevens said:
It's possible they're dead I guess, but they're only dead to the GP2X it seems.
The gp2x is more hungry for current than a flashlight. It typically will become underpowered before the batteries are drained, whereas a flashlight will just get dimmer but keep working. Plus, you'll probably notice that if you leave the batteries alone for a few hours, you can get a little more out of them later. Not that it makes much sense to do that, but my point is that the gp2x, like other handheld electronics, has a much higher threshold for how much juice it needs, so your batteries definitely do have some charge left in them when they become unusable in the gp2x.

Yeah... sounds about right - disappointingly.

No biggie in the great scheme of things - I'll just get some more cheapies from ledshoppe.com :wub: - but when people express concern about the GP2X and battery life, I guess they don't quite realise just how all-encompassing those concerns may well be. :)

You must use photo or digital grade batteries (high drain), higher the better. Go for 2650NiMH or 2700NiMH. Don't compromise.

When batteries die in the GP2x the screen "rainbows" and/or goes off - that is all. Simply, there is not enough power left. If you get music, sticks on a screen image; that is more likely the GP2x itself, or faulty flashing.

Cheap source for power batteries is of course, E-bay. You should be able to get them, delivered, for around the equivalent of £1.50-£2 each.

Back