Release Battle For Wesnoth 1.6.2

I just didn't let my left handed sister learn to use the mouse left handed. It was for everyone's good including hers. People who have to do everything left handed are hurting themselves later on when they have to use right handed tools, etc.

It's better just to learn to deal with being the minority. Then you will be that much more ambidextrous than the right handed people. Doing otherwise I think is basically like choosing a handicap. I can understand a little because I did have my right hand injured in 7th grade which made it temporarily useless for some purposes but I don't think that was a good thing. I honestly wish I was forced to use my left hand for some things when I was younger. Fortunately, most left handed people are forced to use their right hand at least some, and IMO it's a good thing.

I just didn't let my left handed sister learn to use the mouse left handed. It was for everyone's good including hers. People who have to do everything left handed are hurting themselves later on when they have to use right handed tools, etc.
Well, a mouse is one thing, other things which actually require some dexterity is completely different. In general I think people ought to learn to do things with their non-dominant hand, the more development of the other side you do, the better off you are later on if you really need to be able to do it.

But then again, I'm personally ambidextrous and as such I'm a tad biased. I love being able to carry my keys in my left hand and my radio in the right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can use a mouse pretty well right-handed, but I can't write right-handed, so stylus movements / scroll bars / whatever should have an option for flipping.

Especially scrollbars. This is the most frustrating design feature on my Palm Z22, that I have to cover the whole screen just to scroll. Makes it hard to scroll, really.

tsh said:
How can we get diagonal movement without using number keys?

Well - I usually use the DPad to scroll around and the stylus to make the movements.
Pretty comfortable fro me :)

Last edited:
milkshake said:
the latest version is now 1.8.2 do u reckon that could be compiled?
+1
The latest Wesnoth has alot new features compared to the old 1.6.2 Version. :) These Wesnoth Guys really do quite alot of stuff, seems to be a really large Dev. Comunity. ^^

EvilDragon said:
tsh said:
How can we get diagonal movement without using number keys?

Well - I usually use the DPad to scroll around and the stylus to make the movements.
Pretty comfortable fro me :)

Yea, works great for me. By the way, anyone know if there is a button to "unselect"? sometimes I accidentally make a unit move because I still had them selected.

fusion_power said:
milkshake said:
+1
The latest Wesnoth has alot new features compared to the old 1.6.2 Version. :) These Wesnoth Guys really do quite alot of stuff, seems to be a really large Dev. Comunity. ^^

+1, now that I've become addicted to the game. ;)

-God Ginrai

milkshake said:
I plan to eventually create a pnd of the latest Wesnoth releases. But before I am able to do so I got to setup the dev environment (aka cross compiler) over here and got to get it running. So far I was too busy testing my pandora to actually do so. But yeah, I am confident that eventually you will see a 1.8.x Wesnoth release running nicely on the pandora...

God Ginrai said:
Yea, works great for me. By the way, anyone know if there is a button to "unselect"? sometimes I accidentally make a unit move because I still had them selected.
Just right-click on an empty hex when you got a unit selected.

Ivanovic said:
I plan to eventually create a pnd of the latest Wesnoth releases. But before I am able to do so I got to setup the dev environment (aka cross compiler) over here and got to get it running. So far I was too busy testing my pandora to actually do so. But yeah, I am confident that eventually you will see a 1.8.x Wesnoth release running nicely on the pandora...
Go, Ivanovic, Go! :D Good luck with the port.
Does Wesnoth (PC) actualy use OpenGL or DirectX or any HW Accelerated Stuff? I never found this out. And will it be "Software only" onto the Pandora (beacuse it is a 2D game) or can it benefit from some OMAP HW tricks? I'm just curious. :)

EvilDragon said:
Ivanovic said:

Right-click is not comfy with a touchscreen :)
Oah, details! Once there is middleclick support for the right nub (the kernel change is already in git!), you can simply use the nubs for controlling. The left one moves the mouse cursor. If you hold down the right one (aka "middleclick") and move the left one, you move the screen section. Clicking, doubleclicking and rightclicking are possible already, too... Yeah, life would have been easier if the shouler buttons by default implemented left and rightclicking, but that ain't the case... ;)

fusion_power said:
Ivanovic said:
Go, Ivanovic, Go! :D Good luck with the port.
Does Wesnoth (PC) actualy use OpenGL or DirectX or any HW Accelerated Stuff? I never found this out. And will it be "Software only" onto the Pandora (beacuse it is a 2D game) or can it benefit from some OMAP HW tricks? I'm just curious. :)
Currently Wesnoth does use plain SDL. No hardware acceleration whatever is used. Though the iphone port does use some OpenGL ES magic but sadly it is really ugly and barely portable in a clean way. Once we find someone willing to do so we plan to migrate to a (plain and simple) OpenGL backend that would use OpenGL ES for rendering Wesnoth, but this requires lots of work.
In general: OpenGL does not mean that things have to be 3D! Yeah, OpenGL is great for doing 2D stuff, too. Eg have a look at http://www.frogatto.com which is a 2D platform game that the creator of Wesnoth started and where some other Wesnoth people help, too (including artists). It is based upon OpenGL (ES) and works on the iPhone (OpenGL ES) as well as on "normal" computers (plain OpenGL).

Hey, this "Frogatto" indeed looks interesting, I love this kind of Pixel Art, same for Wesnoth. :)
I bet Frogatto would also look very nice onto the Pandora, right? ;)

Ivanovic said:
EvilDragon said:
Ivanovic said:

Oah, details! Once there is middleclick support for the right nub (the kernel change is already in git!), you can simply use the nubs for controlling. The left one moves the mouse cursor. If you hold down the right one (aka "middleclick") and move the left one, you move the screen section. Clicking, doubleclicking and rightclicking are possible already, too... Yeah, life would have been easier if the shouler buttons by default implemented left and rightclicking, but that ain't the case... ;)

Using the nubs to emulate mouseclicks is ok for some people, but I don't like it that much. I would much prefer ABXY to be mapped to those, or one of the triggers. I think it would work much better that way.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Ivanovic said:
EvilDragon said:
Ivanovic said:

Using the nubs to emulate mouseclicks is ok for some people, but I don't like it that much. I would much prefer ABXY to be mapped to those, or one of the triggers. I think it would work much better that way.

-God Ginrai
Yes, I do think the same. The problem is that this is the available default config and it can't easily be changed now that the firmware is out without breaking backwards compatibility with existing programs.

ok another dumb question....newbie question... I downloaded the PND on my Pandora.
Placed it in my pandora/desktop menu. CLicked on the file and it brought me back to the OS screen. What did I do wrong?

Ivanovic said:
Yes, I do think the same. The problem is that this is the available default config and it can't easily be changed now that the firmware is out without breaking backwards compatibility with existing programs.
But it would be enough, if only each Program has its own settings that have higher priority than the default settings. So you can have ABXY Mouse Buttons or whatever if you are in wesnoth and normal mappings in the OS. I hope the Pandora Devs were smart enough to implement App-Setting goes over OS-Settings. ^^
Of course I want my mouse Buttons to L+R (or ABXY) in every game and of course I expect that this does NOT interact with the normal OS/Menu settings.

The problem with moving mouse buttons to gaming buttons was that games that used mouse AND gaming controls at the same time would cause trouble.

Back