Bbc Corrupted

Oh, I see, like a yearly/monthly fee to support public broadcast among other things.

Do you guys have the same thing for radio, too?

LHC said:
The TV licence covers anything that the BBC does, but we have commercial tv and commercial radio as well.
many people try to avoid this by saying "we dont watch the bbc anyway" (lets face it who does thers like 1 descent show a year and WAYYY to many repeats

Last edited by a moderator:
Draken said:
They air Doctor Who, which is a brilliant series. (can't wait for series 4)
if by 'brilliant series' you mean 'Waste of license fee' then yes it is a 'brilliant series' id rather watch a blank screen...

Samba Pa Ti said:
if by 'brilliant series' you mean 'Waste of license fee' then yes it is a 'brilliant series' id rather watch a blank screen...
No, with 'brilliant series' I meant exactly that. :)

LHC said:
The TV licence covers anything that the BBC does, but we have commercial tv and commercial radio as well.
The TV license just means they can sit on there backsides and do nothing but repeat programs all day long, rather than having to make a living like the other channels via adverts, and so having to give you something you'll actually watch so hopefully you'll watch the adverts too.

Samba Pa Ti said:
Draken said:

I think the built in snow channels are better than Dr Who, and slightly less repetitive than blank screen to boot!

No, with 'brilliant series' I meant exactly that.

But... there's always one! :D

Squidge said:
LHC said:
The TV license just means they can sit on there backsides and do nothing but repeat programs all day long, rather than having to make a living like the other channels via adverts, and so having to give you something you'll actually watch so hopefully you'll watch the adverts too.

Samba Pa Ti said:
Draken said:

I think the built in snow channels are better than Dr Who, and slightly less repetitive than blank screen to boot!

I whole heartedly agree. There have been 2 passable episodes out of 36 so far. What a waste and continuity no longer exists. They even contradict knoledge revealed earlier in each episode! I now despise Russell T. Davies.
Squidge said:

No, with 'brilliant series' I meant exactly that.
But... there's always one! :D

Burn him!

Seeing as it's license payers money, it should really be open sourced. You can't expect the BBC to make it for all OSes so where do they stop? A BeOS or Amiga port would be pointless, but I'm sure BeOS and Amiga users would cry about this.

It should really be open-source, allowing developers to compile it for different systems, but then the DRM is difficult to implement, so...

sam fisher said:
I whole heartedly agree. There have been 2 passable episodes out of 36 so far. What a waste and continuity no longer exists. They even contradict knoledge revealed earlier in each episode! I now despise Russell T. Davies.
You're right, continuity no longer exists, but meh..

Draken said:
yes thats the one show :p

though Russel T davis just sucks as the writer yet the majority of "steven moffat" episodes (like blink etc) where pretty good.

sadly the bbc likes to milk dr who.

Sarah jane mysteries is...ok for YOUNG kids
Torchwood is just sex (and sadly the best of the spin offs <_< )
K9 and friends...I hope they cancel that like they did the original
Billy pipers show = cancelled (hey they got 1 thing right)

and did the writers ever see any episode of the old dr who aside from the autons

Of the dozen or so standing orders that leave my account every month - the one I least despise is my TV licence fee.

Britain has probably the best TV in the world - and this is because of the BBC. The commercial channels have to meet its standards - and it can try innovative programs that push boundaries in the right direction, not the lowest common denominator direction, e.g. BB, IACGMOOH and other bollocks.

It is also the worlds largest news gathering organisation - just watch other countries news programmes - its scary! Some people are blatantly lied to - if you have sky (which I don't have anymore - refuse to give my money to Rupert Murdoch) try the US Fox News - its mental. If you ever wondered how the americans managed to re-elect the simian G W Gimp its because just enough of them think this is the news.

I have an Iraqi colleague at work - and he always talks about how, in Iraq, the BBC world service was the only reliable source of news under Saddam.

I often think there is very few things to be proud of about being british, but the BBC is one of them.

sabregolly said:
Of the dozen or so standing orders that leave my account every month - the one I least despise is my TV licence fee.

Britain has probably the best TV in the world - and this is because of the BBC. The commercial channels have to meet its standards - and it can try innovative programs that push boundaries in the right direction, not the lowest common denominator direction, e.g. BB, IACGMOOH and other bollocks.

It is also the worlds largest news gathering organisation - just watch other countries news programmes - its scary! Some people are blatantly lied to - if you have sky (which I don't have anymore - refuse to give my money to Rupert Murdoch) try the US Fox News - its mental. If you ever wondered how the americans managed to re-elect the simian G W Gimp its because just enough of them think this is the news.

I have an Iraqi colleague at work - and he always talks about how, in Iraq, the BBC world service was the only reliable source of news under Saddam.

I often think there is very few things to be proud of about being british, but the BBC is one of them.
I won`t ask you what the "C" stands for in IACGMOOH. :rolleyes:

Trooper

Britain has probably the best TV in the world - and this is because of the BBC.

Your kidding, right?

It seems to me that they just like wasting money on big name series. Dr Who is crap, Torchwood was boring after the first few episodes (same old, same old). Now they have Heroes, and advertising it everywhere because of the stupid amount of money paid for it, despite the fact it's already been aired in the UK, and most people who would like it have already watched it.

What are they going to air next, the first season of 24, or Standoff?

I say we all refuse to pay our license fee in protest! :p

Squidge said:
I say we all refuse to pay our license fee in protest! :p
Problem with that is, there is clearly a lot of people who want these programmes ;).

@Squidge

I'm not a big TV drama of Sci fi Fan - much prefer books for these - but you are right, the americans spend ridiculous amounts of money on these shows and we get to see the best of american telly.

I tend to watch news, documentaries and comedies. We can produce good comedy which can compete with american stuff - Blackadder, Spaced or the Mighty Boosh for example are that are good because they are so british. TV producers just get lazy because they can buy in american stuff, which is easier that getting their bloody fingers out.

As for news - apparently sky news (prop R Murdoch) is editorially neutral, not like US fox news (prop R Murdoch) which is so rabbidly rightwing and biased it would make Ghengis Khan wince. If he could get away with it here - he would. As for documentaries - watch "March of the Penguins" and see if you hear any mention of the 'E' word or any other comment that might suggest that penguins weren't created on the 5th day.

OK OK I admit it - I have a bee in my bonnet about American Cultural Imperialism and Rupert Murdoch - sorry about that. Now resuming lurk mode.

I got to watch this video in my Sociology class. It was called "Outfoxed - Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism". It details the biast presented by Fox news, among things. I thought it was such a good film that I bought the DVD. However, if you don't fancy that, you can watch it here

Seen 'outfoxed' - it was made just before the 2004 US election. What struck me about it was how they seemed to be stating the bloody obvious to anyone who has watched fox news - then it struck me that I'm comparing with BBC news.

American news is paid for by adverts - big companies. That influences what the american news corps show. For most that means entertaining news to keep up the ratings. For fox is biased hatefilled news which is also entertaining. I used to watch it a lot, especially during the 2004 election, because it was jaw dropping stuff.

Remember the riots in Paris - 'poor immigrant neighbourhoods' according to everyone else - 'muslim terrorists' according to fox.

If you are interested in that sort of stuff http://mediamatters.org/ tries to redress the balance a bit - and I heartily recommend the book 'Lies and the Lying Liars that Tell Them - a Fair and Balanced Look at the Right' by Al Franken

Of course big-companies (their heads) dictate the things that air. The whole situation is despicable, I remember the time when there was a vote against the Iraq war in the senate, and CNN aired bits about Britney Spears shaving her head all day. Mass-media is definitely not to be trusted, the only things they air is either propaganda or paid advertising. On the other hand, it's not like you can fight it, so you might as well enjoy the ride :)

Back