Bearoids

purple_goat

Website
purplegoat25.deviantart.com
BearOids is a game by MrHillBilly.
It's a clone of asteriods, but with teddy bears!
download
:) Pros:
playable
cute
:( Cons:
(among others)
no pause
no high score save
NO ICON!??!12112eleventwentyone!? :blink: purple_goat to the rescue! :lol:
use mine:
BearOids.png
B)

Verdict:
Could be fun, and is a good test, but a full game/mini-game this is not! Maybe add some more features (or scrap it and make a new game) and I'll take another look. :)

-purple_goat

note to author:
please don't be discouraged, it does not have to be terrible, a couple quick fixes (see cons) and it could become something fun.

prairiefire posted on Feb 13 2007 at 07:07 AM said:
your link gets rerouted to one that states the game is not for download.... <_<

Maybe the author has taken it down and is doing the few suggested fixes and will be releasing an updated version? That or he took the review to heart and has purged it from the face of the earth :unsure: Hope not though, the more people getting out there and creating bits of software for the system the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Giving something you got for free a score of 2/10 is something that you just don't do. A helpful reply to the news post with some feedback would have been a lot more helpful...

- Alex

Edit: not to mention a whole lot nicer on your behalf, as well

Alex. posted on Feb 13 2007 at 04:05 PM said:
Giving something you got for free a score of 2/10 is something that you just don't do. A helpful reply to the news post with some feedback would have been a lot more helpful...

- Alex

Edit: not to mention a whole lot nicer on your behalf, as well
of course, excuse me..

EDIT: fixed
EDIT2: fixed download link!

I never found this section B4.

Anyways, BearOids is up to Version 2.1 now. Things that have been changed since version 1.6 are

Cleaned up warpfield, shots from player and UFO now work through the warpfield,
controls are more responsive, fixed the UFO timers, now saves High Scores

Added invulnerability for 2 sec. when you respawn.

I can add a Pause in the next version, it will not be that hard.

I have tried to update the version in the files section but I have not seen it update yet, so for now just grab it at http://hillbillyarcade.tripod.com/gp2xstuff/

MrHillBilly posted on Feb 18 2007 at 07:46 AM said:
I never found this section B4.

Anyways, BearOids is up to Version 2.1 now. Things that have been changed since version 1.6 are

Cleaned up warpfield, shots from player and UFO now work through the warpfield,
controls are more responsive, fixed the UFO timers, now saves High Scores

Added invulnerability for 2 sec. when you respawn.

I can add a Pause in the next version, it will not be that hard.

I have tried to update the version in the files section but I have not seen it update yet, so for now just grab it at http://hillbillyarcade.tripod.com/gp2xstuff/
great! awesome..
did you make that with gamemaker (?, I think thats what it's called) or is that a joke?

[/quote]
great! awesome..
did you make that with gamemaker (?, I think thats what it's called) or is that a joke?
[/quote]

It was made with Game Editor. Right now Game Editor is running at about 25 FPS with most GP2X games. I just wanted to help Mak (creater of Game Editor) out so I thought I would mention what I made it with, and maybe get some more GP2X'ers on his program. I think it has great possibilities. Plus if we get the interest up, I know he will get the speeds up for us also he is curently working on getting the speed up on pocket PCs.

I do not know anything about C programing and I managed to make this game.

I can add a vector version with out too much trouble I am not that good with creating graphics plus I love vector games. I am going to add "girl" bears to the next verion also for change. Maybe a mama bear for a UFO.

MrHillBilly posted on Feb 18 2007 at 01:44 PM said:
great! awesome..

It was made with Game Editor. Right now Game Editor is running at about 25 FPS with most GP2X games. I just wanted to help Mak (creater of Game Editor) out so I thought I would mention what I made it with, and maybe get some more GP2X'ers on his program. I think it has great possibilities. Plus if we get the interest up, I know he will get the speeds up for us also he is curently working on getting the speed up on pocket PCs.

I do not know anything about C programing and I managed to make this game.

I can add a vector version with out too much trouble I am not that good with creating graphics plus I love vector games. I am going to add "girl" bears to the next verion also for change. Maybe a mama bear for a UFO.
cool! myabe I'll make a game (with me buddy)
what do I need to make a working .gpe?

The only prob. with the Game Editor demo is that you can not make GPE's. It will only output to a windows on the PC it was made on. You need to have the full version to export to anything other than your copy of windows. But you can see if it is something that you can use. I think you get 30 days on the trial.

MrHillBilly posted on Feb 18 2007 at 04:05 PM said:
The only prob. with the Game Editor demo is that you can not make GPE's. It will only output to a windows on the PC it was made on. You need to have the full version to export to anything other than your copy of windows. But you can see if it is something that you can use. I think you get 30 days on the trial.
1. can you give me the name (I'm not 100% sure what it is..)
2. I think one of my buddies might have a full copy

purple_goat posted on Feb 18 2007 at 08:25 PM said:
He did give you the name: Game Editor. :p

http://game-editor.com/

Yono posted on Feb 18 2007 at 05:27 PM said:
purple_goat posted on Feb 18 2007 at 08:25 PM said:
He did give you the name: Game Editor. :p

http://game-editor.com/
*calls himself a dip-shit*

thanks

purple_goat posted on Feb 13 2007 at 04:42 AM said:
BearOids is a game by MrHillBilly.
It's a clone of asteriods, but with teddy bears!
download
(or scrap it and make a new game) and I'll take another look. :)

-purple_goat

note to author:
please don't be discouraged, it does not have to be terrible, a couple quick fixes (see cons) and it could become something fun.
Pfft! Wha? ....idk man....ROFL and you gave it a 2/10??.... <_< Also, I think you've been hopping on games way too fast (before any final updates) trying to review them before anyone else can which creates problems like this. Why would you review it calling it a "Full/Mini Game this is not!" I just dont see the point if thats how you feel the game is...but whatever. Whenever I see any type of game come up on the archive I practically shit! I still hope everyone with programing skills keeps making more games for this device...I will soon try out C or C++... :ph34r:

He can be a bit harsh at times, but I think he means well.

Either way just tone it down a bit purple_goat, a little sensitivity can go a long way.

I love Bear Oids! It gave me in inspiration to start porting OidZone to the gp2x using Game Editor. I should have a playable alpha in a week or so.
I have a link to a gpe of my first animation tests in the game editor thread on News.

berighteous said:
I love Bear Oids! It gave me in inspiration to start porting OidZone to the gp2x using Game Editor. I should have a playable alpha in a week or so.
I have a link to a gpe of my first animation tests in the game editor thread on News.
cool looking forward to it

Back