GP2X Benifits Of Linux

mrsnature

I am a bit unsure as to what the benifits of using linux as an operating system are, regarding both developing software and using the system.

As I understand the gp2x will use a linux kernel. What will this mean to the developer? Does this mean that there are lots of extra functions that can be used when programming that are normally linux specific, other than the functions that will be present in the SDK? I guess graphics, sound etc libraries will be in the SDK and more system related functions (fork() etc?) handled by the kernel libraries? I think i'm just confused as to what extra functions will be available due to the linux kernel, that couldn't just be made into the SDK, or am I totally missing the point?

Also, regarding porting/compiling linux apps for the gp2x... I take it this will be easier becuase all the kernel specific functions will already be present, but i assume any higher level (graphics/sound) code will need to be rewritten with the gp2x sdk in mind?

One last thing, by using linux does this mean there are already drivers included for many pieces of hardware that could connect to the gp2x?

Any help would be apreciatted, although noew i think i've confused myself even more :s

sam

GP2X supports Linux and SDL out of the box, this means that a lot of existing software will work without (m)any changes. Linux games don't use the kernel directly. If you use SDL you could use the exact same code for Linux (PC), Windows, and GP2X.

It should be relatively easy to get hardware working as long as open source linux drivers are available.

As for the SDK, I'm not sure what's going to be in that. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Unix and Linux kernels are well understood and have _huge_ followings, which is to say that porting or developing software is that much easier -- existing code will work or port easier, new code will be more 'natural' to write. Porting to 'hostile environments' (like Palm OS) is hell and can multiply the timeframe by orders of magnitude..

jeff

mrsnature posted on Sep 19 2005 at 12:28 PM said:
I am a bit unsure as to what the benifits of using linux as an operating system are, regarding both developing software and using the system.
The main benefit is fast time to market as it is supplied by magiceyes as part of the prototype kit.

And the other stuff ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
@ mrsnature - as I understand it, you are correct. With a linux kernal, the operating system will deal with multiple processes (fork etc) - possibly even the second CPU - and other low level things like messaging, memory handling etc. The SDK would then handle graphics, sound etc and anything of a higher nature.

Back