Best Local Dev Environment

chuckr

Still Fresh
For background of this question, I need to make a couple points: first, I have a couple of disabilities that sometimes prevent me from getting to my 1920x1200 LCD terminal. Secondly, even though I'd really like to get into gameplaying, I always seem to fall back into some kind of development, for amusement. Understanding that I'd really like to run all the programs (editors, compilers, SCMs, whatever) on my servers, I'd like to remote the displays to my Pandora (it's physically easier to use, too often). What kind of X11 setup might be best to get me the liveliest Pandora screen? I haven't any experience in using things like lo-bandwidth X, BUT I use remote displays all the time to do things like run Eclipse, so I know my local ethernet is way more than adequate to give me a great environment (most people, not having done this, won't believe it) ... I just want to know what kind of adaptation I might want to learn about, to get the lower BW of 802.11 to work best with a X11 screen on the Pandora?

I'm hoping that I might get an answer from someone who's actually done this kind of graphics remoting (maybe with some kind of different X11-like protocol?) I've come to learn that common knowledge on this subject is usually incorrect.

chuckr said:
For background of this question, I need to make a couple points: first, I have a couple of disabilities that sometimes prevent me from getting to my 1920x1200 LCD terminal. Secondly, even though I'd really like to get into gameplaying, I always seem to fall back into some kind of development, for amusement. Understanding that I'd really like to run all the programs (editors, compilers, SCMs, whatever) on my servers, I'd like to remote the displays to my Pandora (it's physically easier to use, too often). What kind of X11 setup might be best to get me the liveliest Pandora screen? I haven't any experience in using things like lo-bandwidth X, BUT I use remote displays all the time to do things like run Eclipse, so I know my local ethernet is way more than adequate to give me a great environment (most people, not having done this, won't believe it) ... I just want to know what kind of adaptation I might want to learn about, to get the lower BW of 802.11 to work best with a X11 screen on the Pandora?

I'm hoping that I might get an answer from someone who's actually done this kind of graphics remoting (maybe with some kind of different X11-like protocol?) I've come to learn that common knowledge on this subject is usually incorrect.

X over ssh? I think that's the kind of thing you're asking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miner49er said:
chuckr said:

X over ssh? I think that's the kind of thing you're asking for.

Yes X over ssh works acceptably (not super smooth) for me to connect to my university's computers from home, and that's over ADSL so it could probably work good for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back