Installs Outside Of /usr

chuckr

Still Fresh
My most pandora-fun comes from developing things to run on pandora, which at the moent mostly means porting. This might possibly be unusual, but that doesn't bother me at all. Probably because my background is from the BSDs, I like putting the system into / and /usr, but installing all add-in extras to /usr/local. I wanted to do this via opkg, the opkg docs do give you a method to install using your own dest, but it doesn't work for me at all, so I've been rebuilding everything the hard way, and so my installations to /usr/local are working VERY VERY well.

My current problem, however, is because I'm trying to install a recent version of the bookreader & format converter "Calibre". It has a list of dependencies 3 feet long, and I've gotten far enough down that list to need X11's imake. The few of you who know imake will recall that it only works in the presence of X11's "config" directory (which is full of config files, customized to the particular machine). I can't go further without the config dir used to build pandora's environment, but I can't get it directly out of a opkg file (I don't know how to go about canopenering it) and I can't get opkg to install it where I want. Neither could I get opkg to just install the little bits I want.

So, I can be satisfied here in at least a few different ways:
1) locate for me the config directory I'm after, and either mail it to chuckr@telenix.org, or
2) tell me how to get at the insides of a opkg, or
3) tell me how to get opkg to install where I want (and don't assume, please, that I never saw the -d option or the opkg config file with that ROOT variable, you know, the thing that doesn't work). Telling me those is just going to get me back here.

I hope I posted this in the proper list, but if I didn't, please don['t be bashful about telling me so, I try not to make mistakes twice (assuming I know it the first time).

BTW, when I get Calibre done, my /usr/local might be something some might want. I didn't package all the things I've done, because opkg doesn't work for me to begin with (won't install where I want, I mean). FBReader is nice, but it doesn't import a wide enough array of filetypes. I'm about 3/4 of way down Calibre's dependency list, but I've been bringing in a BIG list of stuff, so no one who's not using booting from flash will be able to make any use of what I've constructed.

In a hurry but..

- be mindful of free space in nand (unless youre booting from sd)
- be mindful of too many writebacks to your homedir if its on nand
- a ipk is an ar archive; you can unpack it easily with ar :)
- you could use (say) ext2fs on sd and symlink /usr/local to there, or use aufs union ovrr sd card so writes go to sd; stuckies done most of the work there so you can boot off nand but union all writes backto sd and go install nuts

Im a bsd guy myself, historically; netbsd and freebsd ftw :)

Jeffphone

Back