Best PS1 games thread

Hang on, no Tomb Raider yet? :blink:

[…]

I hate Tomb Raider, but it's personal taste.

Azure Dreams was pretty fun, I agree with Lupus the Third.

Alundra 2 was a good RPG, sometimes a bit buggy and inaccurate during battles, but the story was really good.

I think it should be noted that Tomb Raider 3 initially shipped with a game-breaking design problem in the first level, which the PlayStation version had to be recalled and replaced over. If you drop into that hole where the first door you need to go through is, you are stuck there if you don't have the key and will have to restart and re-play (if memory serves) about half-an-hour to an hour of the start of the game in order to get going again.

Just a worthwhile thing to point out, I think, for potential Pandorian players of this game. :p

I think it should be noted that Tomb Raider 3 initially shipped with a game-breaking design problem in the first level, which the PlayStation version had to be recalled and replaced over. If you drop into that hole where the first door you need to go through is, you are stuck there if you don't have the key and will have to restart and re-play (if memory serves) about half-an-hour to an hour of the start of the game in order to get going again.

Just a worthwhile thing to point out, I think, for potential Pandorian players of this game. :p

:eek: I wasn't aware of that. It's amazing something like that could be allowed to slip through on such a big release.

I think Sony might've owed me a new controller and TV if I'd discovered it on my own years ago :p

It got a bit of coverage in the magazines at the time. I never forgot it, for some reason. :lol: It certainly shouldn't have made it through play-testing, I think. Obviously, not all copies have it, but I would imagine that not all copies with the problem were returned, either.

Adding one that I forgot before;

The Adventure of Little Ralph - Platformer - A nicely-polished platform game which some Western importers would have you believe is very rare and *VERY* expensive, when it actually, thankfully, is not - you can actually still buy brand new, sealed copies of this game from Japan for a fairly reasonable price. The Adventure of Little Ralph is best described as what would be spat out if you were to put a bunch of excellent platformers into a platformer-loving blender. You play as Ralph, a warrior who’s been transformed into a child by a squadron of demons who have descended on the world, and who has to set things right. The game has a lot of personality, and whilst it doesn't really bring any brand new ideas to the table, what it offers it does well. If you're a platformer fan, you're very likely to spot elements that will remind you, with fondness, of other great games - Ralph’s sword-swinging may remind you of Zero in Mega Man X4, the floating fruits which appear from nowhere will put you in mind of Adventure Island and Wonderboy, and the way you can bowl some enemies over with other enemies is somewhat reminiscent of some of the enemies in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island. Along with all this, it's packed with tons of cute and clever touches and attention-to-detail. It's well worth the price.

This looks really cool. Thanks for the recommendation

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ax3n38JYESE?feature=oembed

The Gex trilogy is a good set of games that haven't been mentioned.

Also, Pac-Man World.

ummm and what about.... Bloody road 2 (for me much better than tekken 3, here, if u are good, u cant lose agains someone pushing bottons)

and bugs bunny lost in the time (for me the unique "crap game" that was great)

Bloody Roar you mean? That's a great game, but my old fav PSX beat em up is THRILL KILL

banned from ever getting a release here in UK it's a twisted game, check it if you get chance to

I am keen to try KURUSHI on the PSX emu on Pandora, great little game that

Grandia - Originally a sega saturn game. This game is great on the playstation, and has gameplay similar to the Lunar Series. The battle system is very good.
Seconding this one. Also props to you for good taste overall. I was expecting not to see grandia at all in this thread as it's fairly obscure and considered a "hidden gem" among the sea of RPGs for the PS1. Surprisingly the very first post has it, so I am very pleased :)

Too bad it was never translated into english for the Sega Saturn (the Saturn version is widely considered better, right?)...and too bad Sega Saturn emulation isn't a realistic prospect for the Pandora

Last edited by a moderator:
Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare

aloneinthedark-thenewnightmare-psx-review1.jpg

A spooky, great looking game and runs great on the pandora.

I love these threads. Consoles died for me around the N64 and PS1, I was into computers then and the graphics were way better there. I still played a few though:

Tome Raider: I played this so much that the first weekend I got it I went back to school and two funny things: I was worried about bumping into walls walking down the hallways and saw girls in a different light: Ohh, non blocky boobs!

Crash Bandicoot: I think the best part about this game is the sound effects and music, I never see that mentioned very often. My fav levels in this game were the side scrolling ones, they were beautiful!

Lunar Complete 1&2: I remember these being really funny, I laughed a lot during them, and the graphics aren't bad either. I've played the recently however and can't stand the voice overs, I wish it was all text.

Resident Evil 2: Holy crap I loved this game, have not liked any of the other RS games at all, but this one we beat a few times, my brother and I. I don't remember it being that scary but I loved the game play and collecting items and then combining them.

Wild Arms: I've been saving this one till last, my absolute fav PS1 game and on my top 5 fav RPGs. I really hope it isn't like Lunar, when I replay it I'll discover something that really bugs me it will drop it way down the list. Anyway, I hate Westerns but this game put the right amount of other Fantasy RPG elements to make it not totally ridiculous.

That is it for me, I've played a few others but this is all that sticks out for me. I liked other games, like Swag Man, but these were the best. I've since bought a few games here and there cheap that I've always wanted to play. That is the good thing about PS1 games, they're abundant at game conventions and usually extremely cheap, even the costly ones are under $30, but most are like under $5. So, when I get my Pandora most of the games I'll play for a good while will be PS1 games.

Much of what i would recommend has already been mentioned, however i must give a shout out to Alien Resurrection a pretty much ignored and highly atmospheric FPS (quite a challenge too, later on) that i still fire up from time to time, well worth a playthrough (not sure it would control well on the Pandora though)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VTL1w7JdKv8?feature=oembed

EDIT:

Oops already commented..

And hot on the heels of Alien Resurrection, I must recommend another, completely different, game from the same developer;

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos - Platformer - An actual platformer in three dimensions (as opposed to dull scavenger-hunting and spatial-trudging that other "3D platformers" tend to actually be), Croc: Legend of the Gobbos places you as Croc, a little crocodile wearing a backpack, as he seeks to rescue his peace-loving adoptive family, the Gobbos (a bunch of "gerbilesque" high-voiced cute little furry creatures), from the clutches of the evil, Gobbo-hating magician, Baron Dante and his Dantini henchmen. Croc travels across four islands (or is it five? :p ), seeking out six of his Gobbo friends per stage, along coloured crystals which will let him into a locked room at the end of each level which contains the sixth Gobbo. Along the way you'll fight a bunch of bosses that Baron Dante conjures up in various ways, and at the end of it all, you get to face off against Dante himself. There's plenty of variety and lots of things to see and do, along with a heaping helping of atmosphere here - I highly recommend trying this one out with a pair of good headphones, as it sounds fantastic.

And hot on the heels of Alien Resurrection, I must recommend another, completely different, game from the same developer;

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos - Platformer - An actual platformer in three dimensions (as opposed to dull scavenger-hunting and spatial-trudging that other "3D platformers" tend to actually be), Croc: Legend of the Gobbos places you as Croc, a little crocodile wearing a backpack, as he seeks to rescue his peace-loving adoptive family, the Gobbos (a bunch of "gerbilesque" high-voiced cute little furry creatures), from the clutches of the evil, Gobbo-hating magician, Baron Dante and his Dantini henchmen. Croc travels across four islands (or is it five? :p ), seeking out six of his Gobbo friends per stage, along coloured crystals which will let him into a locked room at the end of each level which contains the sixth Gobbo. Along the way you'll fight a bunch of bosses that Baron Dante conjures up in various ways, and at the end of it all, you get to face off against Dante himself. There's plenty of variety and lots of things to see and do, along with a heaping helping of atmosphere here - I highly recommend trying this one out with a pair of good headphones, as it sounds fantastic.

This one should have been on page 1, the first mentioned.

This game _rocked_ and still does. I gotta dig out my disk backup, I believe the original is probably scratched to shit.

I've actually beaten it, damn, some of that was hard.

+1 for Spyro, Crash Bandicoot (1+2+all of them(I know, this is the PS1 thread), except the newer ones, twinsanity+crash of the titans+etc - they sucked)(<3<3<3<3<3!!!1!11bang1!!one) and Gran Turismo (1+2 (3 on PS2)). Silent Hill, too, but I remember it used to creep the fuck out of me :D .

Point Blank
!!! This game really rocked! (The name got taken by another game - I mean THIS ONE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Blank_%281994_video_game%29)

Need For Speed? High Stakes (No. 4) was the best racing game EVER for me. IIRC this was demo'd on Pandora, or was that a lovely dream? edit: No, it wasn't, Hot Pursuit (3) was. By EvilDragon. He sucked at it :D . No offence, all in good humour :D .

Die Hard Trilogy
. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Hard_Trilogy . It rocked. Loved doing crazy shit in the taxi.

One other game (lol bold) I used to play, can't remember what it was called, or anything else about it! It was in my mind for a split second.

Currently on my "To be played on Pandora" list (minor offtopic, but will inspire some people, so:)

Code:
Non-PS:

the Pokemon games, GB, GBA(I self dumped GB+GBA - commercial cart reader), N64 (IIRC I dumped these too - uncertain. I have the carts.) - hold on, is mentioning dumping your own against the rules? Clean if so.

Super Mario 64

South Park (N64)

SMB 1+2+3 via Super Mario All Stars (SNES). Don't have a ROM dump, might build my own dumper (!).

All the other Mario games which I own (SMWorld, SMAdvance,others I dig up)

The Great Giana Sisters (C64) (I have an XE1541 cable)

Impossible Mission (C64)

Commando (C64)

Cybertracker (C64) - not a game, but I'm still gonna run it.

Think Twice III (C64) - again, not a game

Edge of Disgrace (C64) - not a game.

Quake 1+2+3 (PC) (lol, I almost mentioned unreal tournament. Not gonna happen.)

Lemmings (or possibly some clone, I only have a non-working C64 version + Windows version)

Random homebrews, present and future.

Top Secret self developments.

Anything I think of.

PS:

Gran Turismo, 1 and 2

V-Rally (hated this game. But i'm still going to play it.)

Need for Speed, 1+2+3(Hot Pursuit)+4(High Stakes) (forgot names of 1 + 2)

Croc!

Point Blank but I guess it won't work (well) without a lightgun. Maybe some awesome PS1 emu dev has hacked a touchscreen-lightgun interface? Hint hint.

Silent Hill

Die Hard Trilogy

GTA 1+2

Crash Bandicoot 1+2+Bash

I love the PS1 as it was the system I grew up with;

A list of random games I enjoyed as a kid follows:

The Simpsons Wrestling. It may seem stupid that I enjoyed this game so much, It was just great fun for multiplayer.

Tomb Raider 2. I remember playing the first few levels of this game over and over again, as I got stuck soon after and started the game again. (Shutup I was 9 :p )

The spyro series was definately my favourite games of the time, and Spyro 2 was the first game I ever completed.

V-rally was an excellent racer of the time, really good fun.

The Crash Bandicoot series was another one of my favourites, very fun, but got quite frustrating trying to get through the bonus levels.

And don't let me forget Oddworld: Abes oddysee a very fun platformer with quirky humour, and actually I think I may go play this now...

great games so far! im loving it! but i just thought i would let you know about a crazy lil game i found in a game store a lil while back, called BREAKOUT. awesome arkanoid, breakout, brickbreaker game with a twist! awesome story and characters, and you get to change which paddle you wanna use, i dont wanna ruin it for you all but ill add a cool vid of it.

the first level you have to break out of jail :D woooo

https://www.youtube.com/embed/c5EM1PD2mZY?feature=oembed

Oddworld: Abes oddysee
OMG YES

I remember playing this on a bonus disk, then buying it asap.

BTW, I just _had_ to get a PSX emulator working on my computer(Xubuntu 10.10 x86_64, what a mess) and play some Croc, after seeing this thread. Now I remember just why I loved this game so much. And I took Prometheus' example and listened to the audio with some good headphones. Wow, it really is nice!

I remember always liking the music in Croc, even when I was not so much into music at all!

Now I'm having a slight Pandora-anxiousness. All the games I'd play, all the code I'd write, all the bugs I'd yell at, all the proprietary drivers I'd disassemble...man I have some really messed up dreams you know.

BTW, I just _had_ to get a PSX emulator working on my computer(Xubuntu 10.10 x86_64, what a mess) and play some Croc, after seeing this thread. Now I remember just why I loved this game so much. And I took Prometheus' example and listened to the audio with some good headphones. Wow, it really is nice!

I remember always liking the music in Croc, even when I was not so much into music at all!
Back when I was 15, I actually bought a small surround-sound setup just because of that one game. It sounds great on one of those, too.

By the by, I finished the game on my Pandora earlier - you might want to save it for there, as it plays perfectly on PCSX ReARMed. :p

Hi

Can I ask how i get all my PS1 games into Bin/Cue format.

I have a big box PS1 games and would like to start gettiing them ready for my Pandora when it arrives.

I use a Mac computer and would like something with a GUI.

Please PM me if it is not allowed to post how to do this.

Thanks.

Back