Best Nintendo Game Boy Games

old topic! but worth it...

Legend of Zelda: Links awakening
is a classic. although the DX version looks nicer and has a couple cool updates.

Legend of zelda: Oracle of Ages( and Seasons)
which in my opnion are, not only the best Zelda gsmes ever but, The most time consuming. And also most interesting because they can be played in conjunction and in either order.

Rampage was good

Hyper Lode Runner good puzzle game

i actually own all of these and were main contributors to my low GPA B)

Following your recommendations, I've bough Zelda DX and Wario Land 2 (hybrid color version) & 3.

Really good games, I was a bit surprised as you can't die in Wario 3, it's more a "puzzle platformer" than a classic platformer.

I've found a cheap Gremlins 2 : the new batch, but since I'll be away from home for two weeks, it'll have to wait. (I hope no one will buy it before me)

And… I've lost my Kirby's dreamland cartridge (probably when I moved to my flat)
sad.gif

Anyway, I finally got the GameCube GameBoy Player.

Nice little add-on that can run GB, GBC and GBA games on a big screen with a relatively small border around the game (games aren't full screen).

And… I've lost my Kirby's dreamland cartridge (probably when I moved to my flat)
sad.gif

Anyway, I finally got the GameCube GameBoy Player.

Nice little add-on that can run GB, GBC and GBA games on a big screen with a relatively small border around the game (games aren't full screen).

Kirby's Dream Land was one of the best games ever. I think it might've been the first video game I ever actually beat. It had some awesomely fun secret areas (that weren't too difficult to find, if you were watching out for them - in the 3rd and 4th levels, I think?), and that last fight with King Deedeedee was just a killer. Now I have to go find my copy of it!

The original Game Boy was my most loved system and I owned *loads* more games than this, but this list stands out for me:

Adventure Island 1 & 2

Alien 3

Short, but very atmospheric. Something about this game always made me proud to have it as

part of my collection

Batman

As classic as Super Mario Land 1 as far as I'm concerned. I loved the GB feel &

miniaturization in both those games.

Catrap

Really cute puzzle game. And when you've realized you're screwed, you can reverse time and

try again.

Contra - The Alien Wars

Dragon Slayer

I may be the only person who loved this game. I used to spend hours on end trapping the

monsters at their spawning points - I would push around blocks to create walls of stone. The

land is mine! Muha ha ha! Oh no! the Dragon killed me!

Maybe I should actually build up my xp fighting monsters next time. o.o

Final Fantasy Legend III

Another game I played obsessively, even though the cart's internal battery was flat (I was

too young and un-geeky to figure this out) - it was impossible to save and turn the GB off.

So I would have to play with my Game Boy plugged in... for days. And then the power would

cut, or the maid would bump it when I was at school.

I would cry.

I would start again.

Gargoyle's Quest

Brilliant. A true classic.

Kirby's Dream Land 1 & 2

Who doesn't love Kirby? =)

Kirby's Pinball Land

Utterly addictive

LoZ - Link's Awakening

Probably my favorite game of all time. Also the first Zelda game I played. I loved this game

so much I recreated all the game's graphics in mspaint. Pixel by pixel. (I wanted to make my

own sequel one day) And yes, this game made me cry too. o.o

Mario's Picross

Another obsessive compulsive game

Metroid 2 - Return of Samus

Micky Mouse

You might not like it, but I really got into it. Was super chuffed when I clocked it.

Ninja Gaiden Shadow

Pokémon Pinball

What can I say? I love pinball, and this is nicely executed. And you get to catch Pokémon at

the same time! =D

Pokémon Yellow

Yes, I was addicted to this too. Pika Pika! =3

Pyramids of Ra

A brilliant *action* puzzle game that requires fast reflexes and the ability to change gear

in a millisecond. One of the two games my mother gave me when I got my Game Boy. (The other

one was Home Alone - but it sucks. Really) To me this game is class. You have to try it. The

first stages are easy, but as more and more varied tiles are added to the mix you will find

your Adrenalin starting to pump! I've never finished this game (gets too hard and

stressfull - and there seems to be hundreds of levels), but I fully intend to master it once

I get my Pandora. Catchy tunes too. =)

R-Type

Rubble Saver 2

Super Hunchback

I eventually clocked this game, but it was hard I tell you - you really have to time your

jumps perfectly.

Super Mario Land 1 & 2

Tennis

Tiny Toon Adventures (Bab's Big Break)

Maybe because I was obsessed with Tiny Toons at the time (and had a crush on Fifi La Fume).

o.o

Ultima - Runes of Virtue

Another game I was proud to own, even though the graphics aren't fantastic. It's

atmospheric, and I really liked Sherry the little mouse.

Wario Land

The only Wario game I've actually played. I regard this as a must have GB title and better

than SML 1 & 2. IMO

I'm also aware of many more 'must have' titles - but sadly, I never got my hands on them.

I plan to rectify that soon. =)

This might be the place for a quick question: I checked out Racketboys list for "Best undiscovered Gems on GB" and got some recommendations from there, in particular "Shantae" and "Wendy: Every witch way" which are, indeed, excellent as far as I can gather. However, when I play them on the Pandora under GnuBoy, I get slowdowns...??? It could, of course, reflect the original hardware, but I don't think so - In particular Shantae got too slow in places to really have gotten past QC. So - GnuBoy can't handle it. That feels weird. Is there a clock setting somewhere which underclocks the Pandora (might be reasonable) that could be raised a bit? Or is it a very quick port (i.e. unoptimized++)? Or is there something else that I missed? :blink: :unsure: :unsure:

Which Tetris had the original soundtrack? Tetris DX?

Btw people, check this out! Found this on wikipedia while searching

According to research from Dr. Richard Haier, et al. prolonged Tetris activity can also lead to more efficient brain activity during play. When first playing Tetris, brain function and activity increases, along with greater cerebral energy consumption, measured by glucose metabolic rate. As Tetris players become more proficient, their brains show a reduced consumption of glucose, indicating more efficient brain activity for this task. Even moderate playing of tetris (half-an-hour a day for three months) boosts general cognitive functions such as "critical thinking, reasoning, language and processing" and increases cerebral cortex thickness.

In January 2009, an Oxford University research group headed by Dr. Emily Holmes reported in PLoS ONE that for healthy volunteers, playing ‘Tetris’ soon after viewing traumatic material in the laboratory reduced the number of flashbacks to those scenes in the following week. They believe that the computer game may disrupt the memories that are retained of the sights and sounds witnessed at the time, and which are later re-experienced through involuntary, distressing flashbacks of that moment. The group hopes to develop this approach further as a potential intervention to reduce the flashbacks experienced in posttraumatic stress disorder, but emphasized that these are only preliminary results.

The game can also cause a repetitive stress syndrome[citation needed] in that the brain will involuntarily picture tetris combinations even when the player is not playing the game (the Tetris effect), although this can occur with any computer game or situation showcasing repeated images or scenarios, such as a jigsaw puzzle.

Back