Best NES Games

Gyromite

Will the R.O.B be compatible with Pandora? :)

Dude, this is a best of list, not worst of. :p j/k. I had to say it.

Rob, for what? All 2 games? :lol: Everybody wanted that damn thing when I was a kid, but most everybody missed the boat. I was glad I never got one when I realized later, how much it sucked. The gimmick certainly worked tho. Sorry I couldnt resist the chance to rag on gyromite/rob. I really did want one, really bad back in the day.

Destiny of an Emperor- a really good rpg game during the course of the game you get many many different generals instead of characters and they all have their own amount of soldiers to go out and battle and you can persuade enemy generals to fight for your cause for a price

Legendary Wings - If you love top down shooters then you will like this one this game has plenty of power ups and levels to enjoy for many hours

One of my favs also. The reason it goes for $150 is it was at the very end of the NES's life cycle here in the US, it was released after the SNES was out I think so not many bought it. It was one of the last NES games that our local video rental bought and me and my little brother didn't have a SNES yet and about wore the cart out with renting it over and over again. The sad thing is I remember going to ToysRus and seeing boxes and boxes of it in a bin marked at $5 each and still didn't pick up a copy. I now wish I would have bought every single one.

Anyway, yeah, it was a masterpiece.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adventure Island 2 & 3

They are amazing, underrated sidescrolling games (well that's what my nostalgia goggles say)

I love all 3 of the NES Adventure Island games. Hudson never really "got" how to translate the game to the SNES (tried twice) but the NES editions are great!

There's so many good games on the nes i dug mine out about 6 months ago and blew the S@#T out of my cartridges

anyways these are the ones i am still playing

obvious choices are

1940 Shooters

all the mario games

zelda

Kirby

megaman series

contra

castlevania series

others

adventures of lolo 1, 2 & 3

Uforia if you haven't heard of it it was a Pal only release and is amazing

Little samson saw this below but is that good i will add it again

rc pro am

punch out

ninja Gaiden series

bionic commando is awesome once you get the hang of it

toki

batman

power blade

[…]

Kirby's Adventure - Platformer - Released in 1993, this is the second game in the Kirby series (Kirby debuted in 1992 on the Game Boy, in Kirby's Dream Land), and the one which introduced Kirby's ability to copy the powers of the enemies he inhales during the game's stages. This is quite a lengthy game, full of cute little touches, and it's got a little bit more challenge to it than Kirby's Dream Land had.

Finally got my hands on a cheap cartridge (less than 8€ port included) of this game, and it's a f***ing good game.

It really shows that it was one of, if not the last game made for NES!

The animations of the characters are impressive for an 8bits console.

This game is the number one of my "late best buy" on the NES.
biggrin.gif

All my other games have already been mentioned too, so I'll go back playing Kirby.

Final Fantasy 3 - This is another japanese import (or patched rom) that is a must play. The game was actually the first to introduce a dynamic combat job system to the series. Your little "onion kids" (....really, square?) Are essentially squires, but can change to different jobs that level up in different ways and use different weapons and styles. You start out at the beginning with 4 characters that are essentially identical, and the game is very heavily combat-based if you're into that sort of thing. The plot...... Well, I didn't pay attention to it. At some point though, you do shrink down to mini-size and go to a town full of what are essentially microscopic people. The game also allows you to dual-wield pretty much anything, including shields! BEWARE MY DUAL SHIELDS! The game was recently re-released and re-imagined on the nintendo DS, but this one just has more nostalgia and I honestly think the music sounds better in it's NES chiptune form.

My first Final Fantasy... Took me 3 years to beat :lol:

I have fond memories of booting up LJP on my Palm...

But definitely, the entire FF series on the NES is worth it.

(aside from MegaMan, Castlevania, Zelda, Metroid and such):

Solar Jetman: Hunt for the Golden Warpship - this might still be my all-time favorite NES title. Heavily influenced by Gravitar. Very difficult...

Spelunker - port of an Apple ][e cave-exploration-and-treasure-finding game

Shadow of the Ninja

Adventures of Lolo series

Balloon Fight

Ice Climber

Clu Clu Land (simple NES launch title that has quite a bit of replayability)

Gradius

River City Ransom

Seconding this one!

The NES version of Spelunker is brilliant - I actually think it's better than the Apple II/C64 original! And that in-game tune is oh-so-catchy. :lol: Apparently it has a bit of a cult-following in Japan due to its difficulty level, too.

Seconding this one!

The NES version of Spelunker is brilliant - I actually think it's better than the Apple II/C64 original! And that in-game tune is oh-so-catchy. :lol: Apparently it has a bit of a cult-following in Japan due to its difficulty level, too.

it also seems to be the inspiration behind the fantastic Spelunky

(and there's a Spelunker HD for PS3)

Unfortunately there aren't any perfect NES emulators out for Pandora yet (which is unbelievable). I hope this is worked on. I'm no programmer myself, but I'll gladly donate to make it happen.

On bus, just a quick list:

Super Dodge Ball

Thrilla's Surfari (T&C 2)

Ducktales (1 and 2)

Legendary Wings (arcade port)

Life Force (Salamander port)

Little Nemo the Dream Master

Solomon's Key (arcade port)

Marble Madness (arcade port)

Rescue: The Embassy Mission

The immortal

Solstice

3-D World Runner

Little Samson looks awesome. I'll have to check that out.

Anyway, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Dragon Spirit: The New Legend. As far as I can tell, it's the sequel to the TG-16 version, and has tighter controls. Used to play it all the time when I was a kid.

I also like Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde (I'm really good at that game)

You mean this game?
smile.gif
com64: you are my god! That game is impossible. the controls are crazy!

I must have bad taste because many of my top list has not been mentioned but a few times. I agree with just about all the suggestions so far(save Dr Jeckyll), Here is my partial list, I restate a few and I know I miss a number, but here goes, The ones I have burned many hours on get an *.

Best games:

*Adventures of Lolo Series(rack your brain on near countless puzzles to save your round pink little princess)

*Bubble Bobble(anyone who doesn't respect this game shouldn't talk to me anymore, and truthfully should just be put out of their misery)

*River City Ransom(rpg? fighter. well before it's time. It is sad they never ported the snes version)

*Gargoyle's Quest 2(my vote for coolest graphics, and one of the best for playability)

*Ninja Gaiden Series

*Punch Out

Power Blade

*TMNT (first one. Hard as heck but a rather great game)

*Faxandu

*R.C. Pro AM 2 (one was good, I thought 2 was far better)

Mega Man series (everyone has a favorite, I prefer 3 but I think 2 seems to be the leader)

*Metal Storm

*Marble Madness

life force

*Kirby

Adventure Island series

*Ghost and goblins

*Gauntlet 1 and 2

*Dragon warrior series

*Most of the Donkey Kong series(I never played donkey kong math...)

*Contra series

Crystilis

*Castlevania series(second is my favorite as long as I have an emulator with a save state feature)

*Ducktales(perhaps a bit to easy but otherwise spot on.

Little Nemo

*Batman(same boat a TMNT, first one, really hard, rather good)

"Good" games:

*Toobin'

*Fester's Quest

*Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers

*Toki

*Rygar

Shatterhand

*POW (maybe better then good)

*Ninja Crusaders(ok maybe worse then good, but I like it)

Journey to Silus

Milon's secret castle(some people love it)

*Galaxy 5000(again, maybe not quite good, but I liked it, the controls are a challenge)

*Dragon Power(terrible graphics but when I was a kid I was obsessed with it)

Bump 'n Jump

Burger Time

*Goonies 2(another one of my favorites, may not pass others standards)

I know I missed a few. But these are the best that come to mind for me.

And I am ashamed to admit I have never played Little Samson. But I plan to fix that now.

I'll add Bionic Commando to the above list - I haven't played any NES games in years, so I don't know how objectively good it is, but I liked it then.
tongue.gif
Huh, I'm sorry this don't belong here. It needs a thread all to itself as best game ever.

Dragon Warrior 4...still one of my all-time favorite nes games.

I'll add Bionic Commando to the above list - I haven't played any NES games in years, so I don't know how objectively good it is, but I liked it then.
tongue.gif
Huh, I'm sorry this don't belong here. It needs a thread all to itself as best game ever.
Bionic Commando was better on the gameboy than the nes version.

I would say Mega Man 1-4 , Metroid, Mario Bros. 1-3, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Legend of Zelda,Zelda 2 Adventure of Link and Ultimate Stuntman!

Back