Best Usb-gamepad Under Linux

For 3D games, the 360 is one of the best controllers I've ever used, bar none. It's very ergonomic and everything is fairly responsive. I know some people don't like where the left analog stick is placed, but since most games for the 360 use it, it makes sense to have it in a more prominent position than the d-pad. The d-pad is my only real complaint with either XBox controller, 360 or original, and it's why I need a completely different controller for classic emulation.

For the oldies, I really like the Elecom retro controllers I bought from J-List/JBox/whatever. They work great for retrogaming and I personally recommend them, as it's tough to find a good digital-only pad these days. Downsides are the location of the USB cable, which is slightly awkward but not a big deal, and the shoulder buttons, which have obviously been compromised to preserve the retro look of the controller. They are still usable, though.

Vimacs said:
you need a patch to use the sixaxis over bluetooth in linux as it authenticates using usb instead of bluetooth, check http://www.pabr.org/sixlinux/sixlinux.en.html

FYI, the latest bluez has support for sixaxis builtin. You still need to pair it via the custom util, but no patches are needed so long as you've got a newer version of bluez.

If you want the motion sensor accessible, one patch you *do* still need is the "inertial sensors" hidraw patch lower in the page.

I really hope the Pandora devs get the new bluez (been out for a while, but still not in some distros like Debian) and apply the hidraw patch (very small, mindnumbling easy) - I want sixaxis to work out of the box!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'll be using nothing less than the original Xbox "Duke" controller. :p Need to wire up an adapter first, though.

I have a lot of options here though, provided I use adapters. It will take some experiments to see which controllers work best. :unsure:

mechanizeddeath said:
I think I'll be using nothing less than the original Xbox "Duke" controller. :p
Hell yea! ;) A fellow Duke supporter.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Back