Multiple Gamepad Solution

chickendung

TO THE TRENTON TAR PITS!
Website
i currently do not have a website.com
I have been using this method for my laptop for the past few months, and I figured it could easily be applied for use with the Pandora, so here goes:

I have in my possession an adapter that allows Sega Genesis and Atari controllers to be used with a PC via USB. I will be focusing on the Genesis feature, as the adapter also supports a variety of Genesis Multi-Taps!

First, the controllers are plugged into the multi-tap itself. The adapter supports any combination of 6-button and 3-button controllers:

Then, after switching the multi-tap to the MULTI position, the cord of the multi-tap is plugged into the adapter:

Finally, any USB cable is plugged into the other end of the adapter, and it is therefore capable of being connected to the Pandora:

Now, my question is, will the Pandora be able to utilize this adapter and multi-tap without any development of a driver? The information about the adapter mentions that Linux sees a multi-tap with the adapter as a controller with 8 Axes and 32 buttons, so I would assume there wouldn't be any issues seeing as the Pandora is a Linux-based device.

If you want any information on getting an adapter, just ask me to post the info.

Thanks.

Is it this adapter, by any chance? If so, it doesn't require any drivers - it's clearly stated by its maker to be a USB HID thing. ;)

Either way, even if it's not that one, you are correct - if it works that way on any Linux distribution, then it should be fine on the Pandora, too.

Prometheus said:
Is it this adapter, by any chance? If so, it doesn't require any drivers - it's clearly stated by its maker to be a USB HID thing. ;)

Either way, even if it's not that one, you are correct - if it works that way on any Linux distribution, then it should be fine on the Pandora, too.
Yaya, it is indeed that adapter. Didn't want to seem like I was working for the guy. ;)

Anyway, glad to hear it should work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Except I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that it's not a USB High Speed device. An adapter or HUB will likely be required.

There is also one here:
http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=54777167fe242766d45c404698ca7161
That would require one less part as it has the cable included.
Of course, this sucker isn't USB 2 either (hardly anything is really)

I love those RetroUSB kits. So far I've converted a SNES pad, and also made a Megadrive adapter (so I can plug in the regular pad, or arcade stick). I'm currently obsessed with Arkanoid, which needs a paddle controller, so I'll be getting one of their Atari kits next.

Gruso said:
I love those RetroUSB kits. So far I've converted a SNES pad, and also made a Megadrive adapter (so I can plug in the regular pad, or arcade stick). I'm currently obsessed with Arkanoid, which needs a paddle controller, so I'll be getting one of their Atari kits next.
They are pretty sweet. I only have the NES one, but I can't do emulators without it anymore! I wish they would make the reverse kits so I can use various controllers on my old systems. Especially the Intellivision, the intellivision controllers just don't last.

crade said:
There is also one here:
http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=54777167fe242766d45c404698ca7161
Unfortunately those kits don't support multi-taps, at least not the Genesis one.

So, about the USB, I would need another adapter to make it work with the 1.1/2.0 port? Why isn't the standard USB port backwards compatible with 1.1?

Because to save space and power they didn't include it in the host. If your cable ends in an OTG plug (Mini-B to the layman, I believe) the OTG port does have 1.1 support.

If you attach a USB Hub, it has all the necessary 1.1 chips and stuff on the inside, so you get 1.1 support again.

So, the easiest way would be buying or soldering an OTG cable, which will not fit into an MP3 player, but will fit into the TI calculators that have USB support (they use OTG as well) so if you have a calc to calc usb cable, that is actually an adapter to mini-a

Hope this helps!

chickendung said:
Why isn't the standard USB port backwards compatible with 1.1?
Because despite what everything seems to suggest, USB2 is not actually backwards compatible with USB1. Most devices are backwards compatible by virtue of a built in converter chip. This chip was omitted for various reasons in the Pandora design.

chickendung said:
crade said:
There is also one here:
Unfortunately those kits don't support multi-taps, at least not the Genesis one.
Oh really? That kinda sucks. Do you mean it won't work or isn't "officially supported"?
I just assumed that the multitap would work similarly to the genesis controller.

WizardStan said:
This chip was omitted for various reasons in the Pandora design.
When I discovered this it really shook my faith ;). I don't have, and have never owned or even ever used a official "USB 2.0" device that I recall.
But then I was enlightened: hey whatever, it's not my design hehe

crade said:
When I discovered this it really shook my faith ;) . I don't have, and have never owned or even ever used a official "USB 2.0" device that I recall.
External hard drives, or thumb drives, mostly. A lot of them will also fall back on USB1.1 if they can't get a USB2.0 connection, but that's something built into them, not something that's part of the spec. Most ethernet and a lot of 3G modems as well, I think, are USB2.0.

WizardStan said:
crade said:
When I discovered this it really shook my faith ;) . I don't have, and have never owned or even ever used a official "USB 2.0" device that I recall.
External hard drives, or thumb drives, mostly. A lot of them will also fall back on USB1.1 if they can't get a USB2.0 connection, but that's something built into them, not something that's part of the spec. Most ethernet and a lot of 3G modems as well, I think, are USB2.0.
I wasn't trying to say there aren't any USB 2.0 devices.. I just don't have any. I checked all my USB stuff when I found out it was USB 2 only to see if there was anything I could use :)

^Crade: It was always stated that Pandora port is USB 2.0 HIGH SPEED only. So even if You have some USB 2.0 thing that is capable only full speed, it will not work. BUT there is solution trough USB 2.0 HUB which support 1.1/2.0 full/high speed conversion (all with USB hignh speed official logo) and trough USB OTG port which is compatible, but use mini AB connector, so need some wiring or buying cheap adapter. There even exists solution with special USB cable that has USB HUB implemented in connector and using it for its extended length - just to shorten it.

peca said:
^Crade: It was always stated that Pandora port is USB 2.0 HIGH SPEED only. So even if You have some USB 2.0 thing that is capable only full speed, it will not work. BUT there is solution trough USB 2.0 HUB which support 1.1/2.0 full/high speed conversion (all with USB hignh speed official logo) and trough USB OTG port which is compatible, but use mini AB connector, so need some wiring or buying cheap adapter. There even exists solution with special USB cable that has USB HUB implemented in connector and using it for its extended length - just to shorten it.
As you point out, it is my own fault for not doing enough research beforehand, I was unlearned and not in the habit of checking the details on USB ports when looking at potential devices. It wouldn't have mattered anyway since the pandora is great and is still more that worth the price.. I was just dissapointed when I discovered it has two USB ports, and I still couldn't use most USB devices I would encounter in my travels unless I carry an adapter around with me all the time.

Crade: Don't get me bad :) I mean it as "this is not hidden bug or feature". I know that if somebody doesn't closely follow project from early age, then he can miss some informations. Really good page for getting into is http://pandorawiki.org/FAQ (You probably spot it already). So don't take it as I'm attacking You, but as some note about situation.

I think that this "USB issue" is not big trouble IMHO. I intend to use Pandora mostly as pocket computer. For house use I cane prepare some USB hub mounted to PC monitor or to desk (secretary). So at home I can use external keyboard, mouse, monitor (over USB or over TV out and TV to VGA converter) and so. Nowadays USB HDDs and Flashes use HighSpeed anyway so this is no issue. And even if I need keyboard and mouse while travelling, I probably use Blue-Tooth (actually I have BT mouse already).

crade said:
chickendung said:
crade said:
There is also one here:
Oh really? That kinda sucks. Do you mean it won't work or isn't "officially supported"?
I just assumed that the multitap would work similarly to the genesis controller.
When I was first looking for Genesis adapters, I emailed the guy in charge of those kits. He said multi-taps do not work.

Back