S-Video/RCA to VGA

Yes, but S-Video is not limited to pal or ntsc it is limited to xga. If you have a computer with an SVideo port and an hdtv u can test this.

Can that be fixed?
I have no idea. If the S-Video out standard supports it, and there are no hardware limitations then I guess yes. However, you would need to check with Notaz to be sure. You would also need to find someone willing to update the driver, I don't think it is fair to pile all that work onto Notaz's shoulders.

I think I have found what you want! Try this:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item336e9a9bee

I am about to order a couple... very useful and a great price. I'll let you know how well it works!

Of course this will still be at PAL/NTSC resolution, just upscaled... but it is still useful. I'm also going to be using it to use my megadrive on a PC monitor.

EDIT: There are lots of similar coverters available. Some are cheaper from US, e.g.:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Composite-S-video-AV-VGA-Wide-Screen-LCD-Adapter-/260874503803?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbd55067b#ht_1777wt_1189

Beware, some are VGA to svideo/composite... make sure you get one that converts the right way!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I have found what you want! Try this:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item336e9a9bee

I am about to order a couple... very useful and a great price. I'll let you know how well it works!

Of course this will still be at PAL/NTSC resolution, just upscaled... but it is still useful. I'm also going to be using it to use my megadrive on a PC monitor.

EDIT: There are lots of similar coverters available. Some are cheaper from US, e.g.:

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_1777wt_1189

Beware, some are VGA to svideo/composite... make sure you get one that converts the right way!
I've bought one of these types - but the output resolution & frequency is not compatible with the SHOWWX which is the reason I bought it!

Yes, but S-Video is not limited to pal or ntsc it is limited to xga. If you have a computer with an SVideo port and an hdtv u can test this.

The output settings of graphics cards will typically allow you to set a desktop resolution of Xga as a maximium when using TV-out (S-Video or Composite) not because it actually outputs that resolution over the TV-Out (which is a fixed res), but because it's not going to be able to deliver a decent, fluid, scaled image over the standard TV output beyond that. XGA is pretty much the limit it can run at 50/60hz and convert to TV out without weird problems, it deploys a few tricks to squeeze that res into classic analogue TV output, discarding a lot of detail.

If you have a HDTV, compare 'XGA' over S-Video to true XGA (and far beyond with higher refresh rates) over the HDMI or VGA input it probably has too.

I'm no expert on video formats, but as a former Video Jockey i have some experience on svideo/composite to vga converters.

If going for a cheap one, buy from a physical store, if possible, and test with the pandora on site. But stores selling this kind of equipment are pretty hard to locate (at least in my area)

The most important issue to look out for is that with the digital -> analog -> back to digital conversion, small letters/numbers, already slightly fuzzy on the normal tv out, CAN get even harder to read when using a converter. But might also be ok. Also colors can get a bit "flat" (not sure how to say it in english, but think this is understandable). Only way to know is to try really, i worked with a number of cheap ones and quality varies a lot.

The more expensive ones usually have so many tweaking options that you can set them exactly to your preferences, and compensate for weirdly aligned screen or colors.

But if you want to play games or watch a video on a vga device, this is the only way to go. USB -> VGA is not nearly fast enough for anything quicker than turn based games (as far as i know).

Arrived in the post this morning. Even though it says it auto-detects NTSC/PAL, it doesn't work with anything PAL so far, it thinks they are NTSC so they just come out in black and white with the bottom few lines missing! So no good for my megadrive :(

Should work with the pandora set to NTSC though, but have yet to make up a cable so not certain!

EDIT: Tried it with the x-box and it works flawlessly. I have already arranged to send it back and bought the somewhat more expensive (but actually branded) "video game jockey" mentioned earlier in the thread. Oddly, this more expensive one does not work with the x-box... comes out black and white when xbox is set to output PAL-60 (presumably it thinks the signal is NTSC) and colour but very blurry when set to PAL-50. Going to try it on the megadrive tomorrow. Very confused! I'm fairly sure the megadrive outputs a standard 50Hz PAL signal... anyone know any more about this?

so pal seems not working... anyway if the pandora can use ntsc and it works is better than nothing

PAL works fine with my Optima DLP projector with the Pandora, looks pretty nice especially with my 120" screen.

so pal seems not working... anyway if the pandora can use ntsc and it works is better than nothing

Well it works with the x-box and PAL... so it may be an oddity with the mega drive. I need to get a capacitor and/or s-vid connector to test with the pandora, which I'll do tonight. According to my tests so far I'd have to recommend the cheapo chinese model over the more expensive video game jockey, odd as that sounds. I think both are probably fine with NTSC signals though, and seem to prefer 60HZ in general! Will be back to confirm!

I know one of the later hotfix 6 updates made it so you didn't need to wire in a capacitor for composite to work properly? Are you using the latest and greatest hotfix?

I know one of the later hotfix 6 updates made it so you didn't need to wire in a capacitor for composite to work properly? Are you using the latest and greatest hotfix?

Oh really? That's cool. Where can I find info on this?

Doing parts shopping tonight anyhow, as I decided to mod my megadrive with a PAL-50/PAL-60/NTSC-60 switch and circuit... hopefully it will then work with the converter!

Doing parts shopping tonight anyhow, as I decided to mod my megadrive with a PAL-50/PAL-60/NTSC-60 switch and circuit... hopefully it will then work with the converter!

Think it was partially mentioned here.

Also in the EXT connector thread here.

Think it was partially mentioned here.

Also in the EXT connector thread here.

Thanks TrashyMG!

How do I get TV-out on my new Pandora? I'm in and now want my video out!

Currently the only way is to build your own or have some one do it for you.. These connectors are small and require fairly decent soldering skills.. Link's shop still sells the EXT connector and PC board (TinyBoB) to make your own.

Apparently there has been difficulty trying to find a company that is willing to make these video cables, why the OPT hasn't been able to sell them yet.

Currently the only way is to build your own or have some one do it for you.. These connectors are small and require fairly decent soldering skills.. Link's shop still sells the EXT connector and PC board (TinyBoB) to make your own.

I got a set but now that the mediafire link is down. I dont know what to do. Especially the PCB. Can someone post a new Step-by-steep guide?

Back