Best Usb-gamepad Under Linux

nimrod

Still Fresh
Hi!

I've been searching for a while now but haven't been able to come up with something useful,
so it's time to tap the collective knowledge of the Pandora-Community :D

So: WHATS THE BEST USB GAMEPAD

Requirements:

- supported under Linux
- enough Buttons to replace every Legacycontroller of every System we're able to emulate on the Pandora
(just in total numbers, I'm perfectly fine with just 2 shoulderbuttons if I can configure 2 frontbuttons to replace the missing 2
for PS-Games for example)
- high manifacturing Quality
- precise controls
- rumble effects are considered a very welcome Bonus

I found a recommendation for the "Big Ben Wireless Gamepad" in a Magazine, but from what i found out it currently doesn't work under Linux... :(

So, let the Discussion begin! All helpful comments are highly apreciated ;)

Nimrod said:
Requirements:

- supported under Linux
- enough Buttons to replace every Legacycontroller of every System we're able to emulate on the Pandora
(just in total numbers, I'm perfectly fine with just 2 shoulderbuttons if I can configure 2 frontbuttons to replace the missing 2
for PS-Games for example)
- high manifacturing Quality
- precise controls
- rumble effects are considered a very welcome Bonus
The button thing isn't going to happen if you look at MAME

I think you will want a dualshock 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see the 360 pad being supported (I have the PC wireless dongle) but not sure this is even possible?

I also have a PC USB adaptor for PS/Saturn/Dreamcast controllers on the way - http://www.consolesandgadgets.com/catalog/...-pc-p-1000.html
Unfortunately it's on back order and they don't seem to be in a rush to get them back in stock :angry:

Saturn pads would be cool for emulation, and I'm hoping that Linux will just recognise this device as a standard USB controller - no idea if drivers will be required for Windows....... :blink:

I'll be using Rumblepad 2, Dualshock 2 (via Super Joybox 5 Pro), Dualshock 3, 360, and Wii controllers with it depending on the game and location. All work well in Linux. Looking for a decent N64->USB adapter atm.

Gren said:
I'd like to see the 360 pad being supported (I have the PC wireless dongle) but not sure this is even possible?
It's possible, IIRC, but slightly buggy. I believe the wired ones have better support (sorry, I'm too lazy to look up exact links right now).

The Xbox 360 wired gamepad is great. I use it on the Mac, and my Linux machine. It's possible, and I think the drivers for it should be in the default kernel build for the Pandora.

I have 2 USB Sega Saturn controllers I bought for use with the Pandora. I also plan on using my Duke for any games that require the use of an analog stick.

-God Ginrai

Very few people would argue that the xbox 360 controller is not one of the most comfortable controllers on the market. The analog sticks are great, the triggers are tactile, and there are plenty of buttons. However, you must keep in mind battery. 360 controllers are rated at 350ma while the logitech dual action is 100ma. Dualshock 3 is another great choice, especially since it is bluetooth. If you want wii, the wiimote whould work as well, (but you will need the sensor bar.

Personally, I will use the 360 controller. It is just such a great controller. However, wire less, battery powered controllers won't take away from pandora's battery life. The 360 rumble is also fantastic. (strong enough to topple glasses placed on the same ottoman).

If budget is an issue, use a logitech dual action. If you want comfort, power, and capability, use 360. If you want small size, good quality, and good convenience, use the dualshock 3.

I have a wireless Rumblepad 2, by logitech. I used to reccomend it highly, but now that I use it more often, it has alot of flaws. The D-Pad is kind of unwieldy, it has some pointless DPAD/analog switching controls that make things hard to configure, the analogs sit in square holders that make them work weird, it doesn't turn off after its done, and the buttons are slow to click, not to mention there is a small amount of wireless lag. also rumble is a bitch to configure. I'm still looking for an alternative without going the xbox 360 route (I have some weird hang up on it, I don't know why) I might get a dualshock 3, but there just isn't enough there- it doesn't fill out my hands. i really hope logitech releases a successor and improves it and rids the flaws.

edit: i think my hangup with the 360 controller is the reversed position of the dpad and analog and the weird feel of the face buttons

enigmacipher said:
Very few people would argue that the xbox 360 controller is not one of the most comfortable controllers on the market.
Except the D-pad is shit. And from what I've heard, it isn't fully supported in Linux yet.

-God Ginrai

PoisonedV said:
I might get a dualshock 3, but there just isn't enough there- it doesn't fill out my hands. i really hope logitech releases a successor and improves it and rids the flaws.

edit: i think my hangup with the 360 controller is the reversed position of the dpad and analog and the weird feel of the face buttons
the rumblepad2 is the most comfortable controller, i think. think DS2/DS3 but the handles have a slight curve and are rubberized. fits *perfect*! if it weren't for the flaws it would be my first choice.

360 is the worst of all, imho - useless pov hat and the left analog is put in an uncomfortable spot.

Aside from not having an L2 button, I've always really liked the Gamecube controller. It fits really well into my hands and nothing is a stretch. Having said that though, the quality between controllers isn't always up there and I have used less good ones.

The original X-box controller I found so uncomfortable to use it actually made me disregard the X-box altogether. They have definitely made leaps and bounds with the 360 controller though and I would say it is probably my second favourite.

I'll settle with a wireless Logitech USB controller. I think they're good with regular gamepad drivers, so it's all good.

RenegadeChic said:
Aside from not having an L2 button, I've always really liked the Gamecube controller. It fits really well into my hands and nothing is a stretch. Having said that though, the quality between controllers isn't always up there and I have used less good ones.

The original X-box controller I found so uncomfortable to use it actually made me disregard the X-box altogether. They have definitely made leaps and bounds with the 360 controller though and I would say it is probably my second favourite.
I'd like to use my Gamecube controller, as I have a Gamecube/Dreamcast/Playstation to usb adapter, but my gamecube controller is not official and doesn't work with the adapter. It also happens with my non-official Dreamcast wheel :( the only controller I got running is the official dreamcast controller. The adapter is a Trio Linker Plus, I don't recommend it to anyone, it doesn't like non-official controllers :(

God Ginrai said:
enigmacipher said:
Very few people would argue that the xbox 360 controller is not one of the most comfortable controllers on the market.
Except the D-pad is shit. And from what I've heard, it isn't fully supported in Linux yet.

-God Ginrai

The d-pad is shit on the old ones but I just got a brand new green one and the corrected d-pad is a dream! :wub: Best classic-style controller I have ever seen. I'm usually a mouse/keyboard guy but this thing just works. :)
I love the Wiimote as well and it's a somewhat more portable option. (When not using it for something that requires a sensor bar...)

I have a Dual Shock 3 for Linux gaming
I have some trouble getting it to run over blue-tooth on ubuntu 8.10 (with Bluez 4.x packages), although it is 3 weeks ago since i checked for a solution ;)
USB works perfect as expected.

Setting up MAME controls is a little annoying, because every DS3 button is an axis as well (pressure sensitive)

On any Linux distro with patched Bluez 3.x packages it is the best Linux game pad imho.

oh, and it works on windows as well, after some driver fiddling ;-)

Back