Better Tv-out Using Usb

HackModford

I've been pondering using the USB to get a video out and I know that if we did it that way the Pandora would have to (through software) render/whatever the video signal. What if the actual hardware did it? :blink:

Maybe a little expensive but I could see where people would buy it.

Tel me what you think ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
'HackModford' said:
I've been pondering using the USB to get a video out and I know that if we did it that way the Pandora would have to (through software) render/whatever the video signal. What if the actual hardware did it? :blink:

Tel me what you think ;)
As has been discussed a 100 times it simply isn't smart or feasible.

Reasons:

Cost (the Beagleboard is a much cheaper alternative)

CPU power (or rather the lack thereof)

Drivers (ha!)

USB bandwidth simply too little (~480mbps is crap, no cpu power to compress it)

DON'T ASK ANY MORE!!

I personally am sick of seeing threads like this. The beagleboard is only $150 and offers HDMI/DVI from the start.

USB is no good as a display interconnect (not one that you expect to see moving pictures on at any rate.)

Just get over it, we don't even have proof that it can play a regular h.264 stream at 1080p on its own internal display. It might be OK until you hit an action scene and then it could stutter.

What hardware? The DSP? What if you are running a program that also needs it?

You are still talking about significant compression of the video signal to squeeze it through USB. Low resolution video is not so bad, but you get low resolution video from S-video for free. If you are talking about 720p or 1080p video, it is just not possible. The Pandora is just barely able to decode 1080p video. It certainly cannot ENCODE it in real time. Certainly not at any reasonable quality.

USB video out is not a good solution for high-video-bandwidth applications. Since high-video-bandwidth applications include high rez video and gaming, it is going to be useless for most of what people want to use their Pandora for.

Not new and not better, so the subject is misleading. Video over USB will not happen on a Pandora at the quality people want it for.

'HackModford' said:

Tel me what you think ;)
This is not in any way a new idea.

-God Ginrai

HD resolutions are out of the question (no raw bandwidth, nobody to compress, etc). for SD, resolutions, though, you could get an uncompressed SD video stream (640x480x24bit) at 60hz for subsequent digital video interfacing, if the bloody usb2 could sustain ~55MB/s in isochronous mode (i have no idea if such an isochronous payload is possible). of course, even if possible that would mean you could forget about using the usb bus for anything else at that time. but you would be getting digital SD out, if that is your cup of tea : )

Where the hell is TV broadcast at 24 hz? The vast majority of the world broadcasts in PAL, SECAM, or NTSC format at 50 or 60 hz, last time I checked. What's more, many TVs out there, even older HD sets, do not support 24 hz modes necessary for unjuddery film playback (or require a firmware update to do so); it's a common enough issue that even several AV forums have regularly-updated stickies containing lists of 1080p24-compatible sets.

hmm... i actually checked one time and there exist usb-graphic-cards based on s3-technologie on the market. they can be handled by xorg's drivers or a driver is released, forgot.
Sure, it won't be good enough to play games and even low-res videos might be a problem (no accerleration through graphic-card), but it might be valuable for presentations. For everyone in academic context that wants to use the pandora as a pda, that might be interesting enough. For my presentation, I always take my own notebook with me as that's the only way to make sure my presentation will work. Taking my pandora instead would be very very nice. A VGA-connection is pretty much always available and even if s-video was in reach (in 90% of the cases it isn't), I wouldn't want to show my presentations with that resolution.

'Chip' said:
The Pandora is just barely able to decode 1080p video.
Chip, where did you find the information that the OMAP3530 is able to decode 1080p video "barely". Have there been tests done for that on the Pandora, or is this information from the Beagle board?

'Benjiro' said:
Chip, where did you find the information that the OMAP3530 is able to decode 1080p video "barely". Have there been tests done for that on the Pandora, or is this information from the Beagle board?
Sorry, I was mistaken. It will do 720p / 1080i with TI's codec. 1080p has been theorized as possible, but nobody has had much of a chance to play with the optimized codec yet.

'typs lik dis' said:
Where the hell is TV broadcast at 24 hz? The vast majority of the world broadcasts in PAL, SECAM, or NTSC format at 50 or 60 hz, last time I checked. What's more, many TVs out there, even older HD sets, do not support 24 hz modes necessary for unjuddery film playback (or require a firmware update to do so); it's a common enough issue that even several AV forums have regularly-updated stickies containing lists of 1080p24-compatible sets.
It is true TV formats are either 50 or 60 Hz, but we´re talking about interlaced video here a, as opposed to 24 fps noninterlaced video.
The point is, the pandora would only have to provide 24 fps, the interlacing could be done by the hardware of the USB device.

Still, the discussion is inane because even at SD the needed encoding would be a huge performance decrease for the pandora. And if you only need SD, there´s a perfectly good TV-out.

It amuses me at how many people want to squeeze HD output out of this thing, as if they really need it as their all in one wonderdevice home and away from home.

NO. It fits in your freaking pocket, its a PORTABLE device. 800x480 is simply overkill for almost everything anyway and will look awesome for the screen size (4.3").

The thing is, that most people would like to use the portable for gaming or working while beeing away from home, and at the same time, just use the device for gaming and working at home.
I think that this is the future of computers anyway.

However: I got the beagleboard for that and the pandora as a portable device, I might write some beagleboard drivers so its pandora - compatible at one point.
With a bit of luck, a later batch maybe could get a DVI-D out like the beagleboard and a switch to switch between LCD and DVI-D output.

'JayFoxRox' said:
With a bit of luck, a later batch maybe could get a DVI-D out like the beagleboard and a switch to switch between LCD and DVI-D output.
that would be fabulous! i wonder how difficult it would be - i guess quite a bit since otherwise it would probably have been implemented already.

one other stupid question: how fast is sdio actually?

'hch' said:
'JayFoxRox' said:
that would be fabulous! i wonder how difficult it would be - i guess quite a bit since otherwise it would probably have been implemented already.

It will never happen the devs have already said nothing will change for later batches get over it already sheesh!

'liquidphantom' said:
'hch' said:
'JayFoxRox' said:

It will never happen the devs have already said nothing will change for later batches get over it already sheesh!

they also said 128MB are carved in stone....

Back