Tv Out, External Monitor.

• Thread starter TheCorsairMalack
  • Start date

T

TheCorsairMalack

The pandora is going to have a TV out port. This will NOT work with DVI or VGA without an expensive converter box. Correct?

Thanks!

As a side note, would it be possible to switch the ends from male to female, vice versa, on a TV out cable, and have software convert the signal? Or would this video conversion bog down the Pandora too much?

It's just that, the pandora is perfect for a wearable PC, and I wanna use it with the Vuzix iwear vr920.

TheCorsairMalack said:
As a side note, would it be possible to switch the ends from male to female, vice versa, on a TV out cable, and have software convert the signal? Or would this video conversion bog down the Pandora too much?

It's just that, the pandora is perfect for a wearable PC, and I wanna use it with the Vuzix iwear vr920.

Instead of that, why not just by Female-Female or Male-Male adapter. It's a lot easier.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
RajTakhar said:
But I think the options may change a little if the breakout box ever gets made, you may find additional outputs become available for use.
They won't. Any additional formats would require extra conversion hardware. There isn't any room on the board for it, and there certainly aren't enough pins on the EXT connector (only 14 and all are in use) to move the raw data and convert it externally.

Can the existing Pandora hardware support component video out? Dell makes S-video to component video adapter cables, but seeing as they are model-dependent, I'm guessing component video is a hardware related function.

cobaltage said:
Can the existing Pandora hardware support component video out? Dell makes S-video to component video adapter cables, but seeing as they are model-dependent, I'm guessing component video is a hardware related function.
composite yes, component I don't think so.

-God Ginrai

with a little electrical knowledge, you can build an svideo to component adapter circuit for about $15. Use an NTE790 for the brains.

lulzfish said:
Is the aforementioned TV-out just a duplicate of the internal LCD or is it a separate X display?
the latter. Software will provide 2 different signals, one for internal LCD and one for TV. We will see what developers are able to do concerning easyness-of-use

WizardStan said:
with a little electrical knowledge, you can build an svideo to component adapter circuit for about $15. Use an NTE790 for the brains.
Do you think there would be any improvement in video quality?

cobaltage said:
WizardStan said:
Do you think there would be any improvement in video quality?No. If the signal coming out of the Pandora is S-video (which it is), no magic box can create information that isn't there. Such a device would only be useful to connect the Pandora to a display that didn't have a S-video or Composite input. At best, it would only look as good as if the display did have an S-video input and you were using that.

Chip said:
No. If the signal coming out of the Pandora is S-video (which it is), no magic box can create information that isn't there. Such a device would only be useful to connect the Pandora to a display that didn't have a S-video or Composite input. At best, it would only look as good as if the display did have an S-video input and you were using that.
You could get better quality only in that newer TVs tend to produce clearer pictures given the same signal. But otherwise, yes, the circuit simply takes the 480i image from an svideo signal and simply decodes the colours into a 480i component signal. Depending on the TV and the OMAP's capabilities, however, that may be enough to give a crisp 720x480 image on your TV.

WizardStan said:
Chip said:
No. If the signal coming out of the Pandora is S-video (which it is), no magic box can create information that isn't there. Such a device would only be useful to connect the Pandora to a display that didn't have a S-video or Composite input. At best, it would only look as good as if the display did have an S-video input and you were using that.
You could get better quality only in that newer TVs tend to produce clearer pictures given the same signal. But otherwise, yes, the circuit simply takes the 480i image from an svideo signal and simply decodes the colours into a 480i component signal. Depending on the TV and the OMAP's capabilities, however, that may be enough to give a crisp 720x480 image on your TV.
Chip and WizardStan, thanks for answering my question.

WizardStan said:
Depending on the TV and the OMAP's capabilities, however, that may be enough to give a crisp 720x480 image on your TV.

I'm hoping 576i (PAL) will be supported as well?

Back