Bi-Directional Usb Otg On The Cheap!

jmetal88

Erm.... Woohoo!
Website
mikesweb.exofire.net
Check it out:
http://www.dealextre...ils.dx/sku.1009

I can happily report there is no need to be wary of this product, as I ordered one a few weeks ago, had it arrive last week, and installed an EIDE drive in it today, and can assure you all, it's a surprisingly quality piece of equipment.

Not only does it work well, but the case seems to be made out of metal (except for the caps on the end), so it should be very durable. EDIT: Just read the back of the box a little more carefully, and the shell is indeed aluminum.

It allows you to copy files to and from any other USB mass storage device, and unlike other devices in that price range, you can also pick and choose the files and directories you want to copy, rather than having to just copy the whole drive.

It's also very speedy when attached to a USB 2.0 enabled computer. It took me less than a second to copy a 100mb file over to the drive from my PC.

The only things you need to watch out for are the 'Engrish' instructions, the fact that the display defaults to Chinese (but it can be switched to English easily enough if you look at the menu structure in the instruction manual), and that you need a 2.5" hard drive no thicker than 9.5mm (I only had 12mm drives laying around when I received this, and consequently was unable to extensively test the product until I got a more modern drive off ebay). EDIT 2: Also, it claims to come with a leatherette carrying case, but mine came with a padded nylon mesh bag. Not that there's anything spectacular about fake leather anyway, and the padded nylon does provide additional shock protection, it's just a mismatch to advertising is all.

It may also be worth noting that you can't move files between directories on the same drive without hooking it up to a computer (or hooking it up to a flash drive and doing a roundabout copy-delete-copy again routine), and, of course, due to it having no keyboard you cannot create new directories on the go (unless, of course, you spot a computer to hook it up to somewhere).

I'm very satisfied with it though, and I intend to use it to store my GP32 encoded movies so I'm not limited to carrying just the amount of movies that fit on the SMC cards I have.

Back