Writing Dvds Over A Network

hitbyambulance

Website
troubletype.org
i have a work machine (running WinXP, admin rights, but it only has a CD-ROM drive) and there's a server with a DVD+-RW drive (located at //servername/DVD). i can put discs into the DVD drive on the server and copy them to my machine fine. but is there a way to write files from my machine to that DVD drive over the network? the programs i've used will only let you utilize a drive that's on your local machine.

(i know there's NeroNet, but i can't install anything onto the server machine)

Can't install anything on the server = nope, no way to do it, unless 1) it's a windows server and you can RDP into it, or 2) it's a linux server and you have terminal or X remote access to it.

But if you could install something on it, you could also use StarRocket/StarWind. But I guess... you can't.

Can't install anything on the server = nope, no way to do it, unless 1) it's a windows server and you can RDP into it, or 2) it's a linux server and you have terminal or X remote access to it.

But if you could install something on it, you could also use StarRocket/StarWind. But I guess... you can't.

k, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
so theirs 100% no way that you can install something like TightVNC on the other computer??

Another thing is why not just remove the DVD drive from the Server PC and put it in yours and put your CDRom into the Server PC???

Or even just buy a DVD Burner :p... Their only £20 - £25 now :)

--EDIT--- just noticed you said a Work PC... better not Fiddle about removing CD / DVD Drives then :)

Back