Big Fat Donkey Bollocks!!!!!!

Steve-O

NNNNOOOOOO... I put my 128 SMC Card in and it says its Empty... I put it into my PC, it says 122MB used and 2mb free BUT nothing shows up on the memory card :(

Is their a Windows tool that I could use to try and recover the SMC Card?

Thanks

mallrat37 posted on Sep 11 2005 at 08:00 PM said:
Run a scandisk on it (right click on the drive in my computer)

tried :( still nothing :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Run the SMC recovery on the GP32 itself.
It will fix it. I have had the same thing happen twice myself...

Format it with your firmware on the gp32 if possible or use ratx smc recovery tool floating around somewhere on the board.

Use something (like silver chewing gum wrapper or, as a last resort, your thumb) to connect all the pins of the card together.

Seems that sometimes charge build up can affect it.

It worked for me on a dodgy card. Hope it works for you!

Edit:
This was a card that wasn't recognized, so it may have been dirty contacts that were cleaned by touching them up.
It sounds so wrong, but all I can say is 'It worked for me!' XD

I had the same problem on vacation, but I figured out that you just have to run the "original" korean firmware and enter the transfer mode to correct the smc and then gpbios recognized the card again :)

Memnoch posted on Sep 12 2005 at 11:37 AM said:
Pfft. And to think I came to this thread to view the aforementioned donkey gonads. What a disappointment.
me got a new sig

Tried the SMC Fix on the Firmware, said No Errors, Card Contacts are clean...

Its strange, I can save files to it on the PC and then put it into the GP32 and it can read the files I just freshly put on....

if you can read it on the pc can you back up your files, then format your card with your firmware (or gpmanager) and copy them back on?

oh and by the way, has anybody had anything smc related ever fixed by using the original firmware's smc recovery tool?

edit:
I had the same problem on vacation, but I figured out that you just have to run the "original" korean firmware and enter the transfer mode to correct the smc and then gpbios recognized the card again

oops i guess at least one person has found a use for it then ;)

Do you have show hidden files and folders on in XP? There is possibly a hidden folder in the root of your SMC. That will I'd guess contain what used to be the SMC data. I don't know of any automated tools to recover it, you'll probally have to break out a hex editor ;P

Steve-O posted on Sep 13 2005 at 06:32 AM said:
Tried the SMC Fix on the Firmware, said No Errors, Card Contacts are clean...

Its strange, I can save files to it on the PC and then put it into the GP32 and it can read the files I just freshly put on....
Sounds like the FAT's become corrupt and the directory cleared without clearing the allocations.
Have you pulled it out the reader before the last write? You should always use the 'Eject' option. It forces the last write.

Your files should still be there, but you'll need a specialized tool to recover them

Maybe it was to do with playing the Quake Port??? wasnt that known to corrupt cards some times???...

Back