Big Pcengine (Tg16) Emulator Problem!

dogeymon

Still Fresh
Website
www.facebook.com
Ok, so I got the PC-ENGINE emulator working for my Wiz. We're dealing with the Wiz here, and I went to the "configure controls" section to check out what keys do what. Everything works perfect, but for getting back to the emulator's menu, it says to click "Volume Up + Down". I clicked both volume buttons: NOTHING. I clicked Volume Up and the "Down" on the d-pad: NOTHING!

Can anyone tell me how in the world I get to the emulator's menu because nothing is working. Every time I use this emulator, I have to shut down the system and turn it back on to get back to the menu to select another game.

The Volume - and + combination doesn't work for me either but in the "Configure pad" screen you can set any key you want to return to menu, so I set it to the R trigger and hit "Exit: save for ALL games" and its worked fine since.

MiOdd said:
The Volume - and + combination doesn't work for me either but in the "Configure pad" screen you can set any key you want to return to menu, so I set it to the R trigger and hit "Exit: save for ALL games" and its worked fine since.

I can't see a scenario where redefining one of the other buttons doesn't throw everything off. I need the right trigger to save my state, and the left trigger to load my state. If one of the triggers is the menu button, then I'm either going to have to go without saving states or go without loading them. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
The Y button defaults to loading the menu too.. is there a reason you need all 4 face buttons for PC-Engine games?

I use all four face buttons, I use the two buttons normally and then the other two are the turbo versions. I set both my L and R triggers to the menu because I don't like accidentally loading a state and losing my current progress. This doesn't mean I can't use save states though, at any point during the game I can press one of the triggers and Save and Load states from the main menu.

Exophase said:
The Y button defaults to loading the menu too.. is there a reason you need all 4 face buttons for PC-Engine games?

OF COURSE! Two are regular and two are turbo. Just like the original controller allowed.

So honestly, no one can figure out how to get back to the menu??? Did the creators of this emulator really release without the ability of it to do what it says it can??

How do I write to the developers themselves?? They've gotta be able to solve this problem. I don't get why it would work. Why does Volume Up + Down not work?? There are only two possibilities of interpretting that, and both don't work.

dogeymon said:
So honestly, no one can figure out how to get back to the menu??? Did the creators of this emulator really release without the ability of it to do what it says it can??

How do I write to the developers themselves?? They've gotta be able to solve this problem. I don't get why it would work. Why does Volume Up + Down not work?? There are only two possibilities of interpretting that, and both don't work.

Okay, firstly, I believe Exophase is the developer, who already posted in this topic. We both gave you a solution. (Great work btw Exophase, I love the emulator!)

Secondly, I don't see what the problem is. As I suggested earlier, why don't you sacrifice one of the save/load state buttons... how many times do you really need to use them during the course of a game? Change one button to exit to menu and save/load your states in the menu... its pretty simple.

MiOdd said:
dogeymon said:

Okay, firstly, I believe Exophase is the developer, who already posted in this topic. We both gave you a solution. (Great work btw Exophase, I love the emulator!)

Secondly, I don't see what the problem is. As I suggested earlier, why don't you sacrifice one of the save/load state buttons... how many times do you really need to use them during the course of a game? Change one button to exit to menu and save/load your states in the menu... its pretty simple.

What are you talking about?? I posted this topic. It was my question in the first place. And thank you too, Exophase. You made a great emulator with only one small flaw. Can't get back to the menu. Heh.

I appreciate the "help" but with all due respect, those weren't satisfactory solutions. I need all four buttons, two for I and II, and then the turbo buttons of those. And I save and load CONSTANTLY! I'm saving my state every step of the way in Bonk's Revenge.

Secondly, in conjunction with MiOdd's response, you can change the DEFINITION of the keys in configuration, but you can't change the keys themselves can you?? Every "key" on the left of the screen is standstill and can't be changed. So how would I make L+R a key?

Alright, now I'm just getting frustrated, after these comments, I'm done here.

dogeymon said:
What are you talking about?? I posted this topic. It was my question in the first place. And thank you too, Exophase. You made a great emulator with only one small flaw. Can't get back to the menu. Heh.

I never said anything about who created the topic, you wanted to speak to the developer so I wanted to point out that he has already replied in your topic. Furthermore, the "small flaw" you refer to is a flawed statement in it of itself. We already explained to you how you CAN get back to the menu. Heh.

dogeymon said:
I appreciate the "help" but with all due respect, those weren't satisfactory solutions. I need all four buttons, two for I and II, and then the turbo buttons of those. And I save and load CONSTANTLY! I'm saving my state every step of the way in Bonk's Revenge.

Unsatisfactory? How selfish are you? This is a FREE application that someone put a LOT of work into and because of one minor bug, you throw a hissy fit because you don't like our solutions? Here's another solution, suck less in video games and you won't need to save state every step of the way.

dogeymon said:
Secondly, in conjunction with MiOdd's response, you can change the DEFINITION of the keys in configuration, but you can't change the keys themselves can you?? Every "key" on the left of the screen is standstill and can't be changed. So how would I make L+R a key?

I think you should brush up on your reading comprehension as I never said anything about changing the combination of keys. I have my emulator set that L and R both return to menu, regardless which one you press. It's a very simple and convenient solution, even you save state constantly, it only takes an extra two seconds to return to menu first and save your game there.

So please, quit bitching and learn to appreciate the amount of hard work that goes into these things.

I don't know why vol up + vol down doesn't work - all I can really say is that I must have not tested it and there's a bug preventing it from triggering. Unfortunately, since my Wiz is bricked right now I can't do anything about it. If it gets unbricked I'll get to it.

This isn't really related to your problem per se, and I hope you don't take it the wrong way, but I think you'd enjoy Bonk's Revenge a lot more if you were cheating a little less. It's really not a very hard game and you should be able to beat it without relying on save states at all. I did it when I was a child on my TG16 and I really sucked at games back then, so I think you can do it too. At the very least you shouldn't need to constantly load state, so I think you can sacrifice a button for that. Temper remembers the menu option you were last on, so we're only talking about two presses rather than one! Besides that, when you do want to exit or load another game it'll be a lot easier to press the shoulder button than to go press the volume buttons which are pretty out of the way.

Also, there's absolutely no reason why you should need turbo in Bonk's Revenge. Temper has per-game configuration, so you should really only set the turbos for the very few games that use it. I also think there are few games where you greatly benefit from having both Turbo and non-Turbo at the same time. It's not as if you could change between them quickly on the TG16, and most shooters have auto-turbo since it's pointless to try to make the game harder with it when everyone had a turbo controller.

MiOdd said:
Alright, now I'm just getting frustrated, after these comments, I'm done here.

dogeymon said:

I never said anything about who created the topic, you wanted to speak to the developer so I wanted to point out that he has already replied in your topic. Furthermore, the "small flaw" you refer to is a flawed statement in it of itself. We already explained to you how you CAN get back to the menu. Heh.

dogeymon said:

Unsatisfactory? How selfish are you? This is a FREE application that someone put a LOT of work into and because of one minor bug, you throw a hissy fit because you don't like our solutions? Here's another solution, suck less in video games and you won't need to save state every step of the way.

dogeymon said:

I think you should brush up on your reading comprehension as I never said anything about changing the combination of keys. I have my emulator set that L and R both return to menu, regardless which one you press. It's a very simple and convenient solution, even you save state constantly, it only takes an extra two seconds to return to menu first and save your game there.

So please, quit bitching and learn to appreciate the amount of hard work that goes into these things.

Sorry, I thought you said "Exophase posted this topic". But it really said "Exophase posted IN this topic." Small misunderstanding. Sheesh.

Heh, well I need to work on how I write responses, I guess. Hey, I appreciate the hard work. If you have a paypal button somewhere, I'd love to donate to the cause. But telling you that there's a flaw in your program is helping you, I think. Or at least that's all I was trying to do. We're dumb people who are new to Linux, Wiz, and your emulator and we naturally get frustrated when things don't work. It's a natural inclination when you just plunked $179.99 for a new handheld, and has nothing to do with not appreciating your hard work. I don't even know who you are, and didn't even know you made these emulators at first, nor did I even know you roam around these forums. I appreciate that you do. So I didn't mean to complain about a free emulator, but sometimes I forget it's free when I paid $180 for the console. :)

Btw, I hear what you're saying with L+R together to go to the menu, but I don't see how I can set it do that. On the left side of the screen, there's NO SELECTION that says L+R. It says:

Up
Down
Left
Right
A
B
X
Y
L Trigger
R Trigger
Menu
Select
Volume Down
Volume Up
Volume Up + Down

If I were to take your suggestion and make L+R be the command to go the "menu", wouldn't there have to be a "L Trigger + R Trigger" selection in that list above?? What am I supposed to do? Select the word "Menu" to be to the right of the "L Trigger" and "R Trigger" titles? I don't get how I can follow your suggestion. That's all I was trying to say.

Exophase said:
I don't know why vol up + vol down doesn't work - all I can really say is that I must have not tested it and there's a bug preventing it from triggering. Unfortunately, since my Wiz is bricked right now I can't do anything about it. If it gets unbricked I'll get to it.

This isn't really related to your problem per se, and I hope you don't take it the wrong way, but I think you'd enjoy Bonk's Revenge a lot more if you were cheating a little less. It's really not a very hard game and you should be able to beat it without relying on save states at all. I did it when I was a child on my TG16 and I really sucked at games back then, so I think you can do it too. At the very least you shouldn't need to constantly load state, so I think you can sacrifice a button for that. Temper remembers the menu option you were last on, so we're only talking about two presses rather than one! Besides that, when you do want to exit or load another game it'll be a lot easier to press the shoulder button than to go press the volume buttons which are pretty out of the way.

Also, there's absolutely no reason why you should need turbo in Bonk's Revenge. Temper has per-game configuration, so you should really only set the turbos for the very few games that use it. I also think there are few games where you greatly benefit from having both Turbo and non-Turbo at the same time. It's not as if you could change between them quickly on the TG16, and most shooters have auto-turbo since it's pointless to try to make the game harder with it when everyone had a turbo controller.

I don't take it the wrong way. I virtually always cheat at games that I've already beaten once through. I beat Bonk a long time ago already, but when I'm on the road at work, there are certain levels I want to hurry and get to and I don't want to have to die a thousand deaths to get there, thanks. I've been through this game before. Cheating is my personal choice, and I should be free to do it, I think. And again, don't think I don't appreciate all the hard work. If you worked tirelessly, there's no reason why you shouldn't have charged for this app. I'd gladly pay, or even paypal a donation if you could direct me towards it. Even if I don't write responses that sound quite right, underneath, I'm really just trying to help.

By the way, have you used the turbo button in Bonk? It makes him spin really fast in the air and I use it to hover over long expanses. It's a great move. :)

There's no L + R option. The only reason Vol Up + Vol Down is in there is because on GP2X they were practically one button, that were easy to press simultaneously. On Wiz this isn't nearly the case.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't need a donation. I get enough money from gpSPhone sales >_>

Exophase said:
There's no L + R option. The only reason Vol Up + Vol Down is in there is because on GP2X they were practically one button, that were easy to press simultaneously. On Wiz this isn't nearly the case.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't need a donation. I get enough money from gpSPhone sales >_>

So it's a weird port over problem? I get it. And I get the whole thing about Using L Trigger to go to the menu, and then using Load state in the menu screen. I forgot it was in the menu. Thanks.

Incidentally, I virtually never use rapid saving and loading of states to cheat. I usually use it like the Virtual Console does it. The Virtual Console on Wii saves your state when you hit the "home" button on the Wiimote and exit your game. And then loads back where you left off when you come back. My job is driving people with disabilities around town and outside of town so I'm always having to stop playing my system between appointments and I appreciate being able to save and load when I please.

Believe me, I appreciate earning a game's ending without cheating. Game Genie most certainly did ruin video games for me as a child. I think Game Genie turned lots of children into spoiled little brats who complain about everything challenging whatsoever (LOOK AT THE ANGRY VIDEO GAME NERD!)

If that's the case then I find it odd that you're unwilling to go to the menu to save and restore, which is only an extra button press or two.

Exophase said:
If that's the case then I find it odd that you're unwilling to go to the menu to save and restore, which is only an extra button press or two.

HuH? No, I'm totally willing. It's a good idea, I'm using it that way right now. Thanks!

Back