Biggest Bargain/expenditure

About seven years back I bought the old TMNT four player arcade machine for around $1600 from the Melbourne Trading Post. Wish I still had it with me; it's not exactly the easiest thing to keep in my room at an Army barracks.

Hmmmm....

Recently I went to a gaming convention and found a Sega CD model 1, working for $30. I payed $10 more for Sonic CD. :D

I got my PlayStation for 4 bucks, a Nintendo 64 for $8, and Super Mario Kart for $3 at Goodwill(s).

got a Copy of Super Mario 64 new in it's box for $10 too. :p

My biggest purchase with my own money was when I bought a GP2X. That $160 was worth it though. :)
Well, at least until the Joystick broke... <_<

I think my biggest-ever game expenditure was Gley Lancer, bought last year, used, for $125 + shipping. It would have been more, but I had a coupon (lucky!). There may be more purchases like this, as I've been buying hard copies of games I wanted as a kid but could never get, usually because they were imports, or played the roms of and absolutely loved.

My biggest-ever console expenditure was probably spent on my Saturn. I bought a 1st gen US Saturn, even waited for a while outside a Toys 'R' Us to get it. $416. Then I had it modded for imports ($50), but it broke because some twit did something weird to the CD carousel. Then, I went through 2 broken 'loaners' from the shop who modded my Saturn, then got stuck with the 3rd one they loaned to me, which finally worked. It was a 2nd or 3rd gen Saturn, though, and I never saw my original again. That one later broke when the import switch's wires broke loose and I couldn't resolder them because there were 6 of them, and ALL RED. Worse than diffusing a bomb, I think. I recently picked up a white JP Saturn for something like $150 (I think), and will later invest in another US Saturn.

Biggest bargain? Can't remember, but here's one: Radiant Silvergun, new, for $80. Why is that a bargain? Check ebay's used prices for the game and you'll see why. ;)

my best bargain was five HP USB laser mice for $80. this was a bargain due to a manufacturer's rebate of $20 per mouse.

I got a GP2X F100 from Vilmos and a Wiz from WarmFluffyUK. Both GP32X members and both units were free. I so love this community (especially those two members) :D

I hope I've given enough back to the community, with several games and apps since though. And therre's more to come :)

I got Dead Rising for XBox360 brand new a couple of weeks after launch for £3.20. I'm not sure it's worth that much tbh. :p

Supergun (arcade harness, so arcade PCBs can be run against a normal TV) was pretty expensive (I also built one for about $20 in parts, but the purchased one was 1000x more professional, and had good controllers :)

But my biggest would be laying out a huge pile of cash, to get broken parts for various ancient and super rare machines, so that I could try to assemble working ones. Its sort of shameful to spend a pile of money on broken retro, no? :)

jeff

In the late 90s the company I worked for wanted to move premises and drop their dealings in importing consoles and software (focus switched to Playstation exclusively). I was owed some Holiday pay and had moved all the wanted stock myself. In return, my Boss - more by mistake than design - agreed that I could take all the old games related stock in lieu of any payment due. So I did.

It included (all brand new and boxed - much still in outer cartons too) -

3 x US Panasonic 3DO
3 x UK Panasonic 3DO
12 x UK Sega Megadrive
3 x Japanese Sega Megadrive
42 x UK Sega Megadrive 2
2 x UK SNES 'Killer Instinct' Pack
2 x UK SNES 'Mario Allstars' Pack
2 x UK SNES 'Donkey Kong Country' Pack
2 x UK SNES 'SFII Turbo' Pack
2 x US SNES
2 x Japanese N64 (w/Scart RGB)
8 x Atari VCS 2600
8 x US Atari Jaguar (w/Scart RGB cables)
3 x UK Sega Dreamcast
2 x UK Sega Saturn
1 x Sharp MZ80K (!)
2 x Commodore 64 (with Cassette deck!)
3 x Nintendo 'Donkey Kong Circus' Panorama Game & Watch
3 x Nintendo 'Crystal Climber' Game & Watch

In various quantities there are also multiples of every type of gameboy (from original to Advance), Atari Lynxes, countless Joypads (Jaguar included), Adapter carts for every system, Boxes, and boxes, of cartridges and discs for everything, posters and display stands (with TVs), promo items and accessories. Since we also did mods and repairs, I also got boxes full of repaired unboxed consoles, joypads and carts.

At the other end of the scale, I paid over 400 quid for a brand new, mint, boxed & unopened series 1 ZX Spectrum, even though I already had quite a few. I wish I could bottle the smell from it.

Ahem, off-topic section please? I reported it but it doesn't seem to have done much.

And mine was a Yamaha Keytar for £2. I then sold it on for £80 :p.

Bl00dy hell ASMO that was like watching the giveaway prize on The Gadget Show.
Can open a museum

SomeGuy99 said:
Asmo said:
42 x UK Sega Megadrive 2

How big was your loft? Seriously!

Heh, luckily Megadrive 2 has a slim box, so they stack pretty well!

There's also some Mega CD units, Neo Geo Pocket colors, a bunch of 32x...........

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Why have you kept them all? Surely one of each would suffice. :)
You could sell those at a nice price.

Perhaps that's why he kept them all. :p

Though I wonder about those 32Xes... I obtained an early one a few years back, and it was DOA...

Asmo said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Asmo said:
42 x UK Sega Megadrive 2

How big was your loft? Seriously!

Heh, luckily Megadrive 2 has a slim box, so they stack pretty well!

There's also some Mega CD units, Neo Geo Pocket colors, a bunch of 32x...........

I want to do a Scrooge Mcduck and swim in your retro bin.

quote said:
^ Why have you kept them all? Surely one of each would suffice. :)
You could sell those at a nice price.

Can't bring myself to, just going through the boxes of cartridges makes me grin. I came close when I saw how much Donkey Kong Circus and Crystal Climber sometimes sell for on eBay though!

Prometheus said:
Though I wonder about those 32Xes... I obtained an early one a few years back, and it was DOA...

Yeah, I do recall quite a few returns - even on the games, the Virtua Racing and Star Wars ones in particular. I'm sure I tested all my carts at one point some years ago though. I have a sack of irretrievably dead carts and consoles, I thought I could make some kind of furniture with them ;)

SomeGuy99 said:
I want to do a Scrooge Mcduck and swim in your retro bin.
Asmo_McDuck.png

Asmo said:
Yeah, I do recall quite a few returns - even on the games, the Virtua Racing and Star Wars ones in particular. I'm sure I tested all my carts at one point some years ago though. I have a sack of irretrievably dead carts and consoles, I thought I could make some kind of furniture with them ;)
The one I had would crash a lot, and would, on some games, display what I now gather was probably debugging information. It was very weird. It was a second-hand unit, but pretty much as new, and I'm guessing it had been DOA when the guy I got it from first bought it.

As far as furniture goes, how about a lamp? :p

Prometheus said:

Amazing. :lol:

Sing it:

Life is like a Toys R Us here in As-mos place
Consoles, joypads, fully boxed - it's a tech chase
You might beat King Koopa, or become Super

Retro, Oo-oo
Reams of cables, pixels and phos-pherglow, oo-oo

D-d-d-danger, watch your life guage - the final boss is on the next stage
What to do? Just plug in some more retro, oo-oo!
Not Link's bow or Ryo's throw but Retro, oo-oo!

The Pandora is actually the most I've ever spent on anything gaming-related... As far as deals go, I recently found a Sega Nomad in a local shop for about half of what they can go for on eBay. Great condition, too. :D
I also grabbed 2 Game Gears with 5 games on eBay for $10. One of them was broken, so I fixed it (replaced a few capacitors), and sold the fixed one with a couple games for more than I bought the 2 for! That felt pretty good. :)

quote said:
Ahem, off-topic section please? I reported it but it doesn't seem to have done much.
I've seen the report but decided against moving the thread ;)

Back