Bioshock

sensible GP32

the reason why ive not been around for a while, is bioshock!..

ive never played such a deep FPS, it was quite long to boot. The baddies are clever bastards too!
when i nipped outside for a ciggy by the time i had finished i was aching to play it.

anyone else had a blast, what do you fellows think of it?

i have tryed the demo on the 360. at first i thought it seemd quite good but then got bored before even finishing the demo.

You guys are the only ones I've heard say anything negative about this game. Everyone I know has raved about it. I'm buying a 360 tomorrow just for this game, it had better be good.

I'll give it another go soon. I hear there is a WideScreen patch. Considering the Game of the Year comments, I'm sure the story grows.

I work in the Information Security industry, and I'll tell you I've heard a LOT of negative comments about the game. Nothing to do with gameplay.

Ravnos said:
I'm buying a 360 tomorrow just for this game,
I don't understand, whats so much better about the 360 version opposed to the PC's to make you go out and buy a whole entire new system? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
icurafu said:
I work in the Information Security industry, and I'll tell you I've heard a LOT of negative comments about the game. Nothing to do with gameplay.

? what do you mean by that? What kind of negative comments?

To me the biggest problem with this game, and it is a HUGE FLAW is what happens when you get "killed". You see you don't really "die" you just get whisked back to a very close checkpoint. All of the hits on enemies stay how they were. This takes away the need for any kind of skill. If you have a hard time fighting any enemy just keep chipping away at it little by little. You can keep getting killed then go back to fight the same enemy until you defeat it. The only "punishment" for playing lame is that you just have to walk back through the level a bit to the same enemy from the last checkpoint. It is impossible for you to not to be able to beat any enemy even with the weakest weapon. Why waste ammo? just keep clubbing enemies with the infinite use wrench. It takes no skill and the fear of getting killed is completely removed. You don't need any strategy, just button mash, die, go back button mash some more, die, repeat until you "win". To make things worse you can save at any time. It is just too easy for even a complete spaz to beat. It is like they started out with good intentions but then sold out to the main stream "thumb candy for dummies" crowd. At least they should have made it so that when you get killed you have to start over completely from your last save if you play it on HARD level. They kind of ruined combat completely with something so stupid and easy to remedy. Maybe there will be a patch?

Also what is up with the enemies that re-spawn? It kind of makes it pointless to fight them when they just come back ;) It could have been good but they made some really lame design decisions ;)

icurafu said:
Wow. My Mum is a doctor's receptionist but it doesn't make her qualified to diagnose problems.

He's on about activation and the supposed 'rootkit' that it installs which has been proved not to be a rootkit by all but large (and generally shit) information security companies.

Anyway, the game is ace. It's difficult to describe why, but the 50's architecture adds a bit to the creepiness, but then it always does for me. You have to get past the first hour or so before you really start to get into it but that is true of most FPS/RPG type games.

I have an Intel E2160 @ 1.8GHz and a GeForce 7700GT and it's a picture to look at, so you don't need ridiculous hardware to run it.

P-J said:
icurafu said:
Wow. My Mum is a doctor's receptionist but it doesn't make her qualified to diagnose problems.

He's on about activation and the supposed 'rootkit' that it installs which has been proved not to be a rootkit by all but large (and generally shit) information security companies.

Anyway, the game is ace. It's difficult to describe why, but the 50's architecture adds a bit to the creepiness, but then it always does for me. You have to get past the first hour or so before you really start to get into it but that is true of most FPS/RPG type games.

I have an Intel E2160 @ 1.8GHz and a GeForce 7700GT and it's a picture to look at, so you don't need ridiculous hardware to run it.

Yes, it was about the rumour that securerom was using rootkits. Security people talk about security news often. Being about Sony and refering to rootkits, makes it big news which is probably why the "news" got so out of hand last week. I didn't wanna add this because it doesn't really add to the topic but since your post was so polite I just knew I had to.

My sister is also a medical receptionist, she hates it when people call her a doctor's receptionist.

Shifty said:
Ravnos said:
I'm buying a 360 tomorrow just for this game,
I don't understand, whats so much better about the 360 version opposed to the PC's to make you go out and buy a whole entire new system? :huh:

Uh, the fact that a 360 is cheaper than a video card, RAM, a faster processor, and a copy of Windows? And will probably have a longer lifespan for gaming? (hardware failure notwithstanding, thanks for the 3 year warranty MS)

Anyway, I picked it up today and I have been thoroughly impressed. This game is awesome.

I downloaded the demo this morning on my 360 and finished the demo wanting more. I'll be out getting the game over the weekend as I found it really good, if not a little bit hard to see around the place but that setting can be changed

I think the only negative things people are saying about the game is the activation. Aparently you can only activate it 5 times then you have to contact them to have it re set so you can activate it a further 5 times..

Whats the PC Specs for this game??

Might just get it on the 360 to save the hassle of upgrading etc..

Got hold of the full game today and I'm glad I did. It's fantastic so far. Haven't played it loads (I've just got the telepathy plasmid) but its brilliant. Nearly wet myself though at the bit where you get the shotgun. I knew something was going to attack me but I jumped about 6 feet into the air because i got such a fright.

Irrational...even back when they were still Looking Glass...make the best FP games.

Despite this, I still think System Shock 2 is their best work yet. Which, incidentally, has the same formula as Bioshock - even down to storyline contingents (lone survivor helping you, the nameless protagonist, through an environment against enemies who are, essentially, victims of the always-removed overlord, be it SHODAN or Andrew Ryan)...

Love 'em. Makes you wonder why people settle for the same old pap in the FPS genre these days.

purple_goat said:
I played the demo on pc and thought it was incredible!
Same here but I'm wondering if it's really worth the money.

Besides the problem that DaveC mentioned, it seems okay. Is there much replay value or is it just done with once it's beaten?

@Ravnos: Good point :)

not much replay value at all. Beat it on normal in less than a week and I've tried playing it again on hard but it's lost its sheen second time around.

I'm sure we're all gamers here. You'll probably find it considerable easy compared to other FPS. (Or atleast with a mouse)

Don't worry about the respawning factor because unless you play on hard, I doubt you'll ever respawn.

The story is entertaining enough for a fantasy story. It doesn't make any sense at all, but it's fun enough.

My honest opinion is that after giving it a go, it's good fun and it doesn't take itself too serious. You won't need to think much and you wont get stuck. The type of game casual xbox360 owning gamers like most.

I still prefer System Shock 2. :D

EDIT: Actually, it's funny that I think about. I died a couple of times on the demo. But when I actually purchased the game, I got done in once. Does anyone remember if the demo was more difficult?

in the gamestm magazine they gave bioshock 10 points out of 10 what is really, really exceptional. So it has to be really something. However, I am not interested, I do not like this kind of shooter games nor do I like next gen consoles.

Back