Blimey! Brilliant Idea Hits Me On Head!

Jon Grant

Still Fresh
if Craigix removed the screen, keyboard, controls and battery off the Pandora, stuck the remaining gubbins into a desktop keyboard case alongside a small usb HD, added ports to the back of the keyboard for power, usb, screen etc and "BINGO", you have got something like the proposed ASUS desktop EEEPC but you can sell it as an environmentally friendly desktop PC, uses sod all in power and with all the other bits removed even adding in the HD would mean it should cost less (to make) than the Pandora Portable (surely battery pack and screen add up to more than cost of a low capacity HD?) what do you think?, at the moment all the buzz is on the power requirements for desktop PC`s and how they are "carbon hostile", a low cost, low energy single unit PC like the Amiga was should sell well (you could maybe add a slim dvd drive in the side of the keyboard case as well)

:eek: :D

hobbyman said:
if Craigix removed the screen, keyboard, controls and battery off the Pandora, stuck the remaining gubbins into a desktop keyboard case alongside a small usb HD, added ports to the back of the keyboard for power, usb, screen etc and "BINGO", you have got something like the proposed ASUS desktop EEEPC
I think the Beagle Board people may have beat you to the punch there. All it needs is a USB-to-IDE adapter, a 2.5" HD and a very small box.

2420765852_063c30160b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
PFFFT! inferior low power toy, take it away :p

I hadn`t heard about this "Beagle" but the Pandora has a 3d chipset and high performance, afaik (after a quick check) the Beagle isn`t in the same league, and its more a hacks toy, this would be finished product that can call on the Pandora repository etc, PLUS no fan noise, no heat (well...not a lot), fast startup, and if you put a small battery in the power supply, immune to power dropouts (brownouts I think our American friends call em)

This is A Very good Idea. I have seen things like this but it has always been a chip with the keyboard and stuff hooked up to it. Never one unit. The only problems I see with this are multi-tasking and if this is the community to submit this idea to. If it had More or Equal gaming compatibility I would say Gung-ho! lets get to work on pandora's big "Much more Stationary" brother.

hobbyman said:

I hadn`t heard about this "Beagle" but the Pandora has a 3d chipset and high performance, afaik (after a quick check) the Beagle isn`t in the same league, and its more a hacks toy, this would be finished product that can call on the Pandora repository etc, PLUS no fan noise, no heat (well...not a lot), fast startup, and if you put a small battery in the power supply, immune to power dropouts (brownouts I think our American friends call em)
The beagle board has the exact same chip as the pandora. It's not a finished product, but could be used to make one.

hobbyman said:

I hadn`t heard about this "Beagle" but the Pandora has a 3d chipset and high performance, afaik (after a quick check) the Beagle isn`t in the same league, and its more a hacks toy, this would be finished product that can
Maybe you should have clicked on the link provided. The beagle uses exactly the same chipset as the Pandora, and was actually used to port Linux to the OMAP before it was ported to the Pandora. Rather than an LCD, the Beagle uses a HDI socket, so you can think of it as a low-cost fanless computer. The beagle isn't available to the public yet, but some developers do have pre-production boards, as they are very useful to get software up and running before Pandora hardware is released.

oh! all right! I stand corrected, I STILL think its a good idea though, more is better, right?
BTW I thought Craigix was using the TI chipset purely cos someone from TI floated into the forums and offered it, derailing the development of Pandora, so if Pandora ended using the OMAP by some special deal, how come these scurvey "beagle" dogs are stealing the glory, now everyone and their uncle seems to be fronting OMAP `Puters, a pox on em all I say, they are just trying to steal our glory....ATTACK! ATTACK I SAY.....KILL EM ALL

oh!

er

I mean

well? It`s STILL a good idea in MY opinion LOL

(Medication now taking full effect)

note to self...click on suggested link

DUH!

but its STILL a good idea IMO, it would be somewhat like an Amiga with OpenGL goodness, all we need now is Pan-Amos and I`d be rocking (Yeah! I`m a BASIC fanboy), you can keep your Include <stdio.h>,main(null){prinf "hello world";} rubbish :) , print "hello world" is much more legible IMO :p (how come smileys typed by hand don`t show??)

hobbyman said:
you can keep your Include <stdio.h>,main(null){prinf "hello world";} rubbish :) , print "hello world" is much more legible IMO :p
Try Python or Ruby :D

hobbyman said:
note to self...click on suggested link
:D

Include <stdio.h>,main(null){prinf "hello world";} rubbish :) , print "hello world" is much more legible IMO :p (how come smileys typed by hand don`t show??)

Try reading the help files for the board ;)

(It's :p not :p. No noses here)

We had a rep from Toshiba chatting to us recently, and the way mainstream laptops are going will shoot your socks off.

Expect some amazing developments within the next 2 years.

WarmFluffyUK said:
We had a rep from Toshiba chatting to us recently, and the way mainstream laptops are going will shoot your socks off.

Expect some amazing developments within the next 2 years.
I expect more amazing developments in the eeePC to Pandora segment ;)

read the help files??

you mean READ the help files?

are you mad?

who EVER reads help files?

next you will be telling me to read the assembly instructions for
t
h

i

s

o

f

f

i

c

e

chair.....oh bugger!...anyone got a spanner?

:)

You're not related to John Cleese are you? Somehow I could imagine him sounding like you on a forum. Maybe you are JC. Ho ho ho!

Although... I wonder how feasible it would be to port stuff from the Pandora to the Beagle... Since they're the same chips, not too difficult in the programming department, right?

It would make a very neat ~$200 desktop core, and if it could use the same repositories as Pandora's, the fact that it's not an X86 wouldn't be too big of a downside to many people.

Back