Blu- Why Even Bother With Turning Off The Light?

T

TelcoLou

Is there any possible way, maybe with a hardware mod, that you can disable the on/off toggle using the select button? The BLU without the light is utterly useless, well .. for me at least. Yeah, you could turn it off while playing MP3s, but I don't ever use my gp32_console for that.

I don't mean to come across like I'm bitching about it, just a small annoyance while playing fGen, since it uses the select button as the Genesis' A button.

I think A would be better as the right shoulder button so that should be (and will probally be easier to be) fixed instead of modding the BLU.
It really should have a light on/off button off its own though instead of using select- doesn't that standard firmware use the select button to choose between options? That'll be flashy...

I agree (though I do like the sel, B, A layout, it;s comfortable :) ) I guess I'm more curious than anything if it's possible to do a hardware mod for it. Also wondering why they included the feature in the first place, as you really can't see a damn thing with the light off.

I just tried this to be sure; I braved scorching my vampire-white skin and went outside and turned off the light ... even in bright sunlight, the LCD is very dark.

Of course this should be possible. I'd expect it to be as easy as desoldering some connector and soldering it to somewhere else.

But I don't have a BLU to check that out. Why don't you look at your GP32 yourself? All you need is a multimeter (whatever that is called in English... in German it is "Multimeter" ;) )

It's called a multimeter here too :) Problem is ... I'm a chickenshit when it comes to electronics :lol: I was able to install an Afterburner in my GBA, but the instructions were very clear and it was a simple mod ... I wouldn't even know where to begin, and I'd likely fry my precious gp32_console !!

Thanks for the input though...sounds promising :D

finty101 posted on Jul 5 2004 at 10:56 AM said:
So when your playing MegaDrive games the light keeps going off?

Well thought out gamepark.
It's much better than the crappy flu switch imo. It's just the select button isn't meant to be used as an action button, and it only happens if you need to hold it down for more than 3 seconds (so for running or whatever). I'm happy with the select button as it is, it's only fgen that has a small problem, and this can easily be rectified with the option to use R as the A button.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck, you're going to need it. Because what I think you're going to have to do is cut a track. And this might be dangerous, because the PCB in the GP32 is most likely a multilayered one, which means it has more then 2 copper layers much like a motherboard which has about 8. So chances are you're not only cutting the track that leads from the select button to the BLU on/off chip, but also underlying tracks. That's the first problem, the second problem is: Which track do I cut ;)

Antiriad posted on Jul 5 2004 at 03:54 PM said:
Quit panicking, it may well be possible for Rlyeh to overwrite this built in functionality with the BLU.
I doubt it, as it think it must be done via hardware.

He should make it so you could swap the mapping of the buttons as it only happens when you hold down select for 3-5 seconds, not when you do it for 2 seconds or less...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back