Can't Browse Filesystem, Totally Locked Out, Help!

puppydee

Linux Virgin!
Website
Visit site
SOLUTION!

If you are having the same problem as me written below this is how to fix it-

I've figured out what triggers the bug in the file manager, if you change the way you view files from "View as icons" to "View as Detailed list" it locks you out of browsing through the folders or even just selecting files but changing back to "View as icons" again and you should be ok

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've just came across something weird with my pandora. I've just decided to add some more games but when I go into file manager it'll let me go into the first folder but wont let me go into anywhere else and if I double click any program or document or folder it just doesn't open or even select it. I thought maybe it was my sd card playing up but it does it in the pandoras storage aswell. It'll let me create a folder but it won't let me go into it? I can't drag and drop either it's just not letting me do anything. I've switched it off and rebooted but it's still the same. I've even took out the battery and it's still the same. I can double click a game on the desktop and it'll run but if I have file manager open and select desktop and double click the game it does nothing, it doesn't even highlight the game. If I run picodrive and click load iso/rom it'll let me scroll through the file system but file manager wont let me do anything? weird, hope someone can figure out my problem because I'm stuck? :)

Edit: I've noticed my bluetooth light is on and it wont disable even though it say's it is being disable, do you think that might have something to do with it?

Edit: Rebooted, no bluetooth light on now but problem persists :( I think the problem started after I clicked the toggle bluetooth and also disable wifi. I wanted to turn them off to prolong battery life but then I got these problems :( Won't let me even into the first folder now :(

The bluetooth disabling has a bug that will be fixed with the upcoming hotfix 2 :)

Double-Clicking of PND-Files is not yet supported, so you can't do that with the File Manager.

Also, it seems that file manager has some bugs - some times I can't browse with it, too.
That's no borked firmware, that's some bug in Thunar we need to figure out.

Maybe you should drop Thunar and use this instead:
http://emelfm2.net/
It's very powerful and feature-rich.

Double click a pnd to run it can be enabled, if you set a file association of .pnd to "pnd_run" application. Note however that is not in by default (we ran out of time), and there are limits -- consider that a single .pnd file can contain multiple applications, so associating to pnd_run will cause pnd_run to just run the first one (since it won't know which subapp you mean.)

We'll have to look into that in the future..

jeff

EvilDragon said:

I don't have a Pandora, but have stumbled across a problem in XFCE that sounds similar (assuming you're using "detailed view"):

http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6230

There is a fix if it's that :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'll reflash the firmware because it's still not working. I've been out all night so I haven't had chance to reply or anything. It's not a big problem and I'm not complaining I just wanted to point out a bug that's all so it can be fixed in later firmware updates. I never use bluetooth anyway normally so I assume it's always off unless turned on, I was just making sure it was off to save on power so I won't be clicking it again until it's fixed :) Thanks for everyones input :)

Since I've had my pandora everything has been fine using the file manager so reflashing the firmware should take me back to when it was working wont it? It was only since I enabled and disabled bluetooth the problem started so reflashing should cure that shouldn't it?

Oh well, reflashing my pandora now anyway, atleast I'll know how to reflash my pandora even if it doesn't fix the problem :)

Edit: Works fine now after reflashing and it only took 2 or 3 minutes, sweet. Gonna try some sega cd games now :)

EvilDragon said:
The bluetooth disabling has a bug that will be fixed with the upcoming hotfix 2 :)

Double-Clicking of PND-Files is not yet supported, so you can't do that with the File Manager.

Also, it seems that file manager has some bugs - some times I can't browse with it, too.

I have other issues with thunar: you cannot select multiple objects and then select "properties" on the menu!
Replaced with pcmanfm in my xfce setup

I've figured out what triggers the bug in the file manager, if you change the way you view files from "View as icons" to "View as Detailed list" it locks you out of browsing through the folders or even just selecting files but changing back to icons again and you're fine. Phew, saves me from reflashing my pandora everytime I get the problem. I don't know if everyone gets the same problem but atleast those that do will now be able to get it working again. Just thought I'd mention it. I was just about to reflash my pandora when I stumbled upon that :)

I'm fairly sure there is something else to this rather than just the detailed view.

I had always used detailed view to view the file structure on my sdcards (labelled SD1 and SD2), one day anything in a directory below root failed to execute/open in any way. I formatted and rebuiult the card to no avail and ended up reflashing which solved the problem.

Fast forward a week or so and the same thing starts to happen, now it appears that i had a corruption on SD1. So i took it out, formatted and started to rebuild. While i was doing this i tried to navigate SD2 and found this issue again. turning off the detailed view certainly works. But i am reasonably sure i was happily mooching about around the file systems (certainly in nand i was trying to find a download done in fennec at the weekend just gone) with details turned on.

[edit] in fact having found the issues again yesterday and read this 20 minutes ago, i switched to "view as icons" and everything worked as expected. i then switched to the second view option and then "view detailed list" and they work also. I am just openeing an MP3 file from a single directory below root.

Doesn't this have something to do with permissions and umask for the SD cards? For those of you who can easily reproduce this bug - are you using FAT32-formatted SD cards, or ext2/3?

torpor said:
Doesn't this have something to do with permissions and umask for the SD cards? For those of you who can easily reproduce this bug - are you using FAT32-formatted SD cards, or ext2/3?
im using FAT32

Alerino said:
nautilus should be ported, it even supports network shares over ssh/sftp

Sure, if you want a program that doesn't give a damn about the rest of the system it is on.

-God Ginrai

Back