Blu+ - Why So Much Dearer?

craigix posted on Oct 19 2005 at 04:40 PM said:
I don't think those titles are new enough to have used the unofficial SDK, its only programs which used the alternative SDK with porblems, anything made with the GP SDK works fine on both units.
Pinball dreams does not work on the blu+ and so does gpbios (really nice fw though :))

quote from ED (concerning pinball dreams):
"It works on the BLU+, though it has sound stuttering and runs too slow."

Last edited by a moderator:
aapje89 posted on Oct 21 2005 at 01:39 AM said:
craigix posted on Oct 19 2005 at 04:40 PM said:
I don't think those titles are new enough to have used the unofficial SDK, its only programs which used the alternative SDK with porblems, anything made with the GP SDK works fine on both units.
Pinball dreams does not work on the blu+ and so does gpbios (really nice fw though :))

quote from ED (concerning pinball dreams):
"It works on the BLU+, though it has sound stuttering and runs too slow."

Dammit, no Pinball Dreams? How well does it run on GP32 in UAE? ;)

My GP32 BLU+ should arrive in the mail any day now, and I'm doing my best not to get worried from all the naysayers that reckon it's no good......

I mean, surely if there were major incompatibility problems then sites like gbax would have posted notices telling people that they're selling BLU+ units that don't work with such and such...

Hmm.

<crosses fingers>

idigital posted on Oct 21 2005 at 07:59 AM said:
Dammit, no Pinball Dreams? How well does it run on GP32 in UAE? ;)

UAE doesn't exist on the GP32.

Squidge is trying to get it running nicely on GP2X though.

Don't sweat it Idigital. Everyone here can attest to the fact that I was so worried about my GP32 not working, I asked all kinds of questions. It took three weeks to get one that didn't even work, then I had drive problems when I got the good one. While waiting for my system, I kept going back and forth wondering how much I could do with it and how good it really would actually be.

But it's been great ever since. Nintendo, Genesis, and Turbografx emulation works damn great, and the Snes emulation is better than I thought it would be. I was worried about a lot, yet now that I have the machine, there's hardly anything about it that I don't like.

Take it from someone who was in EXACTLY the same boat you were, but for a whole month- some stuff isn't gonna work on the system, such as some specific games and stuff. But there's so much that works and so much that it does well, you're gonna spend all day playing around with new applications and emus.

Great post mrdark. It doesn't matter if a few things won't run (or run properly), because there are literally thousands of games to play on the GP32!

mrdark posted on Oct 21 2005 at 01:33 PM said:
Don't sweat it Idigital. Everyone here can attest to the fact that I was so worried about my GP32 not working, I asked all kinds of questions. It took three weeks to get one that didn't even work, then I had drive problems when I got the good one. While waiting for my system, I kept going back and forth wondering how much I could do with it and how good it really would actually be.

But it's been great ever since. Nintendo, Genesis, and Turbografx emulation works damn great, and the Snes emulation is better than I thought it would be. I was worried about a lot, yet now that I have the machine, there's hardly anything about it that I don't like.

Take it from someone who was in EXACTLY the same boat you were, but for a whole month- some stuff isn't gonna work on the system, such as some specific games and stuff. But there's so much that works and so much that it does well, you're gonna spend all day playing around with new applications and emus.

That's what I figured, thanks :)

I've basically bought a GP32 at the last minute because I couldn't wait for the GP2X and there is so much excellent homebrew available for the GP32 already, one of those people that considering buying a GP32 years ago and never got around to it ;)

And it should be in my letterbox on Monday \o/

Cheers!

P.S. Durn, no UAE on GP32, well there's another reason to buy a GP2X! hehe

Anyways, I think I heard there's a good version of Pinball Dreams on Megadrive that would be playable with that DrMD thing everyone's raving about ;)

It's true. I first bought the system because I found out about the Pocket Famicom, a cool little gadget. This led to me discovering the GP32, which blows the PF away. But at first I couldn't find it anywhere in stock, so I bought a used one off ebay for a high price.

In my excitement of waiting the long time for it to arrive from overseas, I asked all kinds of stuff. How fragile is it, what kinds of batteries should I use, how compatible is it with emus and games, and so on.

What I found can be summed up like this- don't expect for every single game you've ever loved, and know that setting up your game cards will take a little time. But after a day or less, you'll be playing all kinds of games for all kinds of systems.

I wanted to play all my fave Snes games, and I got a lot of different opinions. By the time I got my system I was sad that it wasn't going to be as good as I first thought it would be, but since by then I didn't have lofty expectations, I was pleasantly surprised. Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario, Ultima 6, Chrono Trigger, and all kinds of other games work really well for it. Just don't expect perfect emulation and know that some games will take some light fiddling with frameskip options and so on, and you'll probably be as happy as I was.

Same goes for Mame. I was sad that the Mortal Kombat games weren't possible on the system (which, now that I have the system, I see was way too big a goal). But yet it does emulate lots of other classics. Just don't hope for too much and you'll be pleased. As lame as that sounds, it's true- the thing is great as long as you don't equate "open-source multi-emu machine" with "perfect ports of everything I grew up playing". Not that you think this, just as a rule of thumb.

Now with some emus such as Nes and Genesis and so on, you pretty much DO have perfect ports. Add to this great text readers to store any of your documents and versions of Doom and Super Smash Bros. and so on, and you have a kickass little machine.

I too wondered whether I should've waited for the GP2x. Sure, when it arrives you'll see how cool it is and debate your decision. But you're definitely not getting a bad machine in the GP32. Instead you're getting one that's been around so long that everyone can help you with it and you can always find new little things to play on it. It's fun as hell.

My last advice is to just make sure you ask the important questions about your firmware and battery use- you know, general care of your now-rare system. I got my 15 minute rechargeables today, keep the system in its case when not in use, and didn't mess with the firmware or PC link at all. Now I switch between 30 Snes games, 50 Nes, and a couple dozen Genesis as well as handfuls of other things too. That's worth my price of admission alone.

I waited for a solid month for my system and had almost every hangup you could have (just check my topic history!) but now that I've got it about 80% smoothed out, I barely put it down. Old-school retro all the way, brother. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

PS- For a great pinball game check out Devil's Crush for the GPengine emulator. Maybe not what you're looking for, but for smooth portable pinball it's great.

Back