Booting to console, not X.

Linux-SWAT

Forum Addict!
Hi.

I made some changes and i can't log into X anymore. I need to debug what went wrong.

I suppose i have to change the default runlevel in /etc/inittab :

Code:
# The default runlevel.

id:5:initdefault:

What should i set ?

Will startx or starxfce4 will work ?

Code:
id:3:initdefault:

When in doubt, use Arch wiki (or man pages).

And yes, startx will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmm 3 and 4 doesn't work.

That's strange, because 5 gives me the X cursor.

Somewhat related

Is your .xinitrc broken? Thought, I don't really know how the boot process works under Pandora/Angstrom, still don't have one.

On a working system, psplash=false did the trick, but startx or startxfce4 don't work : Cannot open log file "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"

Seems the xinitrc called by the runlevel 5 has different settings.

I develop a Xfce UI, and it works as my current user, but when installing with a test user, Xfce won't load :/

Of course, "sudo init 5" launches Xfce.

I do this, when creating my package.

It will be gzipped, and installed by the .pnd

./package/root contains the UNIX tree, ie. /usr, /etc, /lib ... and is gonna installed into the root of the OP system.

chown -hR root:root ./package/root

chmod -R 0755 ./package/root

chmod go= ./package/root/

And i build the package as root, but i edit it with the same username than the working one under OP.

Browsing the created archive, all is root:root rw-r-r

When I changed the runlevel to 3, my system would not boot past the splash screen. So I disabled the splash screen and it then wouldn't boot at all, it just displayed "Pandora #"

On a working system, psplash=false did the trick, but startx or startxfce4 don't work : Cannot open log file "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"

I develop a Xfce UI, and it works as my current user, but when installing with a test user, Xfce won't load :/

Seems like permission problems. You could boot into X, but disable SLIM from the inittab so it won't start SLIM/xfce.

When I changed the runlevel to 3, my system would not boot past the splash screen. So I disabled the splash screen and it then wouldn't boot at all, it just displayed "Pandora #"
You have to push "enter".

Seems like permission problems. You could boot into X, but disable SLIM from the inittab so it won't start SLIM/xfce.

I checked a last time yesterday, and the problem come from the archive. Will compare slim permissions.

My permissions were crap.

And the problem was the default user in slim.conf.

Thanks all.

Back