Brand New Gp2x - Bad Battery Life

guitargamer

Still Fresh
Today i got my gp2x in the mail, and my batteries are not lasting more than 30 minutes (these are the ones that came with my gp2x mind you) when i first placed them in it said medium, after 10 minutes the red light came on...are they not fully charged or something?if they are not, why did it say medium charge available??

You should always charge new rechargeables... you never know how much they've been charged previously.

Also make sure you have a decent battery charger, one that actively checks the batteries as they charge and changes the charging rate.

PokeParadox said:
You should always charge new rechargeables... you never know how much they've been charged previously.

Also make sure you have a decent battery charger, one that actively checks the batteries as they charge and changes the charging rate.
Thankyou,
Can you reccomend anywhere in the uk that would sell a top of the range battery charger?

Oh yes and also,
are rechargeables in the gp2x supposed to get just the tiniest bit warm while in use?they are not hot, just the tiniest fraction warm, you can barely feel it but i know that they are

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been many, many threads on this subject in the past.

To summarise, get at least 4 high quality AA batteries (one to use, one to charge/store); they must be PHOTO grade (referred to as "Photo" or "Digital" on packaging), at least 2500NiMH. I have Duracell ones and Fujicell ones, 2650NiMH and 2700NiMH respectively. Any NiMH recharger is fine, if they are a trickle charger leave them for about 24 hours to charge, if the recharger cuts out (green light goes on) after a while (mine at about 3 hours), then put them back in again to top up. Never use alcaline batteries, waste of time, as you would have got in your pack with the system, for the reason you discovered.

Yes, the batteries will get a little warm, this is normal, due to the power the GP2x drains from the batteries; if they are getting hot, you need better batteries as they can't cope. With a good set of batteries you should get a couple of hours or so between recharges.

A good source for batteries and chargers is e-bay; cheaper. Avoid generic batteries or Chinese/Hong Kong sellers, unless the batteries state they are made in Japan (not China). If you don't, you may get low grade batteries which are fine for normal applications but NOT for the power hungry, battery sapping, GP2x.

Thanks very much bacteria :) sorry i didn't realise there were that many threads

So i will get a couple of hours battery life, not the expected 5 hours that GPH has stated?

Also, i did not get alkaline batteries with my system :blink: i got NI-MH batteries (the ones that come with the mkII value pack that say "designed for gp2x" so i would imagine with a good charger these would suffice? seeing as they state they are designed for the gp2x

PokeParadox said:
You can get around 4 with some nice new high capacity batteries.

As Bacteria said this has been covered many times before. :)
Thanks,
Yes im sorry, i'll use the search button next time :)

i can recommend 7dayshop for batteries and chargers, excellent prices too. (Their own branded ones)

mrsnature said:
i can recommend 7dayshop for batteries and chargers, excellent prices too. (Their own branded ones)
Thanks alot, are they what you're using?

guitargamer said:
mrsnature said:
Thanks alot, are they what you're using?

Yes, and a few other people I think. I have the 2700mah ones and they last much better than my 2500mah kodak batteries. I also use the ultra fast 1hr charger (a bit more than one hour with 2700mah's though) with no problems, although some people have said that charging them slower charges them higher (i prefer the quick charge though!)

here's some direct links:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_in...ducts_id=102046

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_in...ducts_id=101842

guitargamer said:
Thanks very much! :)
And what battery life are you getting with the 2700 MaH?

Umm never really tested much, so i'm not going to be much help, but probably somewhere between 3-5 hrs i'd say :rolleyes: They also seem to hold their charge well when not in use.

I'm using INCA-2600 and getting around 3-4 hours depending on overclocking. Pretty good for cheapies.

One thing Ive noticed after getting the GP2X branded AC converter is, I can now get a stable 275Mhz overclock, whereas the best I got on batteries was 266 for about 1 hour max, 275 caused a crash.

I guess my AA cells weren't up to the extra drain?

coldfis said:
I'm using INCA-2600 and getting around 3-4 hours depending on overclocking. Pretty good for cheapies.

One thing Ive noticed after getting the GP2X branded AC converter is, I can now get a stable 275Mhz overclock, whereas the best I got on batteries was 266 for about 1 hour max, 275 caused a crash.

I guess my AA cells weren't up to the extra drain?
Yeah probarbly,
I've found some batteries classed as "the best batteries in the world" and last 7X longer...but not rechargeable :(

Does anyone know if i would be better off with 2500,2600,2700 or 2800 MaH?

guitargamer said:
Does anyone know if i would be better off with 2500,2600,2700 or 2800 MaH?
2800MaH of course :)

but don't get some cheapy batts that claim to be super high capacity off ebay...

Back