Brand New Gp2x Freezes At Black Screen.

organicchunkysalsa

Still Fresh
OK so I just got my gp2x and i tookit out of the box, put in the crap batteries and turned it on. It booted to the menu and when i scrolled over a couple times it froze. So I waited a bit and then turned it off. When I turned it back on it only booted to the black gp2x screen. So i figured i would try new batteries, i bought some rechargeables(2500mah) and charged em overnight. When I put in those batteries and booted all I got was the screen with the vertical colored lines. So I figured for craps and giggles I would try the crappy bexel batteries again and when i turned it on I can get the black gp2x screen with those batteries. I dont yet have an SD card, it shoudl be here this week. And when i recieved my unit it was already at Firmware version 1.01. Can anyone help me with this?

When i got mine for xmass, the first thing i did was scrap the battery contacts of the gp2x. Users have reported a coating on it.

I used the Bexel batteries for 10 minutes, and then used my Energizer 2500mah rechargables and everything worked out for me.

When i got mine for xmass, the first thing i did was scrap the battery contacts of the gp2x. Users have reported a coating on it.

I used the Bexel batteries for 10 minutes, and then used my Energizer 2500mah rechargables and everything worked out for me.

I am starting to wonder if the batteries somehow didnt charge all the way, I have since put them back on the charger again and they have been charging for at least the last hour. I dont know why they would continue to charge if they had charged fully the first time.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have an old charger with fixed low trickle current your batteries might continue to charge for 24 hours or more.

If you have a newer charger of the 15 minute or 1 hour variety they will charge to 70% capacity in the stated time. Typically a 2500mah will take 40 minutes with a delta v charger.

At the rate GP2x discharges them I think I will invest in one today.

maplin

Search for sprint charger and you should get the range -

N11BU £39.99 for a 1 hour with 4 off 2500mah AA's

N13BU £29.97 for a 15 minute (70%) + 4 off 2300mah AA's

Well I charged my batteries overnight again and popped them in this morning after the charger said they were done and once again all I got was the white screen that fades to the vertical colored lines. This is pretty annoying, I may just call the place back that it came from and see if they can exchange it.

Perhaps dirty contacts or the like? But since you're getting power into the unit and its dead.. sounds like a bad unit to me :/

jeff

I have this issue as well, as have others. I think its a relatively prevelant issue in the non-first additions, of course, I'm just guessing.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=23814

If you were planning on it anyway, pick up a DC adapter and see if it powers without issue. Mine works fine with one.
Dynamism was out of GP2X's when I called last week, but told me to check back again this week and they would replace when they had one in stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, have had a similar problem... also with the random coloured lines, and the freezing at green screen and black screen.
At first i thought (as has been stated further up) that it was batteries, so i bought some Duracel +super+mega+hyper ones (about £5 for 4 :S ) and they seemed to last for a few hours, and then the same thing occured. Tried it with recharables and i get about the same length of use out of the unit with expensive/cheap/rechargable batteries.
I've even tried it with a regulated 3/3.3v DC PSU - and absolutely nothing happened.
Dont have any brand new batteries in my place as of yet, and will be the first thing i try over the next few days.

Has anyone had any joy resolving this issue? and any word from GPH about this issue at all?

Back