Breakout Board (developer Version)

mac_d4di

Still Fresh
Hello there
I recently got one of these on the cheap, wanted the comercial version but this one was very cheap.
I got this mainly incase I ever brick my GP2X but also for connectivity purposes (Im not a developer)
My question is what other cool things can I do with this and is there any good guides available ?

Thanks in advance
:gp2x

You can use the dev. board to get the following:
- TV out.
- External hard disk drive support.
- USB keyboard and mouse support (for some game like quake).
- USB game pads support.
- Multiplayer in some games/emulators.

sehs33 said:
You can use the dev. board to get the following:
- TV out.
- External hard disk drive support.
- USB keyboard and mouse support (for some game like quake).
- USB game pads support.
- Multiplayer in some games/emulators.
Thanks for your quick reply, can I use a memory key or a card reader and memory card
thanx

Last edited by a moderator:
One other quick question - can the serial port double as a VGA port? Or is the S-Video connector the only video connection to a TV/Monitor?

@mac_d4di: Yes you can, I even got my SD + USB card and it worked.
@vaustein: Logically and AFAIK it can't, but I never tried hooking my vga monitor to the serial port, the S-Video is the only connector, but you can convert S-Video to RF, composite and scart with simple cheap adaptors, and S-Video can be also displayed in a VGA using what's called a VGA Box which can be found for $50 or so. You can also hook the S-Video to projectors easily since most of them (at least the ones I used) have S-video input.

vaustein said:
One other quick question - can the serial port double as a VGA port? Or is the S-Video connector the only video connection to a TV/Monitor?
Hi there that may be something I can help with after looking at the serial port there is not enough pins for a vga monitor so I would have to say no :angry:

mac_d4di said:
vaustein said:
Hi there that may be something I can help with after looking at the serial port there is not enough pins for a vga monitor so I would have to say no :angry:

Also, the port would have to be female not male :(
Oh well, it's still a step toward GP2X-as-BlackBoxPC :ph34r:

That's an incredibly stupid question if you think about it... how on Earth do you expect RS232 to carry all the same signals as VGA?

Orkie said:
That's an incredibly stupid question if you think about it... how on Earth do you expect RS232 to carry all the same signals as VGA?
Maybe they don't 'expect' it to, but perhaps were seeking knowledge that they did not have in the areas of weird-looking plugs on a circuit board by posting a query in a forum section entitled "I need Help", specifically in a thread entitled "Breakout Board (developer Version)".

Orkie said:
Well, VGA requires 6 signals, RS232 requires 3, so combine them together and you can easily use a 9-pin serial port connector :)

Whats more, if you supplied a lead in a box which only had RX, TX, GND, then you wouldn't even need a convertor for the serial port - just one for the VGA. You can even make a splitter cable to give you both at once :)

Eg:

1 H-SYNC
2 RX
3 TX
4 V-SYNC
5 DIGITAL GND
6 RED
7 GREEN
8 BLUE
9 ANALOG GND

EDIT: Before anyone thinks differently, of course this isn't the case. It's just a bog-standard serial port. It would have been nice though :D

vaustein said:
Also, the port would have to be female not male :(
Oh well, it's still a step toward GP2X-as-BlackBoxPC :ph34r:
There is no way for the VGA to come out of a GP2X without opening up the case and soldering directly to the Conexant encoder chip.

This is assuming we can ever figure out how to get it to set video modes correctly, even the emus and apps haven't done that on TV-Out yet.

The datasheet to the cx25874 shows exactly how to do that, but the only person who seems to have played with that is rlyeh.

Kinda difficult for me to play with it as I have no TV...

Back