Bricking Your Gp2x

project86

I'm still trying to get my hands on a GP2X, but I was just curious. If you end up bricking it, is there any way to recover it or is it just done for? Also, is that covered by the warranty thru any of the major retailors, or is there a warranty thru the manufacturer?

Just curious, with my luck I probably will brick it the 1st day I get it.

If you only brick the kernel or the software, you can easily reflash them with an sd card.
But if you brick the entire thing, than your GP2X is messed up permanently.

If you only brick the kernel or the software, you can easily reflash them with an sd card.

And in that case, would I be covered by either the seller or by GPH?

Also how often are people really experiencing "brickage" and what is it usually caused by?

Last edited by a moderator:

And in that case, would I be covered by either the seller or by GPH?

Also how often are people really experiencing "brickage" and what is it usually caused by?

Well I bricked my first edition GP2X and had to return it to gp32z and am waiting for a replacement unit right now. There really is no pure science to what causes a brick, could be the hardware, could be the software, the card, the formate the card is in, the files on the card, or your system just not liking you.

You should be pretty safe ordering a GP2X now, but I guess you can never be 100% sure. But just wait for the 40 posts that will come after mine and say that they don't have a bricked unit and that it is totally safe to buy one. Then you can make up your mind. :)

It is NOT messed up permanently!

Can be fixed using a JTAG cable. I've got one and am currently trying to figure out how to reflash (wit a LOT of help from DJWillis :))

I'm still trying to get my hands on a GP2X, but I was just curious. If you end up bricking it, is there any way to recover it or is it just done for? Also, is that covered by the warranty thru any of the major retailors, or is there a warranty thru the manufacturer?

Just curious, with my luck I probably will brick it the 1st day I get it.

If you will not mess up the bootloader then unbricking is relatively easy. Just remember to not put the "gp2xboot.img" file on SD card.

There havnt been as many people bricking their 2x' with the more recent firmwares, have there? Dont hear it as much as in the beginning... hopefully thats the case.

People do learn and the newer updates don't have the bootloader images too.

Back