I Want A Gp2x But Concerned...

Thank you for your responds, especially Tobrian for the answering the bricking question very well :)
Too bad to hear the Snes emulation stuff, Im not an emulator expert per ay, but I do try and follow Snes emulation on portable systems. And when I see an emulator like SnezziDS playing all games at 100% speed (give or take some) and see that video, makes me think why isn't it full speed?

The DS only has the arm7 and arm9 and I believe thats no where near close to 2 200mhz chips that the GP2X has...but yeah snezziDS also doesnt have the great graphics or music this emulator has.

Well anyway Thank You all for the help. Ill rethink on purchasing this product.

If anyone has anything that might help me, tip the scales in the GP2X's, favor please do so :)

EDIT: If anyone is kind enough to show me how well chrono trigger plays on the GP2X, I would aprreciate it A LOT! I have been searching for hours on how well the emulator works for GP2X and get many different views of it.

If someone could post, show pics, show video, or anything to tell me hands on how it works I wouls be very happy. (I have to go to work soon so I wont be able to reply if anyone posts)

I also ask since I saw that there were a couple of new versions of the Snes emulator Squide? i believe. 1 was about 1 month ago and the other was released just a couple of days ago. Your input is much appreciated.

Thank you

MagusZ posted on Jul 19 2006 at 02:58 PM said:
Thank you for your responds, especially Tobrian for the answering the bricking question very well :)
Too bad to hear the Snes emulation stuff, Im not an emulator expert per ay, but I do try and follow Snes emulation on portable systems. And when I see an emulator like SnezziDS playing all games at 100% speed (give or take some) and see that video, makes me think why isn't it full speed?

The DS only has the arm7 and arm9 and I believe thats no where near close to 2 200mhz chips that the GP2X has...but yeah snezziDS also doesnt have the great graphics or music this emulator has.

Thank you

Well the DS has other issues like the main fact that the screen is only 256 x 192. This is too low for most systems to be displayed properly resulting in cut out pixels. That makes stuff look ugly.

I think that DS emu was also written from scratch in ASM, while the GP2X one is a patched up port of a GP32 port of a PC port. Not too efficient really. If it was written from scratch from the ground up it would be better than SnezziDS. Will that happen? Who knows.

The only handheld that can run SNES near perfect right now is the PSP honestly.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Jul 19 2006 at 01:18 PM said:
MagusZ posted on Jul 19 2006 at 02:58 PM said:

Thank you

Well the DS has other issues like the main fact that the screen is only 256 x 192. This is too low for most systems to be displayed properly resulting in cut out pixels. That makes stuff look ugly.

I think that DS emu was also written from scratch in ASM, while the GP2X one is a patched up port of a GP32 port of a PC port. Not too efficient really. If it was written from scratch from the ground up it would be better than SnezziDS. Will that happen? Who knows.

The only handheld that can run SNES near perfect right now is the PSP honestly.

I understand, so i guess this would be my next question. Why not builld an SNES emulator from scratch?

I would like to let everyone know here im not trying to be a jerk, be annoying, be anything these are just questions and thats all they are. I don't mean to offend anyone or be insulting, so please just take anything I ask as a simple question.

And as for the PSP, yeah, I thought of getting one. The fact that its almost the same price as the GP2X helps it quite a bit. But the fact that it sucks when it comes to having to have V1.5 or you get nothing sucks. Thats why im looking at GP2X much more in favor, OH and that stupid memory format the PSP uses as well sucks.

Thanks for the reply :)

MagusZ posted on Jul 19 2006 at 05:37 PM said:
I understand, so i guess this would be my next question. Why not builld an SNES emulator from scratch?

And as for the PSP, yeah, I thought of getting one. The fact that its almost the same price as the GP2X helps it quite a bit. But the fact that it sucks when it comes to having to have V1.5 or you get nothing sucks. Thats why im looking at GP2X much more in favor, OH and that stupid memory format the PSP uses as well sucks.

Thanks for the reply :)

Writing a SNES emu from scratch would be alot of work. It would take months of coding and there aren't that many that can devote that much time to it.

nubie posted on Jul 19 2006 at 01:27 AM said:
$10 cheaper than whom? gp32z.com and gp2x.co.uk are both $190, Play-Asia is $20 dollars cheaper. Maybe $10 cheaper than Lik-Sang.
Well, what I've tried to say was exactly that =)
Play-asia = 10 USD cheaper than Lik-Sang, which is 10 USD cheaper than gp32z and so on...
Also they do accept credit card, that's very nice B)
mine took almost 3 weeks to get over here..
nubie posted on Jul 19 2006 at 01:27 AM said:
No, the NAND mounted in the menu is a completely different partition than the OS, it is completely safe to delete the whole thing if you want.

It really doesn't look like linux at all, just a custom menu and some simple apps, don't worry about it. If you have ever got a PC emulator to run you should be fine dragging and dropping to get anything on the GP2X to run. Just read the Readme files.
You're absolutely right!

I forgot that NAND-user-space is separated from the system itself (and they take care by not helping you to browse easily into root filesystem unless you know what/how you're doing), but anyway you can still delete important files by using telnet into gp2x (which I do most of the time)

Ok...im really falling into the "I have to get this thing now!" thinking. But as a last issue I have read on (yes I do my own research but i like word of mouth much better than reviews and such) was the power issue.

Forget the use of normal batteries, apparetly, but I would like to know what the battery length is with good rechargable batteries, say 2000 to 2700mAh what is the battery length?

Is it better than the PSP's battery length? Gamegear? DS? well maybe not the last one lol but I would like to know about how many hours you (GP2X users) get from what type of batteries. I'm looking into the 4~6 hours length to be happy. Hope thats not too bad :)

Also no one ever told me what the Snes emulators are like (first hand)? mainly Chrono trigger.

Thank you

Don't expect fullspeed in all SNES games, but most do work. Except the games with special chips/compression (but Mario Kart strangely works fine). I have played Chrono Trigger just fine, you might have to disable layers by holding both volume buttons and pressing one of the keys to remove the offending layer but it works...

I get 5 hours on my 2700 mAh batteries.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aC3bZxwBGgo&search=gp2x%20ds

Here's a comparison just for you of SNES emulation...

Ok before i go off to work again, I would like to ask questions about ordering :)

First off I tried both gp32z and play-asia, to comapre price.

this is what i want to get:

-GP2X
-power cord
-TV-out

Well it seems play-asia is more expensive by $2 (due to shipping GP32z has free fed-ex ground shipping)

But on play-asia the powerd cord description is "Comes with euro connector" now I live in the USA so that doesn't help and GP32z says "Euro and USA connectors"

So are these two different or did play-asia just forget to say usa included?

Another problem is I read the gp32z tearms and conditions and it seems everything they sell is "as is" meaning no returning what-so-ever?

Another issue with gp32z is that there site doesn't seem, shall i say, professional. So im leaning towards play-asia, if anyone bought from gp32z can i heard your stories from it?

I guess that's it I'll probably get this product but some input on these websites would help :)

Also some more input on the snes emulation scene and battery lenght would be nice :)

I bought mine from GP32z.com, and I got it obviously ;). Every store has a 1 year warranty, and you can return it for a replacement. Just buy it from GP32Z.com, you'll be fine....

Besides, that site is run by only 1 man if I recall correctly. A lot of the "official" shops are not "professional looking" either, look at http://gp2x.co.uk, http://gp2x.de, etc.

OK I FINALLY bought it :)

Also Shikaku you'll be happy to know I got the GP2X from gp32z :)

Any way I also got an SD card from newegg, but I have one final problem, sorry :(

I have been looking through the site you gave me Shikaku for the batteries and honestly i'm lost with all the battery and charging lingo they use on that site. Can someone please help me find a good charger and pair of batteries?

I really have no clue what all those chargers and batteries have in difference to each other (besides the more mAh the more battery lenght) So can someone please tell me what a good 2500mAh-2700mAh batteries and charger would be good to get?

Your help would be much appreciated!! Obiously I listen and appreciate it or I would have never gotten this product :) Thank you all for your help!

Back