Brief Answers to the Big (Pyra) Questions

Discussion in 'Support Area' started by matzesu, Dec 5, 2018.

1. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Ah yeah, that is somewhat akin to the SATA data lines inside my PC come to think of it. I guess that is actually a full size SATA data port then. You could buy a cheap PC PSU and run it outside of a case, just feeding the SATA power lines to the drive you have connected.

I can't find a USB to SATA power adaptor that just uses the USB 5V lines, so I guess using a PSU would be the most practical way to do it. And even then, I've not found any of my 3.5" drives actually spin up on USB 5V/2A power alone but with a 60W PSU and up, that shouldn't be a problem. Just avoid feeding any paperclips into the ventilation holes and you'll be fine.

2. Kolbász

Kolbász Fan

Yes, 3.5" drives need 12V. I think the most practical way of using such drive would be to use something like this:
    Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/eSATA-Drive-Docking-Station-3-5in/dp/B00KILQOG0
    with a cable like this:
    Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-eSATA-Transition-P952-003/dp/B00119P6SU
    If you want to have it somewhat portable with a 5V-only 2.5" drive, you could try to make a cable like this: [https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/attachments/satausb-jpg.30835/]. I have made this one, only basic soldering skills are needed.

edited: stupid amazon links...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  3. Letalis Sonus

Letalis Sonus Advanced Member

Depends on the drive, several still only use 5V. Just like some old 2.5" drives won't work without 3.3V being available.

4. Kolbász

Kolbász Fan

I didn't know that 5V-only 3,5" SATA hard drives exist. I have searched the internet for such a drive several times in the past, with no luck finding one. Could you please show me one?

5. Letalis Sonus

I checked that before posting, but I can't find that datasheet I spotted again - gotta check my browser history when I'm back on my desktop PC.

6. Alphasys

Alphasys Still Fresh

Thanks levi and others.

So there's a possibility, but no "off the shelf" solution so far. I suppose
    I'll have to stick to external drives with USB 2.0 interface to keep things
    relatively clean for now. The interface is a nice idea though and I'm
    thinking of making a sort of docking station with it in the future, once
    this is all fleshed out and readily available. For now I'll settle with "mobile
    speeds" for my storage.

7. TrashyMG

TrashyMG Sarcasm Dispenser Staff Member

Well Sandisk and maybe a few others made an USB 3.0 OTG thumbdrives that may work, but I assume with USB-C coming in fairly shortly after those are getting rare to find.

8. Letalis Sonus

Okay, I misread that datasheet - for some reason WD decided that it was a good idea to use a single datasheet for both their desktop and mobile Red HDDs... I wouldn't be surprised if someone made some OEM 5V HDDs specially for external drives, though.

9. Kolbász

Kolbász Fan

That's a pity, I have really hoped that I can finally get a 5V-only 3.5" hard drive. Anyway, thanks for checking that datasheet.

10. ryan27968

ryan27968 Member

Anecdotally, I've definitely seen one or two 3.5mm drives in my time as a technician that run off USB alone but I couldn't tell you which ones they were and they were pretty rare.