Brief Answers to the Big (Pyra) Questions

Ok, Guitarix is now installed, and i made a quick test run (Whitout Guitar), at least its load the GUI, but i get some Errors because it cant connect to the Jack Server?
Its also got an Option where you dotnt need jack..
If you need to install Jack, I suggest you also install qjackctl to get a GUI for jack. I'm curious to see if you can get this to work, I use jack along with FluidSynth (anf Qsynth for the GUI) to generate MIDI sounds using my MIDI hurdy-gurdy, I'd love to use the Pyra as the sound generator for it (I mean when I get my Pyra, which will take quite some time I guess, as I am around 1000) !

jack is "better" for lower latency stuff, but you can try it without and see if you notice anything off

Some spezial Instruments, like Hurdy Gurdy, or a Backpipe, on the Midi of the Pyra, this might be cool....

I got once the need to buy a special instrument: This was my Acustic Bass Guitar, but now i stick whit the normal Guitar..

I dont know how much time i get this evening, at least i want to test out if this works whit the Pyra, and Video maybe tomorow..

Some Year ago, i played a bit whit the Guitar Intervace on the Iphone, and its Screen was much too small, so i had a small need for an Macbook because i though these Musik Maker Programms might work best whit them, but then i never bought one,

Now my Plan is to get used to the Pyra as my Main Computer..

Ok i even used alsa Mixer but nothing happened,
I Changed the record device to the irig hd2 , but when I opened up the Jack, and clicked on connection, it didn’t found anything.. Also it got some server connections error,
I wonder what’s wrong..
But it’s should be the same as on a normal Linux, so maybe someone used jack and guitarix and could explain how to setup?

in a terminal type lsusb
that should list all USB devices and your guitar rig interface should show up. you will probably need qjackctl to do the virtual connections from your guitar interface to guitarix. gpsqueeek knows more than i do so best listen to him. im not having luck getting fluidsynth to work on a rasp pi zero w

i havent done it for a while but i did get it to work on an old ACER netbook with an ATOM processor running MINT....

I use the fluidsynth/jack pair (and their GUIs) on a Raspberry Pi 4 too, both in the older version available using the official RPi OS, or a more up-to-date manjaro OS. Sometimes the configuration is a pain though, I have to make sure PulseAudio does not interfere (on my PC at least) for example

most of the tutorials on youtube are from 2017 era. i had to get an old jessie version to run on the pi zero w . i have the usb audio working, i have a few sound fonts to test. just need a few floppy disks to use in the Roland Sound Brush.
also set up a script to run fluid synth at startup and headless. basically i want fluidsynth to accept the midi in and play the soundfont... how hard can that be ??? lol

When i want to put my Pyra on the HDMI TV, what do i have to do? Cable Adapter HDMI to Mini HDMI is allready at home, Pyra is also there..

I know in Windows 10, there is this "Screen Mirror" Option on this Multi Menue in the Start Bar, where you can tell the Device how it have to send out its Video Signal,
And the Pandora have also its own Menue for TV Out..

So do i have just to put my Pyra on the TV, and deactivate Tiler via Terminal?

Or is Video Out still not inplemented?

I'm not sure. I think it's not implemented yet, but if it is, or when everything be finally sorted out, it should be, once cable connected, going into Mate menu Sytem, Preferences, Hardware, Screens, and configure in that dialog what you need.
But it's maybe too soon, and I'm not aware of the situation for the Pyra.

HDMI output is in a long list of things that need to be properly fixed. In the past when dealing with the devboard to disable rotation it had to be done via an option in the boot configuration, I was told there should be some kind of userspace method to do it, but was given no information on what that would be.

I have a new issue: my Pyra SD Cards go to Write Protection Mode since today, when I want to make some order in the romfile,
I had this issue before whit a Ubuntu Notebook,
Is there an easy fix? It’s my Pyra Rom Card..
Im try now to copy my Roms over to the Pyra 2 Card, at least they for the allready existing Emulators, so 40 gig PlayStation, and then also Gameboy and DS and N64..

Ok, assuming it's not the switch in the SD card itself, you might want to do a backup and fsck ?

Reactions: rSl
I just plugged the Pyra to my TV and bootet up, then there where a huge wall of text whyle it booted but it stopped then somewhere whit a | to type in something..
is it possible to use HDMI this way and what do I have to type in to make it happen?

Or should I just wait until there is a proper ui for TV Out like on the Pandora? And will there be a option for more than one screen?
I have on my Computer at Work 2 Screens, so i could have Open Thunderbird one on and our Business Software on the other..
would be cool to have this also at home , but my second screen is just VGA Plug, ..

I just plugged the Pyra to my TV and bootet up, then there where a huge wall of text whyle it booted but it stopped then somewhere whit a | to type in something..
is it possible to use HDMI this way and what do I have to type in to make it happen?

Or should I just wait until there is a proper ui for TV Out like on the Pandora? And will there be a option for more than one screen?
I have on my Computer at Work 2 Screens, so i could have Open Thunderbird one on and our Business Software on the other..
would be cool to have this also at home , but my second screen is just VGA Plug, ..

How would you connect the second external display? I've not heard of being able to drive two separate video signals down a single HDMI cable - though I suppose it might be possible with some trickery. There are USB devices you can use as external video cards, but I think you'd struggle for bandwidth.

More straightforwardly, I'm fairly sure the current issue is waiting for some software work - so that the internal display gets rotated, but the external one doesn't. With the various combinations of X-windowing, OpenGL, screen mirroring, continuous desktops and such, there are lots of opportunities to get tangled-up!

Ok, so i have to wait a bit, at least i know now that my Cable Works..

Another Question: Is there a place for a Readme Type Manual in the DBP System? Whyle some Emulators like PCSXreamed are easy to understand because they have some sort of a GUI, others dont have a GUI yet like mGBA but Button Combinations for Savestates..
I read the Page on the DBP Repo who the correct combinations where said, but somethimes you dont remember and push shift fn F1 instead of fn F1 so you could overwrite the Savestate per exidents..

The other solution might be for me to have a big txt file where i write a short manual for each emulator or the important buttons..

I wanted to make me a System of TXT Files anyway for the important things like Linux Commands, and lots of other things..

I remeber PNDs had a documentation link inside their PXML but it was a bit of a mess because every man and his dog called their help text README or something, and they were just presented in a straight list with no context other than the file name, so you ended up with a list of files called README with no indication which were which. It wouldn't surprise me therefore that such functionality didn't make it to the DBP format, and indeed reading the docs I can't see any reference to documentation of any name I can think of. A builder could add a desktop file defining a ReadMe, but I'd be surprised. Perhaps the best thing to do is to create your own shortcuts file that you write yourself once you've determined what keys do what. Maybe you could post it to the appropriate thread and thus we could all benefit from it.

Why not have the readme be automatically labeled with the name of the DBP it goes with? That way people wouldn't be able to do that.

Reactions: rSl
Well if I could make a thread where the community and i gather useful Pyra commands , like savestate keys for the existing games, useful terminal stuff, and other things..

Let’s call it tips and tricks or something ^^
No file instead just text so you can grap and copy it to your own readme file ..
this way you have the Joice over your File Type : TXT , doc, odg, xls jpeg , pdf, everything

That would be one way to do it. Meanwhile what actually seems to have happened is there's no predefined way to include documentation although presumably you could always include a second .desktop file. It would be good to insist that developers include the name of their app in the documentation link, and it may well be a good thing if developers are encouraged to include documentation in a secondary .desktop file.
Post automatically merged:

Well if I could make a thread where the community and i gather useful Pyra commands , like savestate keys for the existing games, useful terminal stuff, and other things..

Let’s call it tips and tricks or something ^^
No file instead just text so you can grap and copy it to your own readme file ..
this way you have the Joice over your File Type : TXT , doc, odg, xls jpeg , pdf, everything
This thread looks like a good place for general desktop shortcuts, although perhaps for competing DE's they have their own thread. Meanwhile most things published for the Pyra will have their own thread here, and I'm sure it wouldn't be off-topic to put those hints in there.

Back