Bringing Patchworked Os Together?

We're busy ;) djw on images, notaz on kernel, cpas on launcher, me on pnd. Currently e17.. Mb too flaky currently. Typing on phone with cranky 2 yr old sleeping her urrrrrrgh :)

what details you need?

Jeff

skeezix said:
We're busy ;) djw on images, notaz on kernel, cpas on launcher, me on pnd. Currently e17.. Mb too flaky currently. Typing on phone with cranky 2 yr old sleeping her urrrrrrgh :)

what details you need?

Jeff

Interesting!

Well, I just really like reading technical details on the development side of things, status updates on things here and there and how it's all going to work when we flip the on switch for the first time. :) So we're to expect E17 alongside cpas's launcher? How is that going to work exactly? We launch cpas's gui launcher from within E17, or so? Will this be the only way to launch the PND files? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
E17 is not ideal but is pretty stable. We had found stability problems in MB (sadly) and xfce would need a lot of work, among other candidates. So rather than keep farting around I'm an advocate for including E17 (a lot of distro stuff can be sorted out after the fact.. people can install whatever they like :) -- so we are almost certainly including E17 and cpasjuste's launcher, though we've not nailed down who is defalut just yet. ie: cpas built a little tool to switch which is the default environment, so we can really boot with either and then flip to the other pretty easily. (ie: cpas' launcher is really for a 'single task' "style" of operation, eith E17 being the 'hefty' fuller environment when you run any old thing.

I really should check-in some changes to libpnd and some updates from vimacs on our scripts that run all this stuff, hmm. We're getting close folks :)

jeff

@skeezix are you guys making the theme bigger so it works better on a small screen?

Kloplop321 said:
If we are using E17, I am guessing that "stuff" from http://www.e17-stuff.org/ will be compatible with the pandora on release?
well the apps would have to be recompiled...

a port of enna would be extremely nice http://enna.geexbox.org/ as a package of course

I'm not 100% sure how functional it is but it seem pretty good from the videos of it

Close is good. I'd have thought the simpler, single-app launcher would be the most obvious for default? I mean, those in the know can change the default to a proper/fuller desktop fairly easily. Those who are mor elikely to want/need the simpler interface are less liekely to be able to perform the change?

@cb88: I am mainly mean about the themes and the like, those usually are just configuration files and images

monk -- it is easily switchable; I think we're aiming for cpas' launcher for default, but its sort of up in the air I'm sure. We'll let ED decide, but its no biggy :) Depends how folks think of its look and feel and stability .. do people like simple and functional right off, or want to get hit with the fancy (and the target audience is not just gp32x .. big review sites will surely catch units and the need to be impressed, too, etc.)

There is some small theming bits (panda icons and such), but I doubt we'll have a lot of theme changes (or if you have time, feel free to work on it.) If you recall way back, there was our lad who was working hard on matchbox and doing a lot of theme work etc, but he just up and vanished one day (I really wonder what happened myself!), and I doubt any of us has spent much time since, beyond nice backgrounds and artwork for startup screens etc.

E17 looks _sharp_ on the high density screen; the LCD is sharp and fast and bright, so stuff tends to look _gorgeous_ on it.

jeff

How are we going to run our own distros from SD?
Will it be easy to switch to - let's say - Ubuntu ARM on my SD Card from cpasjuste's laucher too?

skeezix said:
There is some small theming bits (panda icons and such), but I doubt we'll have a lot of theme changes (or if you have time, feel free to work on it.) If you recall way back, there was our lad who was working hard on matchbox and doing a lot of theme work etc, but he just up and vanished one day (I really wonder what happened myself!), and I doubt any of us has spent much time since, beyond nice backgrounds and artwork for startup screens etc.

Sadly, even if I ignore everything else I have to admit that I have some hospital time coming up myself.

I DO keep wondering who's doing all the sexy "pinup girlie" wallpaper for Pandora, and thinking of giving it a go, but time keeps slipping away :(

Just wanted to throw the fact out there that you can configure E17 to use various - what should I call them... Layout managers? kinda? - which rearrange the window manager so that it becomes more touchscreen friendly. The current Pandora image seems to be using the default desktop layout for E17; it might be worth trying out something else.

A dev behind E17 is a member of this board IIRC; it might be worth it to hunt him down.

Near-kun -- switching between cpas' launcher and E17 is not a distro switch; window managers and such are just programs.. so we do we boot a full X11 with desktop environment, or just run cpas' launcher. Its simple a config entry for a script.

However, yes, its that easy to run a distro; for dev, we're all just booting distros off SD, not from nvram. Most of us boot a kernel off SD1, and put a distro on SD2, so we can switch distros easily. ie: I use one of notaz's little mini distros for most screwing aorund .. its like a 20k distro with no tools in it hardly, but boots to a shell; likewise, we've got our angstrom build, plus a full ubuntu, plus you can roll others. Its easy :)

Switch SD and boot, or let it go to nvram.

jeff

skeezix said:

Would that happen to be the same lad that made this matchbox theme? http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/45677-pandora-desktop-environment-prototype-try-2-screenshots-and-videos/page__view__findpost__p__684218

In that case, I'm still open to working on it if needed, although I did finish the basic folder and various icon extensions :p Should be easy to 'port' over to E17's system.

It would be cool if some one could set up resources to make it easy to work on all this stuff from pc. A single prepacked image with Qemu that doesn't require hours of set up would really help. e17 is a pain to compile even with a script.

I remember that, MDave, it looked great! Perhaps you can use some of that with E17, I'd love to have it on my Panda. ^_^

MDave said:
skeezix said:

Would that happen to be the same lad that made this matchbox theme? http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/45677-pandora-desktop-environment-prototype-try-2-screenshots-and-videos/page__view__findpost__p__684218

In that case, I'm still open to working on it if needed, although I did finish the basic folder and various icon extensions :p Should be easy to 'port' over to E17's system.

Just quoting my post again just incase skeezix misses it at the bottom of the previous page (hate it when that happens!)

Thanks Tensuke, I'll see if I can get E17 setup in virtual box, though what would be the easiest way of doing that, and with which distribution? :p

Back