Broken Gp2x

garykerr06

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hello,
I posted a while back regarding my broken GP2X. The details are on this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=42952

I contacted EvilDragon, who unfortunately is unable to repair an F200. I left it for a few weeks, but now i want to come to a decision. I have a few questions:

1. Is this damage possibly repairable?
2. Is the potentially broken part available?
3. Can anyone on here fix it?

If all these are a no, does anyone want to buy it for parts? It's in great condition, hardly used (saddening).
I'll also chuck in a 4GB SDHC card packed to the brim with working emulators, including Metal Slug 4 and 5 which took me hours to get working on gngeo. Plus, i have all the Marvel Vs Capcom games working on FBAX.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darth Gazak said:
I contacted EvilDragon, who unfortunately is unable to repair an F200.

What do you mean with this remark? Did you actually send your F200 to EvilDragon so he could have a look at it? Or did you just ask him and got the reply that he didn't have the right tools?

1. Is this damage possibly repairable?
2. Is the potentially broken part available?
3. Can anyone on here fix it?

The most probable cause for your F200's death is that you fried the power regulator chip and maybe a fuse or fusable resistor. The MAX1566 should be easy to get, possibly even as a free sample from Maxim. But for replacing the chip, you need hot-air soldering equipment. The LTC from the F100 is much easier to replace with only 8 pins on it. But the MAX seems to be reverse-polarity resistant (I read the warning about reversing the polarity only after connecting the power supply but the F200 didn't blow and still works on batteries and external power :D).

So to answer your questions:
  1. It's always repairable considering you have the right tools and parts. In your case, it all seems pretty clear and set, so I see no problems
  2. If only the MAX and possibly a fuse have been fried, the parts are easily available
  3. I have the tools so I could fix it for you. But be prepared that it might take some weeks to get the parts. If you prefer to sell it over repairing it, I'm interested too.
BTW. I hope the email address you mentioned is not your main mail address. It's never smart to leave a mail address on a public board like this, because spammers are constantly scanning public places for email addresses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for your prompt reply Squirrel.
I sent EvilDragon an email and he told me he didn't know how to fix an F200, as it was different to an F100 in the power department, and he was unable to assist me.

I would much rather have the GP2X repaired than to sell it for parts; i spent a lot of money on this machine and had only scratched the surface when this catastrophe occured. Plus, i have spent hours collecting and configuring software on my SD card.

I would gladly pay for the required parts and also offer a fee for your services, if you are able to repair my machine. Time is irrelevant; you can take as long as necessary to repair it.
Where are you located, Squirrel?

If the cost of repair skyrockets, i would consider selling it for parts, but then i would be making a huge loss.
I just want my GP2X back :(

Thank you,
Darth Gazak

(Thanks for the email advice. I removed it. If anyone wants to contact me privately, just send me a PM)

I'm located in the Netherlands, I will send more details by PM (also because of the spambots).

If the fault is just the regulator, I must be able to repair it. If it's something else, it depends on how complex the mainboard is. But costs won't be skyhigh. I'm thinking of ordering the regulator as a sample, since that seems the easiest way to get it in quantities below 100+ :D So it's just the time I have to put in it and since I consider it a learning process, it will be mutually positive for us.

The voltage converter is not a MAX1566, but an LTC3426ES6. It's way easier to replace than the MAX, having just 6 pins opposed to 40 (and opposed to the 10 pins of the LTSK/LTC3204).

The MAX chip was mentioned by someone else in another thread, but that's a chip dedicated to the power supply of digital camera's and thus far more complex. You won't find one in the F200.

Back