Browser Performance On Pandora

Kekerot

Still Fresh
How good will the browser performance be?

CODE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8YNkZ4pfYA

Check out this video, its an 800mhz intel MID running directly off of its 512mb of memory to speed it up. Can we do something similar with Pandora?

'Exophase' said:
How else would you run it if not "directly off of its memory"?
I mean like a ramdisk so it doesn't have to write to flash memory.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Kekerot' said:
'Exophase' said:
How else would you run it if not "directly off of its memory"?
I mean like a ramdisk so it doesn't have to write to flash memory.

Creating a ramfs in Linux is very doable, and I'm sure you can configure whatever browser to put its files there.

'lulzfish' said:
The browser will be configured to not write to flash at all anyway, so there's not really an issue here.
Oh alright cool, I have only seen one video of the browser in action in an evildragon video but it only showed him using this forum. I hope it handles graphic intense pages adequately.

Well, I'm guessing. but it would be VERY strange for the devs to ship a browser that wrote to flash any more than it needed to.

Probably the browser itself, the pages, and a small cache will all be in memory. The only stuff in flash might be passwords and history and that sort of thing.

I hate to even use the F-word, but as I am sure some are curious, does anyone know yet if it will support Flash out of the box (the plug-in, not memory), or are we going to have to wait a while for that one?

Well, I don't think Adobe has an ARM / Linux / Firefox plugin going yet, so if there's any Flash support, it will probably be something like Gnash or a VLC plugin for Flash video. An official one might be coming soon from Adobe, since there's a number of ARM cell phones and the like who want in on Flash.

:angry: I'm still just waiting for it to *other f-word* DIE. DIE FLASH DIE.

swfdec or gnash is already available for flash support on browser like firefox.

'Yod4z' said:
Are ARM versions available?

Just copy the proper .so file from a Nokia Internet Tablet or Archos with proper flash support and voilà (the files can't be distributed though, so you have to do it yourself).

'Etinin' said:
Just copy the proper .so file from a Nokia Internet Tablet or Archos with proper flash support and voilà (the files can't be distributed though, so you have to do it yourself).
Yes and see the whole thing crash :p

'Yod4z' said:
Last I checked both those sucked pretty hard. No particular offense to the developers, but they just aren't an adequate answer to flash unavailability at this point. I think that gnash could handle youtube and not much else.

But OTOH, adobe doesn't seem to care about releasing 64 bit compatible versions or versions for anything other than Win, Mac and Linux. With the latter not being taken the least bit seriously.

If only developers wouldn't be so damned lazy and leave out the flash from sites, I could just forget about the *f-wording* *F-wordy* *Other F-word*.

CODE
http://i39.tinypic.com/s2dvh5.jpg

Nnnng, gimme the flash, you flashers flasher. You flasher!

'hedwards' said:
Last I checked both those sucked pretty hard. No particular offense to the developers, but they just aren't an adequate answer to flash unavailability at this point. I think that gnash could handle youtube and not much else.
This topic reminded me to see if there was a update for swfdec. So, going from 0.64 -> 0.82, there is a improvement on the decoding speed ( you tube, at leased it does not choke anymore ), and some most off the compatibility for you tube has been added.

But, all the other flash content that i know off = not usable. All the other flash ( thats about everything ) still has the exact same problems ( controls not working, no streaming, no image showing etc ).

But, lets say that the CPU usage is one off the big problems.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-mOxhQwr6Q

Xorg: 80% Cpu usage.
Firefox-bin: 25% Cpu usage.

And this is on a quad core 2.5Ghz. In other words, it using close to 2.6Ghz. So, forget about pulling that off on the Pandora, unless some strange magic can be used, and the DSP offloads most off the work ( not going to happen ).

I still resort for a lot off flash media to my virtual box with windows + adobe. Now the swfdec reached a point that can be considered usable for youtube movies, but thats it.

The last time I tried swfdec (0.8?) it worked perfectly for all the video websites I threw at it.

If all else fails, a small greasemonkey script can rewrite most embedded flash videos to use the native video plugin (vlc, mplayer, gstreamer).

Back