Browser Performance On Pandora

Flash videos are one thing. General flash stuff is very hit and miss. Mainly miss.

Adobe would be smart at this point to simply release the source to their player. They've already opened the spec and dropped player licensing restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
'WizardStan' said:
Adobe would be smart at this point to simply release the source to their player. They've already opened the spec and dropped player licensing restrictions.
Yupp, they did this a while ago. But somehow I haven't spotted results of this action yet. Where are all the super-fast and super compatible user-made flash plugins where you can play nearly every Flash Game even onto a small ARM Linux Handheld? Come on guys out there, I'm still waiting for this.... \^_\^

'fusion_power' said:
Where are all the super-fast and super compatible user-made flash plugins where you can play nearly every Flash Game even onto a small ARM Linux Handheld? Come on guys out there, I'm still waiting for this.... \^_\^
The problem was (and still is) that the released specs were already known well enough. Having them released was just confirmation that they're correct.

They did say that they would bring flash to ARM devices though. It also seems that they are making it for the Android platform (which I think you could run on a Pandora).

'sindbad' said:
'fusion_power' said:
Where are all the super-fast and super compatible user-made flash plugins where you can play nearly every Flash Game even onto a small ARM Linux Handheld? Come on guys out there, I'm still waiting for this.... \^_\^
The problem was (and still is) that the released specs were already known well enough. Having them released was just confirmation that they're correct.

OK. Sounds a little bit like nobody want or nobody can do a better Flash plugin. Is Flash that complicated to code/optimize?

'fusion_power' said:
'sindbad' said:
'fusion_power' said:

OK. Sounds a little bit like nobody want or nobody can do a better Flash plugin. Is Flash that complicated to code/optimize?
Maybe... the problem is, that Adobe Flash is closed source and you have to code ist completly new. Did you ever hear something about ReactOS? That's the same. They have no Windows source code and have to develop "on good luck and testing". With this kind of developing you will never get a 100% compatible Flash plugin.

As already mentioned above, Adobe has already thrown their support to ARM and the coming wave of ARM netbooks. I would say it doesn't look as bleak as some may make it sound, though we will be on Adobe's timeframe, which will most likely be linked to the biggest player in the ARM netbook market's timeframe. Still better than Adobe's timeframe alone, though.

Back