Bt Internet Upgrading Users To 2mb

Steve-O

Just read in the News Paper that BT is upgrading people on there 512kb Broadband to 2mb for FREE and NO extra costs.

lucky gits

Watch out for ridiculous total bandwidth limits, though. Doesn't BT have one? I doubt they increased that as well.

Rico posted on Feb 11 2005 at 03:54 PM said:
Watch out for ridiculous total bandwidth limits, though. Doesn't BT have one? I doubt they increased that as well.

damn - 15GB monthly usage allowance

But 15gb a month is still quite alot

plus u get a free modem router when u buy online

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve-O posted on Feb 11 2005 at 03:42 PM said:
Just read in the News Paper that BT is upgrading people on there 512kb Broadband to 2mb for FREE and NO extra costs.

lucky gits
W00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000TTTTTTTTTTT!!!!! I'm with bt!

Steve-O posted on Feb 11 2005 at 04:57 PM said:

damn - 15GB monthly usage allowance

But 15gb a month is still quite alot

plus u get a free modem router when u buy online
no. I only downloda legal stuff and would probably use that in a week. Especially with a 2 megabit connection. and with xbox live and all.

Here is the report:
Q1. 1. What are the product changes that BT is making? Back to top

BT is increasing the standard speed of all of its BT Broadband and BT Yahoo! Broadband packages, at no additional cost to our customers. This will be for both new and existing customers

The aim of these changes is to give all of our BT Broadband and BT Yahoo! Broadband customers 2Mb broadband as standard (or the best speed available that their line will support), allowing them to have an even faster connection speed.

For BT Broadband Basic customers we will be increasing the speed of their broadband to 1Mb as standard (or the best speed available that their line will support).

Q2. When will this happen? Back to top

BT Broadband and BT Yahoo! Broadband will be available as 2Mb packages from 17th February 2005. From this date we will start upgrading all of our existing customers to 2Mb (or the best speed available that their line will support).

BT Broadband Basic will be available as a 1Mb package from 24th March 2005 and we will start upgrading all of our BT Broadband Basic customers from mid-March.

Q3. How long will it take to upgrade all existing customers' lines? Back to top

The process to upgrade all existing customers will take around 5 months in total. This is a major programme of network improvement and so unfortunately it can't happen over night, however we will endeavour to complete the upgrades as quickly as possible.

Q4. Will it cost me more to be upgraded to the faster speed? Back to top

No, there is no change to our standard prices for broadband and there is no charge for existing customers to be upgraded.

Q5. How will I know when I am going to be upgraded? Back to top

We will be writing to all of our customers to inform them of when they will l have their line upgraded.

Q6. Can I request a date for my upgrade? Back to top

Unfortunately it is not possible for us to offer customers a choice of when their upgrade will take place.

Q7. Why is BT increasing the speed of its broadband products? Back to top

This will give customers the best ever value broadband, from a name they can trust.

These changes are part of BT's wider commitment to bring super-fast broadband to as large an audience as possible, bringing even better broadband technology to more UK consumers.

Q8. Why are you doing this now? Back to top

The internet has developed considerably and people are now using it for more than just surfing the web and checking email - more and more content and applications which utilise broadband are becoming available.

Because of this, BT believes that 2Mb should be the minimum broadband speed, giving consumers the full benefit of today's internet.

Q9. Why are you doing this in so many stages? Back to top

It's important to ensure that customers have the best migration experience possible. To this end, we have built a staged process, which allows the new portfolio of products to be introduced as seamlessly as possible.

Q10. Will everyone be able to get 2Mb? Back to top

The majority of customers will be able to get 2Mb. However there will be some customers who are too far from the exchange or whose line quality is not good enough to support 2Mb. For these customers we will provide the fastest possible speed - this will be either 1Mb or 512Kb.

Q11. How will I know if my line will support 2Mb? Back to top

If you are an existing customer we will let you know the best speed your line will support when we write to you to tell when your upgrade is due to take place. If you are a new customer ordering broadband you will told before your order is placed.

Q12. Will this cause any disruption to my service? Back to top

For the majority of customers the migration will be a seamless experience although there will be a short period of downtime of no more than 30 minutes on the actual day that we upgrade your line.

Q13. Is it compulsory to upgrade? Back to top

All customers will be given the best speed their line will support.

Anyways, It's not easy to download 15gb, we don't use anything like that

Go go unlimited BT Business plan. I've also heard that some people who have complained got uncappped.

Cool, but I have BT 1mb connection, which comes with a 30gb transfer limit. I hope they don't drop it to 15gb if they upgrade me.

I wonder if this service will filter through to the other broadband companies once set up to keep them competitive? Not that it will affect me much. I'm too far from the exchange so I'm stuck with 576Kbps the best I can hope for is 1mb.

Radio posted on Feb 11 2005 at 04:25 PM said:
I'm stuck with 576Kbps the best I can hope for is 1mb.

Its actaully 512kb.. its just win xp says its 576kbps for some reason

Almost all bandwidth limits are useless, you can use 7gb+ just being connected.
There's an online calculator somewhere that does the math. You'll be shocked.

Apeiron posted on Feb 11 2005 at 06:09 PM said:

I'm not doubting you, but how does this work? My firewall comes with a monitor and I'm rarely sending/recieving more than a few bytes per second when inactive.

Also, great news about the 2Mb thing. Can't see me using more than 15Gb a month.

I read in a simular thread on another forum that NTL were doing something simular again, but have stuck a 1GB a day cap on. That's not that bad, but I like to feel free to do whatever I want without fear of getting charged extra for the privilage.

It won't really affect me, it's just knowing that it's there.

Apeiron posted on Feb 11 2005 at 06:09 PM said:

????? While I type this im using -

0 Bytes Download
0 Bytes Upload

?? I dont think you can use 7gb by just being connected some how :p

SWEEET

if you already have no limit (I DONT W00T) they cannot enforce one on u coz thats illegal

apparantly they are keeping our package the same except changing it from 512k to 2mb

Back