Build Engine Port?

Muggie

Still Fresh
I was wondering if anyone has ported Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, or any other Build Engine Games to the Pandora yet. The Build Engine is open source, along with the games above and many others. Has anyone done it, or is there any plans?

I was wondering if anyone has ported Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, or any other Build Engine Games to the Pandora yet. The Build Engine is open source, along with the games above and many others. Has anyone done it, or is there any plans?
Duke3D has been ported. I don't think build (the editor) was included.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duke3D has been ported. I don't think build (the editor) was included.

Do you know where the download is for this? It's not in the repo, on apps.openpandora or openhandhelds, and I can't find any links in the forum :blink:

I have heard that PND has some minor flaws i.e. requires Timidity for sound (wasnt included int the PND), has anyone else had a go at porting eduke?

The appstore is a mess right now and wasn't updated in months. If there weren't some pnds that are nowhere else, I would suggest to shut it down completely...

What about Shadow Warrior? Has anyone ported that? It's one of those games I really wanted to play on my Pandora.

I was just looking at JonoF's page and clicked on the Shadow Warrior link. His site is now currently suspended apprently.

Something else of interest, if you're not aware, somebody has made a true room over room mod

somebody has made a true room over room mod
For me, the charm of the original Duke 3D was that they basically faked all 3D. One of the best moments was when I discovered that the bridge towards the exit in level 1 were just a bunch of sprites floating in the air.

I used to have fun making multi-level maps in blood.. some of the charm of the engine is doing those tricks..

I coulda sworn I remembered a room-over-room trick even on the original. It was frequently required for dealing with mirrors, as I recall, but that's pushing on a nearly 15 year memory so I'm probably forgetting something.

You could stack as many rooms on the same Z level as you wanted, as long as you could never see two overlapping sectors at the same time.

I don't know, I always remember some glitches when doing two (seperate) corridors through each other. You'd occasionally see part of the other corridor. It was endearing.

Rooms for mirrors didn't make a difference, because you never were normally able to enter the mirror room.

I remember trying to make a room over room using loads of "floor" sprites.

I look forward to trying out Duke on my Pandora when I get home, maybe dust off a few of the old custom maps too ;)

I've used the BUILD Editor for years and made some huge Levels. There are many tricks to make Room Over Room in Duke3D, including sprites. But as long you don't see a room over a room from outside (through a window for example) , you can stack as many romms as you want, but since the Build Editor only has one 2D perspective (top down) , you better don't mess with to much stuff overlapping. ;)

The Engine was great, many interactivre stuff, turrets, triggers, traps, Security Cameras... I made some evil Bunker system with tons of traps. :D

I used to try to push the overlapping to its limits.

Like a building with four floors, windows on all sides and part of the roof blown off. You really had to manage your sectors properly to do that. Ensure that there was no angle where you could see the two floors and prevent vertices and edges of different floors from overlapping.

The overlapping was always the last thing to do. Once connected, it was extremely hard to decouple the sectors.

Ah...good times, good times indeed :)

So I was right, I knew it was possible to have rooms over rooms. Didn't know about the restriction that you just couldn't see the two at the same time.

So for the curious, what happens if you do build such a building and then look in through the windows? Hard crash or just bad rendering?

So I was right, I knew it was possible to have rooms over rooms. Didn't know about the restriction that you just couldn't see the two at the same time.

So for the curious, what happens if you do build such a building and then look in through the windows? Hard crash or just bad rendering?

Just bad rendering if I recall. would get something like a Hall of Mirror effect.

Although in Blood I had an upper and lower and a shared courtyard were you could look up to the second level.. I think this was handled like how similar to how water was done.. where the under water section was just in a separate section of the map..

Yes, it would be a hall of mirrors effect.

I know that Shadow Warrior had a special sector effector to realize that multiple floor effect. You had to construct a sort of vertical mirror to do that. Though you could never see two of these effectors simultaneously or the same problem would occur.

Back