Pandora Building Pandora Distro

MadDog

Website
www.maddoggames.com
I'm calling it the 'pandora distro' because as far as I can work out (i'm not 100% on how it all works) it's the Angstrom kernel with the Matchbox UI and changed to work on the Pandora, correct???

Anyway, following the wiki docs I've grabbed the source, but the next line in the wiki does not work.

git checkout --track -b pandora-27-omap1 origin/pandora-27-omap1

I get this output.

fatal: Not a git repository
Failed to find a valid git directory.

I've got two Omap3 development systems, zoom1 and zoom2 (zoom2 has same screen) so want I to see what Angstrom is like. Also hoping to use the kits in my spare time to play with a 'pretrend' Pandora. When more come in stock I may get one. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. :)

I'm now getting the openembedded tool chain. It turns out easy to install on Ubuntu (I'm using 8.04 in Sun's VirtualBox)

Ok, so I think I have open embedded setup and bitbake installed. Turned out to be a couple of apt-get calls....

CODE

sudo apt-get install ccache sed wget cvs subversion git-core coreutils unzip texi2html texinfo libsdl1.2-dev docbook-utils gawk python-pysqlite2 diffstat help2man

sudo apt-get install bitbake

sudo git clone git://git.openembedded.net/openembedded

(There is a bit about fixing a problem with dash, bit beyond me but the check showed mine needed fixing, was very simple. The text on this is just after that part that gave me the apt-get calls.
"http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Getting_Started"

This has left me with a folder in the folder I set aside for my 'OS' build called openembedded.

The next step in the docs talk about setting up a configuration file. Now I want to create a build that matches the one that the Pandora will ship with (or as close as I can).
Is there a config file somewhere I can get?
Also another bit I'm a little confused about, do the changes to the distro get added to the repositories of Ångström?

If someone makes a killer app that is decided will get shipped with new systems where would it get added? I'm getting there but still a little fuzzy with where stuff is and goes. The bottom line is that I want to be able to build and run what Evil Dragon is running on he's devkit. And that I can update it when important changes happen. I want to escape the situation I had with the gp2x where I could not build the OS (down to my lack of Linux knowledge) and so could not build drivers. (my tool chain did not match the GCC used to build the OS).

Richard e Collins.

P.s. when is say OS I mean the distribution and all the bits that it needs, the whole package. Not sure the correct word to use. ;)

'MadDog' said:

I'm now getting the openembedded tool chain. It turns out easy to install on Ubuntu (I'm using 8.04 in Sun's VirtualBox)
Be warned that building will likely be quite slow unless you have a really fast computer.

EDIT: Read here:

CODE
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/building-%C3%A5ngstr%C3%B6m

It's a better how-to, IMO. For "machine", you likely want "omap3-pandora"

'MadDog' said:
If someone makes a killer app that is decided will get shipped with new systems where would it get added? I'm getting there but still a little fuzzy with where stuff is and goes. The bottom line is that I want to be able to build and run what Evil Dragon is running on he's devkit. And that I can update it when important changes happen. I want to escape the situation I had with the gp2x where I could not build the OS (down to my lack of Linux knowledge) and so could not build drivers. (my tool chain did not match the GCC used to build the OS).
The devs have been working on a type of xml file they call a PXML file that contains information about a program that would be useful for a GUI to know (similar to a .desktop file). They've also written a program of some sort or another that packages a program and it's .pxml file into a .pnd package. If you place one of these .pnd packages anywhere on the SD card, the GUI (assuming it's incorporated the PND/PXML loading libraries, which it should - the official ones will) will just search the SD cards on launch for all/new (not sure which) PND/PXML files and will just add them into the interface in the correct place using the information in the PXML file.

New files in general should be added to the SD though. The idea is to keep the NAND reserved for firmware and system files, as it's not removable and if it burns out due to writes (highly unlikely), then you'll have to get a whole new board to fix it, as opposed to just getting a new SD card.

Even un-pandorified launchers have a good shot at working with pnd files.

The daemon included with libpnd spits out .desktop files that include an Exec line referring to the shell script that mounts and launches the pnd files .. so E17 or WindowMAker or the like can just be built, and have a good shot at just working.

That said, before you make any assumptions that cost you time, talk to DJWillis; he's running the images and baking and all that, so he can tell you whats going on, or give you recipies/etc.

jeff

'Capn_Fish' said:
'MadDog' said:

Be warned that building will likely be quite slow unless you have a really fast computer.

EDIT: Read here:

CODE
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/building-%C3%A5ngstr%C3%B6m

It's a better how-to, IMO. For "machine", you likely want "omap3-pandora"

Yes that link it is a lot easier to follow. One problem is that I can not find the conf file for the pandora. There are six files for omap but the names are cryptic so I don't know if they would be suitable.

Ta. :)

Ok, thinking about it, I did "git clone git://git.openembedded.net/openembedded.git org.openembedded.stable " as per the instructions on Ångström. Has the pandora stuff in the stable build??? If not which repository / branch should have I got?

P.s. I'm a noob at this 'git' stuff and repositories. :)

'MadDog' said:
Ok, thinking about it, I did "git clone git://git.openembedded.net/openembedded.git org.openembedded.stable " as per the instructions on Ångström. Has the pandora stuff in the stable build??? If not which repository / branch should have I got?

P.s. I'm a noob at this 'git' stuff and repositories. :)
the pandora machine is AFAIK only in the .dev branch; in the above git repository you can just use

CODE
git branch --track origin/org.openembedded.dev org.openembedded.dev

Back