Built-in Usb Host

captive

Still Fresh
Is there anyone her who tried the mod to add a built-in usb host (link)???
Looking for some (in)success story, before trying...

Would pay for that being done to my GP2X...
It is soooooo cool to be able to plug an Ipod or anything in. (like a PS2 USB converter when PSX emu is ready, or a DDR adncemat...;))
I love the BoB idea but it is not as portable as just a plug inside the GP2X. (after a quick thought...A dance mat is not portable too.... :'( )

see you :lol:

I don't know why but whenever anyone mentions this mod, I can't help it but say that the guy who made is sooooooo brave, I would never dare drilling or soldering anything inside the precious GP2X :D

maybe just a design thing....
I have a MK2....where to get a cable?
(I was in holydays for a month without internet so I may have missed that)

see you :lol:

Luckily the hackAday mod is the same as the one we're talking about :rolleyes:

We don't want to do any kid of modification to our GP2X :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing mod, extremely neat, they should've made the gp2x that way in the first place. On the subject of cables, gp2x.co.uk's site said something about working on more peripherals, so they may release a usb on(ly excuse my bad spelling please) mini bob (well, i hope they do).

Unfortunately the only choice right now is artaylor's cable.

If you want to make one, the information is on the wiki (see my sig for links), general consensus is that if you cannot build it with the info in those links and the knowledge that a Samsung e810 cellphone data cable(SERIAL, NOT USB) has all the pins needed, you should buy one.

PS, I found a $0.38 chip to replace the "filtering" schematic, it is a tiny 6-leg surface mount chip and will fit under just about any connector shell. The common name is USB Host Terminator, or Upstream port terminator, I started the $20 USB thread on purpose with that information.

Fact is that the TV cable should have that 38-cent part in it and a USB cable on it, and they can make buckets of money selling them at $20.

I sold my GP2X and am unable right now to walk people through building their own cable. If serious they should take an electrical circuits course and pick up some basic skills, or there might be a textbook or beginners handbook that could teach you the needed skills.

I thought the original poster wanted to do a hackaday mod, was I mistaken?

nubie posted on Aug 24 2006 at 11:01 PM said:
Fact is that the TV cable should have that 38-cent part in it and a USB cable on it, and they can make buckets of money selling them at $20.

Have you tried proposing this to current sellers of GP2x USB host cables? It sounds like a great idea! Maybe that toyz4boyz website would manufacturer it?

Fishbong posted on Aug 25 2006 at 01:08 AM said:
It works with a First edition aswell, you just dont have a powered USB port and need to get the power from elsewhere...

that's the point: i'd like to plug low-power devices (pen drives) or self powered devices directly, without using another ac/dc adapter.. if i had a mk2, ARTaylor cable would have been the right solution, unfortunately i couldn't wait and i got a mk1... :D

I prefer the built.in mod ... according to his site this mod can supply 500mAh thats more than enoughf for most usb devices as for the cable , according to Artaylor's site the cable olny suply's 100mAh that rules out a hole bunch of gadgets. A random usb wi.fi adaptor that i googled needs 370mAh.
To keep the gp2x portable i prefer the built.in mod

Back