Bunny Traps V1.0

info on custom.txt is in the readme, same rules applies for words.txt

if anyone makes a custom dictionary let me know as I may add a menu to choose from a list of TXT files in a future release.

Nice font :) Nicely done!

The only nits..

1) I've not seen an English word yet; they're all random letters so far, so obscure or nasty.. so can't win :)

2) If you're really reaching, an option to invert the direction of letters; my wife keeps pressing up and expecting it to go the other way

I can't remember the really weird ones, but I just got these:
gene_a ... "genera" . General? A type of salami?
_antlet ... "gantlet". Guessed that one.

Okay, I'll eat crow; "emitted" and "confused" just came through, whew. I guess I had bad luck.

We need dictionaries for gp32 words, retro game names, hotties, etc :)

jeff

My wife is hooked.

damn this is hard, even on easy I keep getting squashed :(

but good work :D

Guyfawkes posted on Apr 4 2005 at 06:01 PM said:
I knew I forgot something, thanks critical :) I just updated the game to show the word if you die, if you downloaded before please download again.

I've had another thought... this could be further expanded into an even more powerful game by the (optional) addition of definitions for words. Having read a few posts about this game, some people didn't know what some of the words actually meant. Once the word has been correctly guessed or death has occured, the user could press a button (select?) to obtain a definition of the word.

I had a quick look, and an Online Plain Text English Dictionary exists, is in the public domain, and has one definition per line. The total uncompressed html size of the dictionary is under 19MB. It's separated out into each letter of the alphabet.

So, these html files could be parsed to grab just those words of between 6 and 14 characters, then uppercased in order to create a 'custom.txt'. Then, an additional step could be to take those words and their definitions and have them in a separate map file 'custom.ref' to do the lookup when the user requests it.

You can get the dictionary from here:
OPTED dictionary

If you're interested, I could do the parsing part and send you the two files.

Last edited by a moderator:
But damn that bunny looks sad... :(

I mean, as most non-natives, my vocabulary ain't that good, so the poor thing gets strung up...

I wish he'd look more evil. :D

BTW, how many MHZ does this use? Was thinking, seems simple in software terms, ergo doesn't need as much mhz, ergo battery could last longer, ergo I could play longer... :huh:

Darts is class as well; the voiceovers are an amazing touch. Darts+BunnyTraps are amusing my wife to no end :)

jeff

skeezix - your wife will love the next game im working on, ive been going mad coding it ;)

its running at the default cpu speed (66Mhz), could probably run alot lower so ill check this out later on. i left it at default because the chatboard init code would crash if changed but i fixed that but didnt change the cpu speed.

i agree that the game can be very hard with the current dictionary. two ways of solving it: either go through words.txt and remove all the hard word or make a new words.txt. it would be cool if people made their own themed dictionary like a computer one, gp32 one etc. I will definately support that in the game and make a loader for them if there is enough interest.

The reference idea is nice but its probably too much work to be honest, I will have a look though. After one or two more releases i am looking to have the game finished to move onto other things.

Guyfawkes posted on Apr 4 2005 at 04:22 PM said:
As promised here is the first version of my latest homebrew game Bunny Traps to celebrate the 3rd anniversary of GP32Emu. This release has a 40,000+ word dictionary, custom dictionary support, chatboard support, 10 different dangers to escape from and multiple high scores to save and beat.

I hope you enjoy the game, if you play it please give any feedback by replying here, even if its just to say its good or bad. We spent alot of time on this game so its not much to ask for. I would also like to say a big thanks to Rik Nicol who done a great job with the graphics and music!

You can download the game from the post at Emuholic here.

Hi! - Excellent game mate! - Just a couple of suggestions/requests? :) - As it's bloody hard to guess some of the words, could you possibly include a "hint" option for kids and thicker peeps like me?

Even if it's just for the custom words, and a single word hint! (i.e. if it finds 2 or more words on a line (or a delimiter?), then the first part could be the word/words, and the other(s) could be the hint?)

i.e. Word: MEMENTO
Hint: FILM

In addition to this, could it be expanded to possibly include short phrases or even just more than 1 word? - i.e. Films, Songs, etc..? (I know space on-screen is at a premium, but you've already proved that you've got the gp32_console sussed! ;)

Basically - My young daughter loved the look of it, but gave up after loads of dead bunnies! - I was going to put in custom words for her, but I thought I'd ask about hints, in case you were feeling even *more* generous! ;)

Thanks again for a GREAT game though - Keep it up please!

Cheers...

Guyfawkes posted on Apr 5 2005 at 02:51 PM said:
skeezix - your wife will love the next game im working on, ive been going mad coding it ;)

its running at the default cpu speed (66Mhz), could probably run alot lower so ill check this out later on. i left it at default because the chatboard init code would crash if changed but i fixed that but didnt change the cpu speed.

i agree that the game can be very hard with the current dictionary. two ways of solving it: either go through words.txt and remove all the hard word or make a new words.txt. it would be cool if people made their own themed dictionary like a computer one, gp32 one etc. I will definately support that in the game and make a loader for them if there is enough interest.

The reference idea is nice but its probably too much work to be honest, I will have a look though. After one or two more releases i am looking to have the game finished to move onto other things.

Just wondering, what happened with the bingo game that I did the graphics for? Is that still going to be released someday?

Japster posted on Apr 21 2005 at 05:29 PM said:
Hi! - Excellent game mate! - Just a couple of suggestions/requests? :) - As it's bloody hard to guess some of the words, could you possibly include a "hint" option for kids and thicker peeps like me?

Even if it's just for the custom words, and a single word hint! (i.e. if it finds 2 or more words on a line (or a delimiter?), then the first part could be the word/words, and the other(s) could be the hint?)

i.e. Word: MEMENTO
Hint: FILM

In addition to this, could it be expanded to possibly include short phrases or even just more than 1 word? - i.e. Films, Songs, etc..? (I know space on-screen is at a premium, but you've already proved that you've got the gp32_console sussed! ;)

Basically - My young daughter loved the look of it, but gave up after loads of dead bunnies! - I was going to put in custom words for her, but I thought I'd ask about hints, in case you were feeling even *more* generous! ;)

Thanks again for a GREAT game though - Keep it up please!

Cheers...

It is a good idea, and you could bring the hint up by pressing select or something, but it'd make the dictionary double in size, and someone has to manually go through each and every word and add a hint. If you was prepared to do that, I'm sure Guyfawkes would be happy to add the new dictionary parsing and hint code to the game, but I'd suggest a custom dictionary would be more feasable.

thanks for the feedback japster.

hints are a nice idea but i am not looking to make any large changes to the game as i am working on another game at the moment, only bugfixes will take priority for now.

i had hoped that someone would make their own custom dictionary which contained easier words or themed words but i havent seen any yet. this would make the game alot easier as the words are guessable :)

if anyone is interested in making custom dictionarys let me know by replying here and we can work something out.

Guyfawkes posted on Apr 21 2005 at 07:31 PM said:
thanks for the feedback japster.

hints are a nice idea but i am not looking to make any large changes to the game as i am working on another game at the moment, only bugfixes will take priority for now.

i had hoped that someone would make their own custom dictionary which contained easier words or themed words but i havent seen any yet. this would make the game alot easier as the words are guessable :)

if anyone is interested in making custom dictionarys let me know by replying here and we can work something out.

Heh heh - No problems - it was worth a try - Thanks for humouring me guys! :D

However, I was actually thinking more along the lines of the existing logic being slightly modified - i.e:- to read the first word, and treat a second word as a hint, but only if found? - As for custom dictionaries, I guess that would probably work just as well, as they could be themed as suggested elsewhere?

i.e. picking films.txt, food.txt, etc would effectively pick a category, removing the need for the hint word (though it would probably remove the ability to have differently categoried questions in memory at once!)

Ah well, I'll have to make a few small sets up for the daughter, and post 'em up! :rolleyes:

Cheers again!

great game! finally got round to trying it last night, although I agree the dictionary is a bit unenglish! I killed bunny trying to guess "gerund" ??!

quality stuff

hopefully once one or two custom dictionarys are online it may entice people to play the game again and make their own. would be cool if that happened and would certainly persuade me to work on the game some more :)

ok I've found a 1024 word file that should work nicely, only haven't got my gp32 to test it on now. Anyone got somewhere to host it?

Hi,

The custom-text.zip looks good but all the words need to be in uppercase for it to be recognised. I have reformatted the words to uppercase so it should work fine now, you can download it here.

There is full info on the custom dictionary in the readme with Bunny Traps.

Back