Buying An Aeroplane?

FabreNZ

After seeing some images of aeroplanes left out to rot at an airport, some for as long as 30 years, I got to thinking about how awesome it would be to buy one of them. I wouldn't care how old or new it was, but I would be wanting one of the aeroplanes that gets left out to rot, because surely the owners would be willing to sell it really cheaply (at least compared to a brand new Boeing).

One usage for an old aeroplane would be for a flight simulator. You wouldn't need a huge hydraulic cockpit like the professional simulators, you could just cut the cockpit off one of these aeroplanes and fit it with screens in the windows, and sensors in the important controls (it would be way too hard to get everything in the cockpit hooked up to a PC, but it should be easy enough to hook up the essentials).

So does anyone know how much an old aeroplane (such as one of these) would cost?

Blah posted on Feb 8 2005 at 01:53 PM said:
That old thing?! The Smithsonian will get it before you do.

Not old; classic!

:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Just don't do what the UK pub landlord did... bought an old bomber for very little to use outside his pub (cheap advertising). What he didn't bank on was the £90k the RAF would want to cut the wings off, crane the bits onto 3 trucks, dive it all to his pub, crane it back off then get it rebuilt.

Story Here...

J(ohn)

it'd be kinda cool to live in one of those maybe. or convert into a novelty restaurant.

Back