C# .NET Visual Studio Code

milkshake

Advanced Member
Since my day job is a C# dot net developer I though I would share some exciting news (for those that don't already follow Microsoft updates).

Things are starting to get a bit more awesome for C# in regards to cross platform development and runtime...

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/IntroducingVisualStudioCodeForWindowsMacAndLinux.aspx

I know a lot of people in the community probably hate Microsoft and of course Microsoft cant simply wash away years of bad decisions and practices but they are starting to change for the better.

Whoohooo..

Build and debug modern web and cloud applications
oh, never mind...

I guess I should accept that WinForms is all but dead, but I hate the WPF designer, and can't stand ASP.NET (and web development in general).

Still, I guess I could just shift to Qt; but there's quite a lot about VB, C# and the .NET framework that I love. Qt suffers from having C++ baggage too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoohooo..

Build and debug modern web and cloud applications
oh, never mind...

I guess I should accept that WinForms is all but dead, but I hate the WPF designer, and can't stand ASP.NET (and web development in general).

Still, I guess I could just shift to Qt; but there's quite a lot about VB, C# and the .NET framework that I love. Qt suffers from having C++ baggage too.
I have minimal hopes that something will sprout of the google summer of code entry for Qt bindings for Mono. But no love for VB, that would practically be heresy :angry:

But no love for VB, that would practically be heresy :angry:
I'll be honest, I don't get it. As somebody who uses both languages, I really don't see the difference other than a little syntax.

Personally it's WinForms I can't stand, WPF is just wonderfull... except for the fact that it's windows only unfortunately...
I've not really used WPF much (or at all) since it's first inception. I've just loaded it up in VS2013, and seems a bit better than it used to be.
However, what I liked about WinForms, is how easy it was (or at least, how I found it) to completely render your own control using GDI+. There doesn't seem to be anything like a "Paint" event in WPF, but that could be just the way I look at making certain controls.

Well, WinForms is much easier to start with as the editor is way easier to use and the WPF editor is not great. but most of the time I actually write XAML code, I'm not using the visual editor that much... and you just don't have to care about all the awful plumbing code, it's so much cleaner and easier once you are used too...

Ah, a great new code editor... Which way to the pandora / pyra version?

Sorry, but I'm not going for this closed-source crap. I remember the excitement when Kylix came out, bringing the power RAD to linux for the first time. Sure it was buggy, but it could've become the lingua franca of cross-platfor GUI if it weren't closed source, and Borland didn't decide to kill it when it saw no short-term profits from it.

I'm not saying Microsoft will surely shut this project down anytime soon, but I'm not even going to try it before its name starts showing up in job descriptions. And I fail to see any relation to Pandora whatsoever, so it's pretty much off-topic IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but I'm not going for this closed-source crap
That's great, because ... there's no closed source here.
Well, I'm not sure about the actual editor, but you can get around some of that by reading this
I don't understand your comment. Do you imply there is source code available?I didn't get that impression by reading https://code.visualstudio.com/License.
Well, the .NET framework is now open source.I don't know exactly their plans for the editor, however, that article said it was based off an opensource editor by GitHub called Electron.

Aren't there still some important parts of .net that are not open/free?

well, it seems only part of it has been released yet but more will come...

Back