C4A Compo for April 2015

I was so sure i won rickyd, i got to bed and woke up at the third place. And i woke up a tad after the end of the month...

Judging from the scores we all failed at the same spot tho.

I just noticed/remembered that Space Rocks! only submits a score if it's better than any previously submitted one. Should this be changed or should I provide instructions on how to reset the "best previously submitted score" counter?

EDIT: I played a ~40k game before noticing this :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I just noticed/remembered that Space Rocks! only submits a score if it's better than any previously submitted one. Should this be changed or should I provide instructions on how to reset the "best previously submitted score" counter?

EDIT: I played a ~40k game before noticing this :D
Please change it :) Skeezix made modifications so that flooding scores is not an issue anymore. Or you could at least programmatically reset that restriction every month or every week for example.

WAIT. Space Rocks! actually always sends the BEST local high score if it's better than the one previously sent. Resetting the previously sent score results in the local high score being re-submitted, as I accidentally just did. This kind of time-constrained competition was not a design concern when the C4A support was being added, so it would seem to currently be a bad fit here :( . Too bad since I was looking forward to seeing how well people could play it.

Hm, I'll take a peek if I can fix this easily.

EDIT: Fixing this would require either changing the high score format or the way SR communicates with C4A. There's currently no date information attached to the high score format, and SR does all C4A stuff outside the game using a score extracting utility. This leads to the SR running script being unaware which scores were just added. Adding a time stamp to each score would fix this, as it could be compared to "previously sent" timestamp (much like the current "previously sent" score). The other possibility is to send the scores immediately using Ziz's C4A library. Even then it would probably be a good idea to tag which scores have been sent and which have not to be able to send scores reached offline.

I'll take a look.

I was so sure i won rickyd, i got to bed and woke up at the third place. And i woke up a tad after the end of the month...

Judging from the scores we all failed at the same spot tho.
I did my score one or two hours before the end of the month, ;)

For me it was Egypt map, where you need to shoot the wall, and a stone falls down.

Huh i was further than that? Shenanigans! 

I failed at this spikes where a ladder blocks you jump.

Update: I almost implemented sparrowNet-based C4A support to Space Rocks! today that attempts to upload all non-uploaded scores at game over. There's a bug I've contacted Ziz about, but I'll try to get it working soon enough for the compo.

Really fun to play c4a games. Even moreso when there is a compo.

I did get to lvl6 on barbarian, didnt register though, maybe it will later.
Mmmm, I just re-checked, it seems there is a problem when you loose. The game just restart and no score is submited. The score is submited when you (rage)quit a game though. I have to fix that too.

That's the room that ended my run too, I think?

You drop in from the top, there are spikes on the roof preventing you jumping to the right, and spikes beside the platform on the bottom that you can't jump over because of the ladder beside them.

I tried all sorts of falls and jumps, shooting things... then died and gave up.

I almost went back for one more try, when I remembered that some things (like in a screen just before that one) can be triggered by poking with your stick.. if only I'd looked around that room for some sort of switch in the walls....!

Really fun to play c4a games. Even moreso when there is a compo.

I did get to lvl6 on barbarian, didnt register though, maybe it will later.
Mmmm, I just re-checked, it seems there is a problem when you loose. The game just restart and no score is submited. The score is submited when you (rage)quit a game though. I have to fix that too.
Fixed, get the new version on the repo (but your level 6 score is lost, sorry).

Got it working, I was just being blind and missed an extra semicolon :D . I'll wrap up a release soon.

That's the room that ended my run too, I think?

You drop in from the top, there are spikes on the roof preventing you jumping to the right, and spikes beside the platform on the bottom that you can't jump over because of the ladder beside them.

I tried all sorts of falls and jumps, shooting things... then died and gave up.

I almost went back for one more try, when I remembered that some things (like in a screen just before that one) can be triggered by poking with your stick.. if only I'd looked around that room for some sort of switch in the walls....!
I got there with full lives and spend them all at that point.

Its actually quite simple: Go on the ladder and move right, i managed that with my last live only to get killed by the enemy there. At that point i got to bed.

Seems to work. Uploading to repo soon. This update WILL erase your current LOCAL high scores.

Now that's a fairly nice score in Space Rocks! Quite plasma-heavy run with a dash of beam for cleanup. Almost got to the fabled level 21 :p

Back