C4A (Compo4All), One Year Later

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
If you remember, it's been a little more than a year since Skeezix launched his service Compo4All, AKA C4A, to build online leaderboards on emulated and original/indie games. It's been a while now, and I feel it was appropriate to come back on how it's been evolving and what we should expect from it in the future.

->> Continue Reading

c4apromo.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the article. We don't really know whether anyone has cheated yet, do we?

We don't really know whether anyone has cheated yet, do we?
Well I did fake a score once when coding in the c4all support for OpenTyrian..  I'm a bad person.

Security, Offline-but-not-Online-yet-Score-watchdogs, preinstalled C4A for the Pyra and other fancy stuff sounds awesome, but how about ascending sorting? :\

Oh and I am not sure, what you mean with "In the meantime, a good option is for C4A to go multiplatform. The code for the client and the server is available on Github and it would be trivial to port it for other platforms. Yet nobody has done it… at the time of writing.".

If you are speaking exactly about the C4A implementation of skeezix, you are right. Especially Mame4all is Pandora only atm.

But Snowman, Puzzletube, Powermanga and others have C4A support on the GCW, too, using sparrowNet. ;)

Three kids :0

I'm thinking that for the rewrite, I may add an optional secured side .. ie: for games or scenarios where mistrust is desired, we could do the signed binaries, authentication, binary verification.. bullshitnthatncomesnwithnmistrusting players. Makes it suck for devs and players both but might be cool for spontaneous or planned tournamentsnand chsllenges.. achievements etc

Christ Imhate typing on a tablet

fwiw my insane Zikzak project will hopefully slow down a bit soon .. I think I have achieved my learning goals and the hardware design is more or less where I want it; doimg an OS, case, carts is awesome but I can slow down once I debug some bad soldering in my current test unit :) So hopefully more time for nailing down c4a v2 spec amd writing it up..

and just wait until we add c4a into infocom text adventures, compilers, irc clients... scoring your typing rate :)

i really hope we can come up with a good system overlay/plugiin system so pyra users can swipe in a notification window snd see c4a challenges and updates etc..

Unfortunately, even binary signing etc. Will not prevent people from downclocking their unit to make for example arcade games easier.

There would need to be some system specs checked, too.

Unfortunately, even binary signing etc. Will not prevent people from downclocking their unit to make for example arcade games easier.

There would need to be some system specs checked, too.
There is no way to avoid cheating, unless you require people to compete in an exam-room environment.

Making cheating trivial is probably the best way to avoid the creation of a meta-competition in an anti-anti-cheating arms race.

and just wait until we add c4a into infocom text adventures, compilers, irc clients... scoring your typing rate :)

i really hope we can come up with a good system overlay/plugiin system so pyra users can swipe in a notification window snd see c4a challenges and updates etc..
Heh, dare I say I'd like another shot at the Tournament Hub... However, I can pretty much guarantee it's not going to happen :(

Back