Caanoo Battery Drains In 36 Hours.

rsuryase

Caanoo battery drains from full to empty in 36 hours without usage. What to do? Send to Korea for replacement?

Mine was like that when I first got it but it has vastly improved over time.

All rechargeable batteries have a break-in period, Which can be usually 4-5 full
charge and discharge cycles before they will reach full capacity. You should then
see a marked improvement with how long the caanoo will last on a full charge.

Trooper

The thing is I had mine since when it was first released. It didn't behave like this before so I assume the battery has gone bad but I will recharge it several times and see if it improves.

Well, Seeing as though you have had it quite a while, I am also guessing that
you have been using it often during the time you have owned it ?.

It does look as though the battery could be starting to degrade quite badly.
Which could be down to age, Or how it has been looked after.

Pro personal tip: (sod what the techies say), I cycle my rechargeable batteries
(full charge/full discharge) as often or as frequent as i can or is convenient, And
i still have batteries that are nearly ten years old that still hold a decent charge.

Trooper

Yes I used my Caanoo A LOT. I play 1 hr on it everyday on my commute to work/home on bus. More hrs on the weekends :blink:

trooper said:
(full charge/full discharge) as often or as frequent as i can or is convenient, And
i still have batteries that are nearly ten years old that still hold a decent charge.

Which is exactly the way to damage the Lithium Polymer battery in your Caanoo. While NiCd and NiMH batteries had a memory effect which reduced the charging capacity, if you recharge the battery, before it is fully empty (e.g. recharging at 20% remaining capacity let to a battery with 80% overall capacity), in Lithium Polymer batteries this effect doesn't exist.
Completely decharging an LiPo battery can cause damage to the battery and is not advised.
The main reason, why users of LiPo batteries think, they have to dry their battery completely before recharging is, that the batteries have a fixed number of charging cycles (around 500), so the theory is, if you only can charge your battery 500 times, better charge an empty battery and not a half full one. But this is a false assumption, because a loading cycle on a LiPo battery isn't calculated like this. If you empty your LiPo battery to 50% and recharge it you only used 1/2 charging cycle. So it doesn't matter how often you charge your battery, but only how much energy you give it.

Last edited by a moderator:
CKeichel said:
trooper said:

Which is exactly the way to damage the Lithium Polymer battery in your Caanoo. While NiCd and NiMH batteries had a memory effect which reduced the charging capacity, if you recharge the battery, before it is fully empty (e.g. recharging at 20% remaining capacity let to a battery with 80% overall capacity), in Lithium Polymer batteries this effect doesn't exist.
Completely decharging an LiPo battery can cause damage to the battery and is not advised.
The main reason, why users of LiPo batteries think, they have to dry their battery completely before recharging is, that the batteries have a fixed number of charging cycles (around 500), so the theory is, if you only can charge your battery 500 times, better charge an empty battery and not a half full one. But this is a false assumption, because a loading cycle on a LiPo battery isn't calculated like this. If you empty your LiPo battery to 50% and recharge it you only used 1/2 charging cycle. So it doesn't matter how often you charge your battery, but only how much energy you give it.

That maybe the way it is suppose to work, But in practice i personally have found that charge cycling batteries has actually made them (for me) last much longer and perform much better between charges, No matter what the battery technology. I have had friends go through quite a few phone batteries (for example), When i am still on the original battery that came with the phone, And i have usually had the phone quite a while before them. Most of them are usually of the type that trickle and opportunely charge their batteries, Whether fully discharged or not, But mostly not.

So this has been my experience regarding rechargeable batteries, And will continue to follow these practices, As i actually gain better performance from them because of this. Disclaimer: YMMV

Trooper

I have found the opposite, deep cycling a lithium battery has been a disaster for me..

Completetly draining a lithium-based battery is evil. Actually thats why there is always a sort of protective electronics to ensure its never deeply discharged. However if you got there i had been able to revive seemingly dead phones. (actually an near empty battery left for a good heap of time in which self discharge did its evil) I plugged them into mains to charge. No live sign to be seen. Let it be for awhile. Then reconnected the contact. Repeated this. After some "cycles" the display went back into action and normal loading took place.

I assume the battery wasn't fully dead but had no power to get the basic things done safe for the most basic thing: the power regulating electronic.

I`m not sure of people`s idea of `Deep Charging`, But i know the that my idea of `Deep Charging`
is definitely bad for any type of rechargeable battery. Which is letting said rechargeable battery
drain right down to 0%, Then leaving it indefinitely without an charge in it whatsoever. That is
BAD for any battery, As StarG mentions above.

Me personally, I will use a rechargeable battery until the item it is powering switches off
because low or zero power, And i will do this as often or frequently as i can, With any
rechargeable battery powered item i own, Or happen to be using, I will then immediately place
the item or battery on charge, Or at the next opportunity.

Hope that clears things up, I am honestly not a battery murderer. :D

Trooper

I'm lucky to get 3 hours worth of play out of mine. Maybe its because I have MAME overclocked at 700 Mhz? Who knows.

jlenoconel said:
I'm lucky to get 3 hours worth of play out of mine. Maybe its because I have MAME overclocked at 700 Mhz? Who knows.

3 hours with constant 700 MHz? Seems pretty normal.

The issue is, if I leave mine OFF (what part of OFF does the Caanoo not understand?) the battery is drained as well. How can we fix this horrible fail? Has there been a recall for this issue or something?

CKeichel said:
jlenoconel said:

3 hours with constant 700 MHz? Seems pretty normal.

Its not 700 MHz all the time though, just some of the time. I guess it must be normal then :(

kikendo said:
The issue is, if I leave mine OFF (what part of OFF does the Caanoo not understand?) the battery is drained as well. How can we fix this horrible fail? Has there been a recall for this issue or something?

...but then I read this kind of stuff and it makes me worry.

When I can, I use my Caanoo while it's plugged in so that it doesn't rely on the battery as much. I haven't had any problems with it, and I've played it for hours at a time while waiting or travelling.

I usually don't remember if I charge it or not, but there have been times where I haven't used it in a week, pack it with me, and later realize that the battery is drained.

I picked up a few packs of rechargeable NIMH AA batteries for my old handhelds. They're manufactured by Rayovac, they have a much lower self-discharge rate, they work in any NiMH charger, and they claim to not have a memory effect. They're holding up well, but they are slightly thicker than normal batteries, so they are a tight fit with certain things, like the original Atari Lynx.

Back