Caanoo Emu Pack & Fact Sheets

posted in wrong place before for suggestion

super great work. have you thought about adding a new folder within your pack for things like "ports" with games like doom,quake,duke nukem etc in it,legal shareware versions of corse

you FORGOT on your fact sheet that you had to add the neocd.bin to neocd2x directory to get neo geo cd games to work ie
bios goes in /game/neocd2x/neocd.bin(bios)

Great work! How can you tell which emualtors are used through Ginge?

great work and thanks for you help guys. check out my world record try (part 1) speed run on my nes super mario bros 3 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8M7fuWjod0 .wounder if i can do it this quick on my caanoo

kayuz said:
thanks you Yoshi ;)

First, THANKS!

Second..
I'm a new user and there is the Yoshi EMU pack AND the StarterKit.
Both of them have some overlap.. Which should I use?

Does the starterpack contain anything I might need for gaming? Like backgrounds, customized banners or theme's etc??

The Yoshi pack looks cleaner and more "to the point".. best of the best type of thing, so I'd like to keep it simple and just deploy that, but what am I missing if I don't deploy the starterpack?
ANd how to deploy them both to get the best of both worlds, since there appears to be some overlap in the emulators contained in each.

THanks
-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I try to include only the best emulators in my pack with nice icons and titles. And the fact sheets are useful for everybody to cope with the different button configurations.

BAFelton's pack on the other hand is a great collection with many emulators, not to forget the new Ginge packs. You can copy the missing emulators from these packs to your SD card.

BTW, the next version will contain new/updated emulators and all icons and titles from the skin pack.

Yoshi's pack is aimed at console emulation, while BAFelton's StartKit has a wider variety of emulators (namely, those aimed at computer systems). The StarterKit also includes a firmware update (in case you need it) and a small selection of useful Apps and a copy of 'Timidity' (which is somewhat strange, as I don't think Timidity is used by any of the packaged emulators - Timidity is a sort of midi/sound emulation-thingy that is used by several game and app ports to get around the Caanoo's lack of the proper kind of sound hardware).

I like Yoshi's for the Fact Sheets - it's worth the download just for that, even if you stick with the Starter Kit. I like the "completeness" of the Starter Kit, too. I don't think it matters which way you deploy them if you decide to go with both, as one doesn't have newer versions of any of the emulators over the other (at least, not as of today...). Just my opinion, but I would dump the Starter Kit on first, to get the right folder structure (and update your firmware if you need it), then delete the firmware update files. Next, I'd copy over all of Yoshi's pack, ignoring any duplicates. Then delete the "caanoo_release" folder and "caanoo_release.ini" file - these are for DrPocketSnes, but Yoshi was kind enough to include both versions (fast and compatible) in seperate folders and ini's, so that you can run either one straight from the menu. Also, you can delete "caanoo_hugo" and it's ini file (these are duplicated in "hugo").

However, since both are slightly behind, you'll probably want to update a few of the emulators on your own. DrSMS is now aat v3, and I believe OhBoy has an update as well. Outcast (Atari ST emulator) was fully ported to the Caanoo (the version in StarterKit is a Ginged version, originally for the Wiz). I'm sure other's have updated as well. Check OpenHandhelds for updates.

Having only recently got my Caanoo, this is a great pack to start you off. However, I can't seem to find Ginge anywhere on my Caanoo. I know that I need to run ginge before launching Temper but how do I run ginge as its not in any of the menus? I have checked my memory card and its definitely there.

Am I looking in the wrong place or being a bit thick (probably the latter)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT - Just had a browse again of the Ginge files and the .ini file says DO NOT DISPLAY. So am I right in thinking that Ginge launches automatically now for apps/games that need it?

Jazbur said:
Having only recently got my Caanoo, this is a great pack to start you off. However, I can't seem to find Ginge anywhere on my Caanoo. I know that I need to run ginge before launching Temper but how do I run ginge as its not in any of the menus? I have checked my memory card and its definitely there.

EDIT - Just had a browse again of the Ginge files and the .ini file says DO NOT DISPLAY. So am I right in thinking that Ginge launches automatically now for apps/games that need it?
Ginge is configured to start Temper (Wiz version) directly. It can be used as an example to start other emulators/games directly.

File : /game/temper_wiz.ini

Code:
[info]
name="Temper Wiz"
path="/temper_wiz/ginge_temper.gpe"
icon="/temper_wiz/_icon.png"
title="/temper_wiz/_title.png"
File : /game/temper_wiz/ginge_temper.gpe

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/game/ginge/ginge_prep --nomenu ./temper.gpe

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu
If you want to see Ginge in your Game menu, just rename the file "ginge.ini.do_not_display" to "ginge.ini".

Yoshi Dragon said:
Jazbur said:

Ginge is configured to start Temper (Wiz version) directly. It can be used as an example to start other emulators/games directly.

File : /game/temper_wiz.ini

Code:
[info]
name="Temper Wiz"
path="/temper_wiz/ginge_temper.gpe"
icon="/temper_wiz/_icon.png"
title="/temper_wiz/_title.png"
File : /game/temper_wiz/ginge_temper.gpe

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/game/ginge/ginge_prep --nomenu ./temper.gpe

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu
If you want to see Ginge in your Game menu, just rename the file "ginge.ini.do_not_display" to "ginge.ini".

Thank you for the help Yoshi, Going to have a good play around with my new gadget now :D

Hey just thought i giv a thanks to yoshi & whever else helped out with these emu packs its things like this that made me buy a caanoo, im new the caanoo & yoshs's v3 pack, that made me like the caanoo even more best emu packs with icons,etc. Emu's made easy especially for newbiez like me. a exellent job YOSHI.keep up the good wrk. Also chould u make packs with quake,doom,openbor & mugan.pls thanx for the packs. TOP JOB

Back